Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:16:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: The Baron Corbin Era

Started by Z, March 08, 2019, 01:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitsofan34

What are people making of KENTA's run in the G1? Only seen his Ibushi match and it bored me senseless.

Just watched Ospreay vs Okada and loved it. The G1's time limit rids Okada of his big match "epic" indulgence and makes him work with real agency. Great job all.

mikeyg27

I've enjoyed KENTA but he hasn't been the 'free from WWE's shackles' revelation that Moxley has. Jeff Cobb has probably been a bigger disappointment - Ishii match aside he hasn't really done much. Ishii's probably the MVP so far.

Mobius

I've been enjoying KENTA. Thought his match with Okada was excellent. He'll never get back to his pre-WWE days but to me he's a perfect fit for NJPW.

Mox Vs Naito was really great. Sad Naito lost though. Naito looks like he needs a bloody good rest, he seems to have lost quite a lot of muscle around what's left of his neck.. :(

hummingofevil

Quote from: Mobius on July 29, 2019, 01:17:17 AM
I've been enjoying KENTA. Thought his match with Okada was excellent. He'll never get back to his pre-WWE days but to me he's a perfect fit for NJPW.

Mox Vs Naito was really great. Sad Naito lost though. Naito looks like he needs a bloody good rest, he seems to have lost quite a lot of muscle around what's left of his neck.. :(

I was listening to the Adam and Mike show and they mentioned something and it is that Kenta (because he fucked his shoulder) and Naito (because he fucked himself repeatedly) have lost their physiques. It shouldn't really be an issue but visually it takes something away from them. Ishii looks like an Ishii, Suzuki looks incredible for any age never mind 5 and it just gives them a better visual for their matches (never mind the bodies on likes of Okada and let's not even go there with Ibushi). I know you don't have to be shredded to be a good fighter (just look at Tyson Fury) but for me I have to be honest and it is putting me off rating him as highly as I might. Kenta doesn't LOOK like a threat so I find it hard to be as invested.

I'm so behind now.

hummingofevil

Just watched Okada Osprey back properly. It's perfect isn't it? I'll be honest as I have suggested previously and there is something about Osprey's style that doesn't quite do it for me (its not criticism it just doesn't scratch that itch as much as an Ishii or Suzuki - or a properly ace Lesnar  - match does) but that was magical. Suzuki Barnett is my match of the year and I don't think anything will beat it as it was so unique and stands out but for what it was it was incredible. Wrestling genius.

hummingofevil

So after all the Seth stuff and Alexa calling out the fans we now have Renee Young on Twitter

https://twitter.com/reneeyoungwwe/status/1155507606192082950?s=21

The original tweet she responding to has been deleted so I'm assuming the guy was being a dick but the certainly seems to be a trend developing. Fans criticise WWE for being awful with 99% of that directed at Vince and booking and the talent turn on fans. What a compete waste of everyone's time.

Ja'moke

I don't see the problem with Renee's tweet. Fans shit on her all the time when her commentary isn't even that bad... or at least no worse than any other WWE commentator.

Speaking of Twitter, Becky cut a really good promo on Natalya, which just shows you the difference between unscripted versus scripted promos: https://twitter.com/BeckyLynchWWE/status/1155659937349033984

Deanjam

The Renee tweet is unusually even handed by wrasslin standards.

sevendaughters

Okada-Ospreay was probably the best match of the G1 so far but I thought Okada was the one who came off like a wrestling genius in that. The timing of his stuff is just unreal.

hummingofevil

Aye sorry. I just meant I found the tone a bit grim. Seth and Alexa blaming Ambrose and the fans, now Renee blaming herself for not being good enough. It just drives wedges between fans and performers when we all know who is to blame. It's just not fun to watch (on Twitter or on TV). Renee is good to great in the right role and a bit of relaxed freedom so if she genuinely thinks she isn't then maybe it's time she looked elsewhere too.

hummingofevil

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 29, 2019, 12:52:32 PM
Okada-Ospreay was probably the best match of the G1 so far but I thought Okada was the one who came off like a wrestling genius in that. The timing of his stuff is just unreal.

Agree 100%. Osprey has to be WOTY without any doubt but Okada is still the greatest. It's just how perfectly in sync the two seemed to be. There were a few sections like it but the bit where Osprey avoided one drop kick so Okada recalibrated and hit him with one moments later was remarkable.

I love wrestling.

Ja'moke

Quote from: hummingofevil on July 29, 2019, 12:57:16 PM
Aye sorry. I just meant I found the tone a bit grim. Seth and Alexa blaming Ambrose and the fans, now Renee blaming herself for not being good enough. It just drives wedges between fans and performers when we all know who is to blame. It's just not fun to watch (on Twitter or on TV). Renee is good to great in the right role and a bit of relaxed freedom so if she genuinely thinks she isn't then maybe it's time she looked elsewhere too.

She's a great presenter, particularly on shows like Talking Smack. Her chemistry with Bryan was a big part of what made that show so enjoyable. Further down in that Twitter thread she talks about that, and how presenting/interviewing was always her "jam" and what she's best at. The commentary role is still very new and essentially on the job learning.

sevendaughters

just watched Ishii vs. Juice, whattamatch. Am a bit behind on G1 but I don't care about results or spoilers so it's just lovely catching up.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on July 29, 2019, 12:09:28 PM
I don't see the problem with Renee's tweet. Fans shit on her all the time when her commentary isn't even that bad... or at least no worse than any other WWE commentator.

