Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:19:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: The Baron Corbin Era

Started by Z, March 08, 2019, 01:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Re: Jay White. Firstly his character is such that if he loses it's not his own fault as he is such a whiny heel. Secondly, by losing it just gives him a chance to get more pissed off. A grump Jay White who has a crap G1 is a storyline that can actually make the character stronger. Thirdy (as pointed out above) there were some scores to settle and finally I suspect we are going to get a bit of a run now and probably beat Mox to stop him winning the block.

---

Anyone have any thoughts about Copper Box card? I was expecting something obvious to pop out but not so sure. If it was me I would have ZSJ wrestle Osprey as joint homecoming with ZSJ playing heel and book some properly big Japanese vs Japanese matches. I suspect they wont so maybe the 10th August show could set up Okada Ibushi (oh god) Osprey Tana (oh god). I really am not sure.

gmoney

Quote from: kitsofan34 on July 30, 2019, 03:35:18 PM
I don't understand what Gedo is doing with Jay White/ZSJ's losing streak stories. I suppose with such an impressive line up for this year's G1 he had to have some people score unexpectedly low, but yeah, very odd, especially the golden boy White.

I don't follow NJPW very closely, but don't they do losing streaks fairly often? Okada was on one recently wasn't he? The nature of the hard hitting matches means people often look good despite losing and when they start winning again it looks like they've caught fire.

Deanjam

The thing to remember about Gedo's booking is he always has a reason for what he does.

To annoy Naito fans

Deanjam

So the current G1 standings are thus:

A BLOCK

Kazuchika Okada 12
    KENTA 8
    Hiroshi Tanahashi 8
    Kota Ibushi 8
    EVIL 6
    Lance Archer 4
    Will Ospreay 4
    SANADA 4
    Zack Sabre Jr. 4
    Bad Luck Fale 2

B BLOCK

Jon Moxley 10
    Juice Robinson 6
    Tomohiro Ishii 6
    Shingo Takagi 4
    Toru Yano 4
    Taichi 4
    Tetsuya Naito 4
    Jeff Cobb 4
    Hirooki Goto 4
    Jay White 4

Remaining matches are:

August 1 (B Block, Fukuoka) --

Jay White vs. Taichi
    Jon Moxley vs. Toru Yano
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hirooki Goto
    Tetsuya Naito vs. Juice Robinson
    Shingo Takagi vs. Jeff Cobb

August 3 (A Block, Osaka) --

Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi
    Will Ospreay vs. EVIL
    Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Lance Archer
    KENTA vs. Bad Luck Fale

August 4 (B Block, Osaka) --

Tetsuya Naito vs. Shingo Takagi
    Jon Moxley vs. Jay White
    Hirooki Goto vs. Jeff Cobb
    Juice Robinson vs. Taichi
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Toru Yano

August 7 (A Block, Hamamatsu) --

Kazuchika Okada vs. EVIL
    Will Ospreay vs. KENTA
    Kota Ibushi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bad Luck Fale
    SANADA vs. Lance Archer

August 8 (B Block, Yokohama) --

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Shingo Takagi
    Toru Yano vs. Taichi
    Jay White vs. Juice Robinson
    Jon Moxley vs. Hirooki Goto
    Tetsuya Naito vs. Jeff Cobb

August 10 (A Block, Budokan Hall, Tokyo) --

Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Will Ospreay
    SANADA vs. Bad Luck Fale
    EVIL vs. Lance Archer
    KENTA vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

August 11 (B Block, Budokan Hall, Tokyo) --

Tetsuya Naito vs. Jay White
    Jon Moxley vs. Juice Robinson
    Jeff Cobb vs. Toru Yano
    Hirooki Goto vs. Shingo Takagi
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Taichi

I'm guessing Okada will lose to Sanada and beat Evil, with Ibushi winning his next two matches setting up a winner takes the block final match.

If Moxley beats Yano tomorrow then I think everyone is eliminated from block 2 except Juice, White (depending if they win) and one of Ishii or Goto (whoever wins their match). So unless Moxley has a collapse in his last few matches it looks like it's gonna come down to his final day match against Juice.

An Ibushi/Moxley final won by Ibushi is now my prediction.

sevendaughters

I still think Ibushi/Moxley is some kind of avenue for Kenny.

I wasn't expecting it, but the Maverick-Kanellis match on 205 Live was genuinely brilliant. Well worth a watch.

Ja'moke

QuoteThe former Lass Kicker says she was 'apprehensive' when creative pitched the idea to her, but, ultimately, working with a talent like Rollins won her over.

"Honestly, I was very apprehensive," Lynch stated. "What I didn't want was everybody talking about the relationship. What I wanted was two bad asses, two people at the top of their game fighting side-by-side. Not for the world to be reminded every five minutes that this is Becky Lynch's boyfriend or that's Seth Rollins' girlfriend. Which, of course, they didn't do. They were the masters of subtlety...

https://talksport.com/sport/wrestling/579923/becky-lynch-wwe-evolution-ronda-rousey-seth-rollins/

Enjoying that sarcasm at the end there. They're still doing this too. When commentary on SD were running down the Summerslam card, it was, "Seth Rollin's girlfriend Becky Lynch will be taking on Natalya."

