Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:45:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: The Baron Corbin Era

Started by Z, March 08, 2019, 01:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 14, 2019, 08:34:32 PM
How long do you think AEW will leave it until they try and book a show at Madison Square Garden? And would MSG now tell WWE to go fuck themselves if they did try?

Probably at least next year so they can build up to summit huge, I reckon. WWE no longer has any control over what promotions appear at MSG after ROH/NJPW set the precedent. AAA's even got a show there in a few months.

sevendaughters

Very glad the Gedo rumour was just that. Probably the best booker since Baba and Maeda.

Ja'moke

Meltzer: "Everyone wants out..I dont want to say everybody cause Roman Reigns doesn't want out, but....they were just in town and....yeesh. They (WWE) didnt expect this momentum (AEW) to keep growing. I'm sure that (WWE) would have thought that it was beginners luck the first time, but now they can't say that, but this has gotten stronger (AEW) with each show and the momentum is insane. Vince has a lot on his plate right now....this is not something he saw coming."

Timothy

Seems quite premature. Why jump ship before you know how AEW handles their TV show?

Also quite premature to say that they're gotten stronger with each show considering they didn't have more then two shows at the moment and we're not sure if All Out is gonna be good and will be doing the same PPV numbers. It's not weird that they sold out so soon considering the show is in Chicago.

Ja'moke

People said All-In wouldn't sell out. It sold out in minutes.

Then they said, yeah, but they won't be able to do it again. Double or Nothing sells out in minutes, and does 100k PPV buys.

Okay, two times, big deal. Anyone can fluke that. Let's see if they can keep going.

All Out sells out in minutes.

Deanjam

I think you can pretty much count All In and The MSG shows as down to the AEW guys, even if not officially AEW shows. So that's 4 pretty big cards sold out quickly, plus one successful PPV done without TV promotion, plus a major TV deal signed. Not surprising people are getting excited about AEW. If you're a WWE guy or gal, they must be looking a pretty tempting alternative if you want to earn good money, work TV and have more creative freedom, although obviously not everyone can go there.

It would be nice to think a successful AEW would force Vince to rethink his creative structure and give more freedom to the talent, but I suspect he's too far gone. Too many years of being the only voice that counts in WWE.

How would people react to Vince coming out at the start of Raw and doing an attidue era style address? ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjBeCwz2fXg )

But this time announcing his retirement and apologizing for not doing it sooner, and offically handing the running of WWE to HHH. Also saying that they were going to let the Wreslter be themselves.

Or would people prefer them to book it in storyline and have HHH lead an onscreen takeover, eventually leading to a survior series elmination match between Vinces team made up of old Attutde era stars vs HHH and his team of unerused talent. Loser leaves WWE for ever. With Vince loosing of course.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Timothy on June 15, 2019, 12:26:35 PM
Seems quite premature. Why jump ship before you know how AEW handles their TV show?

Also quite premature to say that they're gotten stronger with each show considering they didn't have more then two shows at the moment and we're not sure if All Out is gonna be good and will be doing the same PPV numbers. It's not weird that they sold out so soon considering the show is in Chicago.

Hehe just face it man, AEW isnt ever going to be for you, you'll always find some mad excuse to not enjoy it. Maybe they want to jump ship before the tv show airs because WWE is such an awful company to work for and they want out?

Tony Khan is on Stone Colds next podcast, I wonder what Vince has to say about that? These are exciting times.

Ja'moke

A lot of WWE stars will likely want to strike while the iron's hot too. Tony Khan has made it clear that he isn't going to sign everyone just for the sake of having them. The people who can get out of their contracts quicker have a better chance of getting signed with AEW before their roster becomes too full.

BeardFaceMan

That's a good point, WWE could probably start another brand with all the talent they have sitting on the bench, hoovered up by Vince simply so no one else can have them, it's going to be a very crowded marketplace before long.

ETA whats going to be interesting too is what their creative is going to be like. We know who's going to be doing the booking, pretty much, but what about storylines and characters, is it the wrestlers themselves who are coming up with most of this like in ECW? I want them to bring in a big name from somewhere and repackage them as a new character, thats where they're going to succeed or fail, I think, being able to be original. It's one thing getting things off to a great start with a lot of names people already know but where are they going to get their new names from, how will they handle that? Will they just work with other feds as they do know and use their stars or will they train up their own? They're going to have to do the latter if they want long-term success.

