Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: The Baron Corbin Era

Started by Z, March 08, 2019, 01:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

I think in a strange way it is a good sign in terms of approach to flim-flam. It's what UFC would do. He's off. Someone else is coming in. It was the match I was looking forward to the most so I am disappointed. I also think that by establishing certain levels of truth and credibility, you will aid the times you want to work something like this. WCW would have just done a non-finish and hurt themselves.

Timothy

Just weird that they apparently didnt plan or tell Pac the finish a week before the PPV even though they were building this match for months.

Either that or VISA issues.

BeardFaceMan

Or PAC was biding his time and waiting until the last possible moment to tell AEW he wouldn't lose while being champion somewhere else, thinking he might get away with it. Speculating is fun! Just seems weird you're so focused on AEW being the ones at fault even though PAC has a history of refusing to do stuff in order to protect himself.

Wonder if PAC and Austin Aries talk to each other a lot behind the scenes as they both have a similar out look on going over and their postion on the card.

hummingofevil

Got to agree with Timothy here. What ever this situation with PAC is any whoever is to blame it's not a strong look for AEW. And actually, back stage politics aside having PAC win is the obvious booking anyway. Hangman is popular and hugely improved but is still not a top tier guy and the story that AEW should be telling is that PAC went to Dragon Gate after WWE, became a bastard, is now unstoppable and there are plenty more like him ready to give The Elite a run for their money. Next unknown in US  Dragon Gate Guy they bring in already has a bit of a push before they start.

I want AEW to be ace but it's fine to wonder what going on. Proof will be in the shows I suppose.

Wonder where this leaves the Fyter Fest match.

I also wonder if CIMA has had a say in any of this. Interesting.

Timothy

I understand they want Page to be a top star but Pac should have gone over here with some sort of big rematch planned for their first tv show. Pac losing doesnt make much sense and I understand why he didnt want to do the job. Either way its quite weird that this happens less then a week before the PPV.

Dave Meltzer is doing all sorts of damage control btw. Interesting to read.

I hope they get an ace replacement because I really want this PPV to be succesful. But the US and European price for this card and now Pac quitting Im not that optimistic that Double or Nothing will be succesful.

Fingers crossed.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Timothy on May 19, 2019, 02:32:08 PM
I understand they want Page to be a top star but Pac should have gone over here with some sort of big rematch planned for their first tv show. Pac losing doesnt make much sense and I understand why he didnt want to do the job. Either way its quite weird that this happens less then a week before the PPV.

Dave Meltzer is doing all sorts of damage control btw. Interesting to read.

I hope they get an ace replacement because I really want this PPV to be succesful. But the US and European price for this card and now Pac quitting Im not that optimistic that Double or Nothing will be succesful.

Fingers crossed.

Double or Nothing will be ace. I agree though that Page should have lost and set up the chase.

As for Meltzer, what you got to remember is that whilst it looks a bit dodgy him being so close to The Bucks that is hardly new and that is fundamentally his business, which is to report on wrestling news. This week there have been 2 or 3 stories where they have literally been texting WWE guys during shows to to try to get confirmations for stories. Dave and Bryan have plenty of contacts in WWE too.

I can see what you mean about how it might be perceived that Dave could be seen to put a positive spin of AEW stuff but TBF if you listen to WON the themes are consistent.

- WWE main roster is most talented roster in wrestling ever.
- RAW and Smackdown are a total mess.
- It is almost all Vince's fault with his short term booking and complete control of writing.
- NXT is ace.
- HHH is ace.
- A lot of WWE wrestlers are fed up with the booking.
- WWE is a financial beast. A huge success.
- But morally when it comes to issues around Saudi, independent contractors, health insurance, etc.
- AEW should be a genuine alternative with better programming.
- But WWE ain't going nowhere.
- WWE will be keeping a close eye on everything AEW do and will react.
- AEW have plenty of money but the aim is to be run as a profit making business.