Ja'moke

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 31, 2019, 12:03:17 PM
what on earth is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i6tEi_zmyA

Goofy shit, but I enjoyed it. At least it's an attempt at a cliffhanger. Something with a little intrigue. Apparently Buddy Murphy is spotted walking away in the background.

up_the_hampipe

So funny that they just happened to be filming a superstar walking up to a backstage interview for the first time ever.

sevendaughters

honestly reminded me of the student films I had to mark back in May

Ja'moke

All forklifts come with cameras attached in WWE.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on July 31, 2019, 11:56:11 AM
Enjoying that sarcasm at the end there. They're still doing this too. When commentary on SD were running down the Summerslam card, it was, "Seth Rollin's girlfriend Becky Lynch will be taking on Natalya."

Wasnt Rollins banging on recently about all the creative control he had and this was his and Lynch's idea?

up_the_hampipe

On the other side of things, Randy Orton's promo last night was excellent, showed consistency in storytelling and even utilised the infamous "STOOPID!" clip.

Deanjam

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 31, 2019, 12:03:17 PM
what on earth is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i6tEi_zmyA

Would've worked better if they'd gone off air before revealing that Roman was okay. Him just brushing it off was a bit shit. Hopefully the reveal of the assassin will be good.

Ja'moke

Two matches announced so far for AEW's TNT debut...

Cody vs. Sammy Guevara

and

Young Bucks & Omega vs. Jericho & Two Mystery Partners

According to Jericho's Instagram, "you're not gonna believe who I'm planning on bringing in!"

up_the_hampipe

CM Punk and uhhh... Vince McMahon?

Ja'moke

I'd guess the two main options are probably LAX (recently left Impact) and Enzo & Cass, though you think they'd want to stay away from the latter.

Maybe PAC and Scurll?

up_the_hampipe

If those are the big options, doesn't sound that shocking.

Ja'moke

Well, it's Jericho, got to take it with a grain of salt.

hummingofevil

LAX are amazing and if will be on AEW or WWE soon enough.

Their match against the Rock and Roll Express in Mania week is legitimately in my top 5 matches of the year. It was in Spring Break 2 (I think) and was absolutely ace. In fact, if there was a sub-category for one-off match story telling I would put that and Suzuki Barnett as the only two possible winners (unless, like Timothy you want to include all of AEWs output, then Cody Dustin completes the top three).

14th September. Bloodsports 2. Book it into your diaries now kids. I fucking love Bloodsports.

Ja'moke

Another great Road to All Out video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpni90vq9VE

MJF continues to be fantastic. And with a chair-shot and a few short videos they've managed to make Spears look a star.

up_the_hampipe

Harley Race has died. RIP.

Goldberg vs Dolph Ziggler apparently slated for Summerslam.

Not sure which news is worse.

Dannyhood91

CM Punk once took a shot of alcohol because Harley Race asked him to lol

peanutbutter

Coincidentally, this mysterious guy also died today

Ja'moke

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 02, 2019, 08:34:25 PM
AEW sold out.

I was wrong to have doubts. I guess I should have learned by now.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 02, 2019, 08:46:22 PM
I was wrong to have doubts. I guess I should have learned by now.

Yes. Me too.

hummingofevil

Anyone fancy watching Triplemania they have put this up on You Tube from last week. It's pretty fun as a go home show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4ObH1qCmWo

I agree so much about the Impact women. They are ace. They range from awesome to good in the ring but they all carry themselves as stars. It really should be more of a big deal. Shame.

Card:

Blue Demon Jr vs Dr Wagner - Mask vs Hair

Pentagon jr Fenix and Laredo kidd vs Young Bucks and Kenny

Cain Velasquez (in Lucha debut) and Psycho Clown vs Texano Jr, Taurus and Luchador Sorpresa

Women's Tables, ladders and chairs feat. Tessa Blanchard and others (but no Scarlett - boo).

+ all the usual nutcases trying to kill themselves.

I love this shit actually. Genuinely excited. Crowd should be red hot. And I have been studying my Spanish hard for the commentary. Brutal!

One more edit: The usual trick is the show is live for free on Twitch but you have to pay for the replays.

hummingofevil

So wait... we all know Gedo is a genius but is he THAT MUCH of a genius. Just watched Moxley Yano (of course it was amazing) but is that the attention to detail that Gedo puts in to plan that finish? Wow. Mind blown.

If you not seen it I recommend everyone seeks out the ZSJ "you are all going to die" promo followed by Lance Archer cutting one of the all time hilarious reponses. I was dying laughing at the word "smooth".:)