Moribunderast

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 15, 2019, 01:17:37 PM
It's one thing getting things off to a great start with a lot of names people already know but where are they going to get their new names from, how will they handle that? Will they just work with other feds as they do know and use their stars or will they train up their own? They're going to have to do the latter if they want long-term success.

Surely just pluck them from the indies like they already are doing? NXT is basically doing that and the only home grown ones who've gone to the main roster are, what - Elias and Baron and Lacey? I think if AEW prove themselves a good place to work then they'll be able to grab promising indy stars just as well as NXT would.

peanutbutter

Realistically, what most these WWE performers want is the pay increases to match up with the Smackdown TV deal. In pretty much any other industry the key employees would've been demanding them instantly. Wrestling with its weird relationship between employees and staff possibly meant most of them felt like it wasn't even something they could ask for.

Think if WWE had done right by their crew following the smackdown deal that they wouldn't be having anywhere near as pissed off of a work force as they do right now.

This has been going of to some extent or another for years now, before AEW and all. No matter how many extra hours and brands WWE add on, there's a limited number of roles at the top, limited potential to get into those ranks and a ridiculous live show schedule. I'd have to imagine a lot of them even without AEW would see better long term opportunities in going away for a few years like Drew.

Even if AEW fails, the successes they've had so far are probably sufficient evidence that you can build up a pretty damn strong brand for yourself away from WWE if you've the talent and the drive. Once you've got that, WWE will always take you back.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Moribunderast on June 15, 2019, 05:35:32 PM
Surely just pluck them from the indies like they already are doing? NXT is basically doing that and the only home grown ones who've gone to the main roster are, what - Elias and Baron and Lacey? I think if AEW prove themselves a good place to work then they'll be able to grab promising indy stars just as well as NXT would.

I more meant are they they going to take people from the indies and have them exclusive to AEW or will they still be allowed to work for other feds too. Are they going to be a place where stars are made or a place where stars can go to shine? Will they just take people from the indies and have them use their existing gimmick or will they be coming up with new characters for people they like the look of, that sort of thing. They're only going to get so far getting pops from the hardcore fans from wrestlers they already know about, if they want to go wider than that, go mainstream, they're going to need to present unknowns and get them over. Although to be fair, it does seem like they've been trying to do this with their PPVs but only using existing gimmicks, it'll be interesting to see what long-term direction they go in.

hummingofevil

The irony of the WWE is they have the storyline that would put everything right already in place. They should be aiming to do a HHH vs the McMahons for control over the company. If they want to make it a full on soap opera they have the characters in place. HHH to turn on Vince about running the company down, Shane to defend his father and force Stephanie to pick between the two. Fuck it, have them split up if it's all just a storyline. Do something unexpected and fun. Have them all trying to turn the roster on each other (HHH obviously going to all the ex-NXT lot to back him and Vince having the live-long WWEers). Would make meaningless feuds have a bit more meaning and blur lines of reality if HHH and Stephanie are set to legit take over as Vince works on XFL.

Alternatively, take all the McMahons and HHH off TV forever.

That what I would do anyway.

hummingofevil

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 15, 2019, 08:57:17 PM
I more meant are they they going to take people from the indies and have them exclusive to AEW or will they still be allowed to work for other feds too. Are they going to be a place where stars are made or a place where stars can go to shine? Will they just take people from the indies and have them use their existing gimmick or will they be coming up with new characters for people they like the look of, that sort of thing. They're only going to get so far getting pops from the hardcore fans from wrestlers they already know about, if they want to go wider than that, go mainstream, they're going to need to present unknowns and get them over. Although to be fair, it does seem like they've been trying to do this with their PPVs but only using existing gimmicks, it'll be interesting to see what long-term direction they go in.

Agree this is the key balance. I noticed MJF is debuting in PWG soon and it could be just a one off but if they can maintain a balance where wrestlers can drop in and out of AEW it could really keep it fresh. The key is then not having an issue where AEW are coming to town and you expected to pay $50 for a ticket to see, say Joey Janela, but he is also wrestling for some indie for $10 a week earlier. That would be the issue I guess. My answer would be just to keep the top-top guys as AEW exclusive (with the odd outing to NJPW) so people know the only way you going to watch Kenny or The Bucks or Cody is when AEW is in town.

The only other issue I would have is keeping the gimmicks consistent. Up here in Newcastle we have/had multiple companies running with the same crowds and the same rosters and it got really confusing. I think it was El Ligero or Martin Kirby who a couple of years ago was cheered one week for one company and then when I saw him a week later he came out to "wanker" chants because he had turned on that promotion's previous show a month earlier. It wasn't great as it made the act seem more transparent and the 'character' was fake.

