Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:50:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: The Baron Corbin Era

Started by Z, March 08, 2019, 01:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 20, 2019, 08:23:30 PM
utterly grotesque

should be a massive scandal

There's a lot of WWE stuff that should have been massive scandals, but the mainstream generally doesn't give a fuck about wrestling. Probably assumes it's carny bollocks with this stuff going on anyway.

absolutely true, Vince's involvement in the Jimmy Snuka stuff is a scandal that would have killed any other company

hummingofevil

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 20, 2019, 07:52:44 PM
Only spods like us think that though. If you watch WWE TV, it's all kayfabe. The mainstream audience has no idea of the behind the scenes stuff and what Brock's contract is and what other wrestlers feel about him and how he's booked or what the Saudis want etc. Thats how they're able to get away with booking such a shitshow, its only a small percentage of their audience that cares about that stuff.

Okay. Maybe. I'll give you that to a certain extent and we all know and love the types who buy all the merch, carry a belt, treat it as real and suspend belief but are they really a majority? Take the Daniel Bryan or CM Punk or Becky last year and you had arenas full of people screaming for them for months on end, not based on in ring story but a knowledge of the back stage politics. Even the little kids knew it was the bad man Vince McMahon who was not letting DB win. I think the general fan base are a lot more clued up then you say.

Even if I'm wrong Brock coming back and doing that was pretty good in the moment. The guy who has been champ for ever, is a legit UFC fighter loses his title, fucks off for a few weeks and then comes back and destroys everybody putting Seth Rollins on notice and continuing a storyline that has been set up years ago when Rollins cashed in at Mania. The more I think about it the more I like it. They need to book Rollins / Reigns for Mania (or first night on FOX - don't waste it on Saudis or Summerslam) and have Brock cash in and leave swinging belt above his head. Would be a right laugh, especially if they end up booking Roman into boos.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 20, 2019, 11:37:19 PM
absolutely true, Vince's involvement in the Jimmy Snuka stuff is a scandal that would have killed any other company

Sorry guys. Not ignoring you. Yes. I am waiting to read this week's observer before commenting as Dave suggested the case was very odd with her trying to get back with WWE after all the légals failed. I literally know nothing so didn't want to comment but fact that if true it wouldn't surprise us says as much for the way they are run than anything else. Grim. So glad Vince doesn't get my money.

BeardFaceMan

Vince has craved mainstream success his entire life, if he actually got it he would be completely fucked with some of the shit he's pulled over the years, he's lucky he's seen as a joke and no one takes any notice of him.

hummingofevil

Ha ha. Roman getting booed to fuck but they desperately trying to cover it... oh wait. He going to feud with Shane. That's one way of stopping it. WWE stopping Roman getting booed theatrics has to be the most fun thing in wrestling at the moment.

Shane Roman in Saudi. PEAK FUCKING WWE. I am really starting to fucking love this company.

hummingofevil

Renee Young is fucking awful though. You know WWE commentary has reached a new low when you realise that the voice you most want to listen to belongs to Michael Cole. She is fucking horrible on the mic.

hummingofevil

Yeah fuck Dave. Hardcore championship. I absolutely agree this is a good idea.

Moribunderast

I tried to cancel my WWE sub when the Saudi thing happened but kept getting technical difficulties (the unsubscribe page simply would never load) so eventually gave up. That Ashley Massaro story, which I was unaware of until now, has convinced me to unsubscribe - even if I have to fucken call up customer service to do so. I've never had any notion that Vince wasn't morally repugnant but that's just so fucked. Nightmarish, ghoulish shit. Fucking gross.

I mean, as a consumer I should unsubscribe solely due to not watching anymore anyway. Didn't have the smallest inkling to watch MITB and even hearing some matches were good I still just don't care about the characters or booking. 2000-era Nitros aren't worth it anymore.

Timothy

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 20, 2019, 11:40:53 PM
So glad Vince doesn't get my money.

You dont have a Network subscription?
Where do you watch the PPVs live?

Not gonna watch Raw but that 24/7 belt sounds absolutely stupid.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Timothy on May 21, 2019, 06:55:32 AM
You dont have a Network subscription?
Where do you watch the PPVs live?

Not gonna watch Raw but that 24/7 belt sounds absolutely stupid.

I definitely do have a subscription your honour.

hummingofevil

Dave hating on 24/7 championship and either he is wrong or I am through the looking glass. It's an hilarious idea intentionally or not. A jobber hardcore championship is exactly what WWE needs.