It was bad in the sense that it emboldens people to shit on her, because she's letting it show how it affects her. Just a personal thing though, I don't feel like they should show that vulnerability to these monsters.

Renee's ability is that she's naturally likeable and a comfortable personality to engage with talent and fans. That doesn't always translate to commentary. You have to be a character or a broadcaster really.

mikeyg27

Quote from: hummingofevil on July 29, 2019, 01:01:17 PM
Agree 100%. Osprey has to be WOTY without any doubt but Okada is still the greatest. It's just how perfectly in sync the two seemed to be.

I think the Rainmaker into Spanish Fly was the single best spot of the G1 so far. I completely lost my shit.

It's also slowly dawning on me the danger of how much I could be spending at the merch stall at Royal Quest.

Swoz_MK

Quote from: mikeyg27 on July 29, 2019, 01:18:15 PM
It's also slowly dawning on me the danger of how much I could be spending at the merch stall at Royal Quest.

Last year Tiger Mask wanted £75 for a shirt

Golden E. Pump

Guys I think I might actually be in love with Lacey Evans.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on July 29, 2019, 11:21:22 PM
Guys I think I might actually be in love with Tomohiro Ishii.

I had a thought (won't happen) about how big the pop would be if Ishii beat Okada for IWGP in Copper Box.

up_the_hampipe

I'd love to see hummingofevil vs. Meltzer in a "who bums Japanese wrestling the hardest?" match at the Tokyo Dome.

hummingofevil

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 30, 2019, 12:43:05 AM
I'd love to see hummingofevil vs. Meltzer in a "who bums Japanese wrestling the hardest?" match at the Tokyo Dome.

Mate, I have just been to see an actual Joshi show with 400+ actual real live Joshi wrestling fans. I try to keep up with NJPW and watch clips of other stuff on Twitter but I'm no obsessive. If Meltzer had been in that room I reckon he would stuggle to out geek half of them on current Joshi knowledge. When I say these guys and gals like wrestling they FUCKING LIKE WRESTLING. And good on them too but another planet from what I know about this stuff. Too busy watching Pobol y Cwm me.

Though speaking of which. No fucking idea what is going on but it looks as if DDT has outdone themselves with this one.

https://twitter.com/SpiritOfJazzz/status/1155904715806445570?s=20

Ja'moke

Tenille Dashwood has signed with Impact. I think that's a good fit for her. Impact seem to do good by its  women division.

hummingofevil

Ziggler is the baddy for being the one who tells Seth the goodie that the average show we are watching is shit.

Oh wait: Brock just gave Seth a legit good thrashing. Seth coughing up blood. 5 stars. Oh he's back. Ha ha. This is class.

Edit: last hour of Raw has been brawls. It's pretty fun TBF.

up_the_hampipe

Brock rules, Seth drools... blood.

Deanjam

Thank goodness WWE don't do blood and guts anymore like their unsophisticated rivals.

I enjoyed it, and the brawl that ended Raw.

Moribunderast

Watching a bit of tonight's G1 live. Worth checking out the Moxley/Yano tag match (2nd match on the card) for some pretty funny comedy. I'm looking forward to their second match.

I didn't know what to expect from Moxley as a G1 competitor but he's been great. Just carries himself like such a star and comes up with cool spots. His matches with Ishii, Naito and Shingo have been excellent. I feel like he'll return to AEW for the big Kenny Omega match as an even bigger star (and with a better rep, especially in-ring) than he was before the G1, regardless of whether he wins, makes the final or loses out in his final few matches.

Also loving the work of Jay White. I've said before, when he returned from excursion as the Switchblade character I thought he seemed like NJPW's answer to Baron Corbin - which was a question nobody asked. He took a little while to work into the character and improve in-ring (only a very little while, though) but I think since his match in Dallas against Juice Robinson he's been an excellent character with great instincts and a good, different ring-style from the other NJPW main eventers. I look forward to all his matches just for the little touches, the banter, the ongoing feud with Red Shoes, Gedo being a dick, Rocky Romero's dismay at it all, etc.

Praise for Moxley and White having been said - what about Ishii, aye? If not for Will Ospreay's existence, Ishii would be my pick for Wrestler of the Year by a mile. Ospreay's BOSJ Tournament probably gives him the edge but those two have had an absolutely phenomenal year. I never see it happening but I would love Ishii to get even a short run with the IWGP Title in the next year or so. Guy's earned it and you'd have guaranteed amazing Main Events while he was champ. Not that you already don't with Okada but Ishii would probably provide some fresher match-ups too. Feels like Okada has gone through the entire roster numerous times now. Although matches against Moxley, Shingo and Ibushi would all feel quite fresh...

sevendaughters

I think Ishii is probably the greatest midcarder of all time. I've seen some of his mid-00s work when he had incongruous hair (clearly sensitive about his height) and it was good but he didn't have the opponents.

kitsofan34

Most under rated match of the G1 so far for me is Lance Archer vs Kota Ibushi. Some great stuff, very stiff match, Archer's turned into quite the wrestler since he got rid of that sexy little tramp stamp.

sevendaughters

Archer was good again today against Okada. It wasn't a hell-for-leather essential show but Ospreay v Sabre Jr was a great watch.

kitsofan34

I don't understand what Gedo is doing with Jay White/ZSJ's losing streak stories. I suppose with such an impressive line up for this year's G1 he had to have some people score unexpectedly low, but yeah, very odd, especially the golden boy White.

sevendaughters

the first 3 matches was "revenge of CHAOS" but I imagine he's going to have to beat a Moxley to get some heat