I suspect when the AEW TV show starts, they'll lock down their wrestlers (well, most of them barring the ones that have leverage like Jericho) so they can't wrestle anywhere else (at least in the USA). No point doing it at the moment.

hummingofevil

My life transformation to being fully nocturanal seems to be complete so I'm watching the Lucha AAA show. Its free to watch on Twitch and it's good stuff. I think I'll stay up tomorrow to watch The Bucks lose to Lucha Bros too. Only complaint is that there is a lot of time spent between matches. Lots of promos (my Spanish isn't up to it but they look like they are good) and entrances etc. Tessa Blanchard and Scarlett Bordeaux have just turned up so this could be fun.

hummingofevil

Was good that. Aerostar is a maniac, really impressed with Vikingo. Sammy Guevara won a good acrobatic threeway which impressed me more than his AEW match. And I just love Tessa. No idea how much her act is a character but she just comes across as a total star. A bit of a prick but a star and she knows it. She is great.

Couple of awkward audience moments with one guy grabbing Scarlett Bordeaux and another where a woman gets a bit hands on with the guys in the main event. Creepy.

sevendaughters

Deanjam

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 16, 2019, 02:14:07 PM
G1 Blocks are unreal.

Block A:

Kazuchika Okada
    Zack Sabre Jr.
    Hiroshi Tanahashi
    Kota Ibushi
    EVIL
    SANADA
    Bad Luck Fale
    Lance Archer
    Will Ospreay
    KENTA

Block B:

Tetsuya Naito
    Tomohiro Ishii
    Juice Robinson
    Toru Yano
    Hirooki Goto
    Jay White
    Jeff Cobb
    Shingo Takagi
    Taichi
    Jon Moxley

I predict White defeating Okada in the final setting up their WK rematch.

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 16, 2019, 02:14:07 PM
G1 Blocks are unreal.

It's going to be Okada or Ibushi in the final against Naito or White isn't it? We may get Ibushi vs. Naito again. :/

sevendaughters

I can see Moxley and Jay being in contention deep into it. KENTA is there for beat a big name and face them down the line. Okada won't win it so Ibushi taking it feels real to me. Just very excited to watch it later in the year when I have time.

hummingofevil

More madness tonight. Spoilers.

Bucks lost as predicted in more of the same. Ace stuff but LB are there real stars of that feud. Missed a lot of the rest of the show but Aerostar looks like he might have properly done himself in. Not good.

sevendaughters

that Aerostar thing was stupider than the Ibushi-Naito bump. Like, at least wrestlers practice neck bridging.

hummingofevil

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 17, 2019, 06:31:40 AM
that Aerostar thing was stupider than the Ibushi-Naito bump. Like, at least wrestlers practice neck bridging.

This is from the night before that is even more pointless and dumb.

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1140100123025977346

Watching today's fall I just hope the impact took away a lot of his momentum so the fall on his head was awkward rather than blunt. Utterly stupid though obviously.

Deanjam

Full G1 schedule if you want to bookmark any specific matches.

July 6 (A Block, Dallas, Texas) --

Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
    Kota Ibushi vs. KENTA
    SANADA vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
    EVIL vs. Bad Luck Fale
    Will Ospreay vs. Lance Archer

July 13 (B Block, Ota City General Gymnasium, Tokyo) --

Jon Moxley vs. Taichi
    Jay White vs. Hirooki Goto
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jeff Cobb
    Tetsuya Naito vs. Toru Yano
    Shingo Takagi vs. Juice Robinson

July 14 (A Block, Ota City General Gymnasium, Tokyo) --

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. KENTA
    Bad Luck Fale vs. Lance Archer
    Kota Ibushi vs. EVIL
    Kazuchika Okada vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
    Will Ospreay vs. SANADA

July 15 (B Block, Sapporo) --

Tetsuya Naito vs. Taichi
    Jon Moxley vs. Jeff Cobb
    Jay White vs. Tomohiro Ishii
    Hirooki Goto vs. Juice Robinson
    Shingo Takagi vs. Toru Yano

July 18 (A Block, Korakuen Hall, Tokyo) --

Kota Ibushi vs. Will Ospreay
    EVIL vs. SANADA
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
    Kazuchika Okada vs. Bad Luck Fale
    KENTA vs. Lance Archer