Ja'moke

Yeah, a 24/7 title for the jobbers is fun. Gives them something to do and they can get creative with it, especially in the age of social media, which someone here might have mentioned already.

At least it gets them on TV doing something.

Counterpoint!  Jobbers and lower-card people shouldn't have story lines and should be squashed to fuck by upper-card people.

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on May 21, 2019, 01:19:28 PM
Counterpoint!  Jobbers and lower-card people shouldn't have story lines and should be squashed to fuck by upper-card people.

It depends how the title is booked. I remember the old Hardcore title under the 24/7 rules and it was just inane skits. Nobody really got over as a result of having the belt, it was just a punchline. And on the odd occasion a legit star got the strap, the 24/7 rule might as well not have existed - sometimes it would be suspended or, usually, nobody would bother challenging them at all.

If they can learn from that, this new title should be a hoot. But this is WWE in 2019, so I expect them to have burned the whole thing out by Summerslam before quietly dropping the belt by Christmas.

hummingofevil

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on May 21, 2019, 01:19:28 PM

But think of the prestige that will come from beating the 84 times 24/7 Championship holder.

petril

bet it survives past the summer, but they scrap the 24/7 thing

up_the_hampipe

Oof, main event Dolph Ziggler fighting for the WWE title. That'll put butts in the seats.

Having a "24/7 Championship" is so dumb. The 24/7 thing should be a technical rule to a championship, like it was for the hardcore title. This is just going to be the same storyline where a champion is chased around every week. How long are they expecting to keep this going for? What's the benefit for being the champ? That said, I'm sure it will make for some creative silly segments for the time being.

HAHAHAHAHA R-TRUTH IN A LADIES WIG HAHAHAHAHAHA

Then

Now

FOREVER

sevendaughters

it is less the dumbness of the 24/7 title and more Foley saying "the third hour of Raw will be wild" or some shit, like I thought the belt was 24/7, COME ON  this is basic stuff lads. Glad it isn't hardcore, just wouldn't work, those matches where Raven would wheel a bunch of harmless props to the ring were embarrassing.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 22, 2019, 11:48:45 AM
HAHAHAHAHA R-TRUTH IN A LADIES WIG HAHAHAHAHAHA

Then

Now

FOREVER

Okay maybe not.

I don't always enjoy Corey Graves, but him yelling "You suck! You sissy!" at Byron last night got a good laugh out of me. Perhaps the only good thing to come out of this 24/7 nonsense so far.

Timothy

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 22, 2019, 10:30:59 AM
Having a "24/7 Championship" is so dumb. The 24/7 thing should be a technical rule to a championship, like it was for the hardcore title. This is just going to be the same storyline where a champion is chased around every week. How long are they expecting to keep this going for? What's the benefit for being the champ? That said, I'm sure it will make for some creative silly segments for the time being.

Yup. Its just a stupid pointless idea. Agree with you and Dave here.

BeardFaceMan

WWE are so insular theyre completely creatively bankrupt, they have nothing new to offer, just the same old ideas from the same old people. I'm expecting a Kennel From Hell match sometime this year.

Deanjam

Sorry if it's been posted before, but PAC vs. Hangman Page from a UK show earlier this week has been put up on AEW's youtube channel:

https://youtu.be/gjCSeXMjtJw

Deanjam

The only time I enjoyed the 24/7 rule was in Crash Holly's first few weeks as Hardcore champion. All the inventiveness seemed to be used up quickly.

hummingofevil

https://youtu.be/IHdReiiRtlI

Joey Ryan losing the DDT iron heavy metal weight belt to the crowd then winning it back. From 3min Mark.

petril

Quote from: Deanjam on May 22, 2019, 04:46:47 PM
The only time I enjoyed the 24/7 rule was in Crash Holly's first few weeks as Hardcore champion. All the inventiveness seemed to be used up quickly.

that and Steve Blackman being nonchalantly hard. that was a good bit. like action film stuff except it's a quietly unhinged supply teacher

peanutbutter

Bringing back something for its nostalgic appeal and not bringing back the belt that nostalgia is tied to seems like such a bizarre move to me.

The belt they have introduced looks like it costs half the price of all the other belts to make replicas of. I half wonder if the goal of this new belt is to have an overpriced replica that's still within the price range that parents will spend for their kids at events, get a quick pop swapping the title at every house show and then push the belt like crazy at the merch stands.