One complaint I have read this week is that Dave is spinning the AEW TV deal compared to XFL. That seems crazy to me as there does genuinely appear to be a key difference in that AEW will get percentage of TV ad revenue and XFL won't (which could cover costs of a wrestling company but even that would t come close to funding the salaries of an entire league of pro-footballers). The AEW deal is objectively way better than the XFL one so it's just another thing that Meltzer haters have just not thought through.

Spode

Meltzer insisting it isn't a work, ITV Wrestling retweeting PAC saying he's never going to AEW, never mind Double or Nothing. I'm being worked into a shoot, brother.

Deanjam

Quite looking forward to Money in the Bank. I've become convinced that they're finally gonna pull the trigger on Sami and have him win, so no doubt I'm in for a disappointment. Hopefully Ember or Nikki for the women's version.

hummingofevil

Just listened to WOR. I think Dave's explanation seems pretty reasonable.

up_the_hampipe

Daniel Bryan is working the pre-show?!

Mobius

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 19, 2019, 11:32:11 PM
Daniel Bryan is working the pre-show?!

Well he is a tag team champion now, he's lucky to be on the show at all!

Hope Ember and Andrade win the briefcases. I'm at work but I'll follow along and make smug comments about how shit WWE is

Deanjam

I like Bayley. Happy with that.

rjd2

Quote from: Deanjam on May 20, 2019, 12:25:47 AM
I like Bayley. Happy with that.

Aye, not a classic, but plenty of fun spots for sure and Bailey as winner is fine.

Deanjam

Babyface Miz is booked like such a loser. Pins himself at Mania. Attacks Shane from behind on TV but still get bettered. Loses the cage despite battering Shane for 20 minutes with a chair.

Deanjam

WWE unveiling a new title tomorrow on Raw. Can't think what it could be.

Mobius

Quote from: Deanjam on May 20, 2019, 01:02:42 AM
Babyface Miz is booked like such a loser. Pins himself at Mania. Attacks Shane from behind on TV but still get bettered. Loses the cage despite battering Shane for 20 minutes with a chair.

A few weeks ago Shane completely no sold multiple chair shots from Miz then rode off in a limo he is the Best In The World

rjd2

The 205 guys worked hard, but that match did not need to be on what looks a bloated card. Or heck stick it on the pre show.

Deanjam

Deanjam

I thought that whole women's segment was well done.

hummingofevil

Well that was fucking looonnnggggg but I think I've enjoyed most of it. The prick in me has to note that they have got Charlotte nearer to Ric's record. Bailey getting the pops so that is nice.

rjd2

Agreed, the ladies stuff been the most enjoyable elements of the night.

Nothing else that memorable though.

Deanjam

So, Bray is replacing Sami in MitB right?

Deanjam

Fine with that squash. No need to see Elias wrestle.

rjd2

Quote from: Deanjam on May 20, 2019, 02:02:52 AM
Fine with that squash. No need to see Elias wrestle.

Agreed, a back and forth 20 minute match would do little for Roman. Elias can get his heat back easily enough anyhow.

hummingofevil

Aye Roman is going to get booed soon enough for his push so might as well spare us the misery of having to watch his matches. I actually think the fewer superman punches we see the more likeable he is (unless you are a 6 year old child or horny mam - which seem to be his two main demographics - who love that shit).

hummingofevil

This confims my issue with these two. An objectively brilliant match that (but I still have very little interest in either of them as characters - no idea why really, it's me not them I suppose).

rjd2

That was a really fun match with Seth and AJ. Seth if you want to be snarky has some killer moves that never end a match, definitely would add even more to his matches if he won with those.

rjd2

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 20, 2019, 02:37:03 AM
This confims my issue with these two. An objectively brilliant match that (but I still have very little interest in either of them as characters - no idea why really, it's me not them I suppose).

AJ is still over, but damn his character is nothing.