July 19 (B Block, Korakuen Hall, Tokyo) --

Jon Moxley vs. Tomohiro Ishii
    Shingo Takagi vs. Taichi
    Tetsuya Naito vs. Hirooki Goto
    Jay White vs. Toru Yano
    Juice Robinson vs. Jeff Cobb

July 20 (A Block, Korakuen Hall, Tokyo) --

Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay
    KENTA vs. EVIL
    Kota Ibushi vs. SANADA
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Lance Archer
    Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Bad Luck Fale

July 24 (B Block, Hiroshima) --

Tetsuya Naito vs. Tomohiro Ishii
    Jon Moxley vs. Shingo Takagi
    Jay White vs. Jeff Cobb
    Hirooki Goto vs. Taichi
    Juice Robinson vs. Toru Yano

July 27 (A Block, Nagoya) --

Kazuchika Okada vs. KENTA
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. SANADA
    Zack Sabre Jr. vs. EVIL
    Will Ospreay vs. Bad Luck Fale
    Kota Ibushi vs. Lance Archer

July 28 (B Block, Nagoya) --

Tetsuya Naito vs. Jon Moxley
    Hirooki Goto vs. Toru Yano
    Jay White vs. Shingo Takagi
    Jeff Cobb vs. Taichi
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Juice Robinson

July 30 (A Block, Takamatsu) --

KENTA vs. SANADA
    Will Ospreay vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. EVIL
    Kazuchika Okada vs. Lance Archer
    Kota Ibushi vs. Bad Luck Fale

August 1 (B Block, Fukuoka) --

Jay White vs. Taichi
    Jon Moxley vs. Toru Yano
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hirooki Goto
    Tetsuya Naito vs. Juice Robinson
    Shingo Takagi vs. Jeff Cobb

August 3 (A Block, Osaka) --

Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi
    Will Ospreay vs. EVIL
    Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Lance Archer
    KENTA vs. Bad Luck Fale

August 4 (B Block, Osaka) --

Tetsuya Naito vs. Shingo Takagi
    Jon Moxley vs. Jay White
    Hirooki Goto vs. Jeff Cobb
    Juice Robinson vs. Taichi
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Toru Yano

August 7 (A Block, Hamamatsu) --

Kazuchika Okada vs. EVIL
    Will Ospreay vs. KENTA
    Kota Ibushi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bad Luck Fale
    SANADA vs. Lance Archer

August 8 (B Block, Yokohama) --

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Shingo Takagi
    Toru Yano vs. Taichi
    Jay White vs. Juice Robinson
    Jon Moxley vs. Hirooki Goto
    Tetsuya Naito vs. Jeff Cobb

August 10 (A Block, Budokan Hall, Tokyo) --

Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Will Ospreay
    SANADA vs. Bad Luck Fale
    EVIL vs. Lance Archer
    KENTA vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

August 11 (B Block, Budokan Hall, Tokyo) --

Tetsuya Naito vs. Jay White
    Jon Moxley vs. Juice Robinson
    Jeff Cobb vs. Toru Yano
    Hirooki Goto vs. Shingo Takagi
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Taichi

August 12 (Budokan Hall, Tokyo) --

A Block winner vs. B Block winner in the G1 finals

hummingofevil

Quote from: Deanjam on June 17, 2019, 08:26:34 PM

July 13 (B Block, Ota City General Gymnasium, Tokyo) --

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jeff Cobb

July 18 (A Block, Korakuen Hall, Tokyo) --

Kota Ibushi vs. Will Ospreay

August 1 (B Block, Fukuoka) --

Jon Moxley vs. Toru Yano

August 10 (A Block, Budokan Hall, Tokyo) --

KENTA vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

August 11 (B Block, Budokan Hall, Tokyo) --

Jeff Cobb vs. Toru Yano

August 12 (Budokan Hall, Tokyo) --

A Block winner vs. B Block winner in the G1 finals

Cheers for these. These are one's that jump for me for something I fancy.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Deanjam on June 17, 2019, 08:26:34 PM

July 6 (A Block, Dallas, Texas) --
    Kota Ibushi vs. KENTA

July 14 (A Block, Ota City General Gymnasium, Tokyo) --
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. KENTA

July 18 (A Block, Korakuen Hall
    EVIL vs. SANADA

July 20 (A Block, Korakuen Hall, Tokyo) --
    Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay

July 24 (B Block, Hiroshima) --
    Tetsuya Naito vs. Tomohiro Ishii