Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Desert Island Discographies

Started by Johnboy, March 09, 2019, 12:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

So you're stranded on a desert island and all you've got to listen to are the recordings of just one person.

That includes every record they've appeared on, ones they've played on, sang on, played bongos on whatever (credited or uncredited)

It also includes any record they've produced whether they played or sang anything on it or not

And just for the laff it also includes any bootlegs - live, unofficial recordings, unreleased, demos etc the lot

but just one person

So who's it gonna be?

Morrison Lard

Anything by The Fall.

cos within a week I'd have five hundred people who'd go out of their way
to find me just to tell me the songs I'd chosen were wrong.

Good chance of rescue then. Even if it is by them lot.

Throw them all overboard on the way back to land.

Elizabeth Fraser

You get all of Cocteau Twins, plus a little Felt and some Massive Attack.

Bennett Brauer

Todd Rundgren probably. About 30 solo albums, several albums with Utopia (some of the non-prog power pop/rock albums are surprisingly good), and a variety of good stuff where he was the producer. A load of eclectic styles anyway, which is what you want.

Are there any other people on this desert island? I don't want a bunch of twats telling me they've never heard of him.

Johnboy

nobody else on the island, it's all yours to explore

chveik

holyzombiejesus

Maybe John Cale so you could get the Velvets, his solo stuff and the Modern Lovers.

Lawrence would be a good choice as Felt, Denim, Go-Kart Mozart would cover most moods and then you could also have stuff like Shampoo and Supermarket if your head went all wrong.

jobotic

Brian Eno

The U2 and Coldplay records I could use to make the raft

or

Willie Dixon

Nowhere Man

McCartney, especially considering I think She Said She Said, Julia, Revolution 9 and Good Night are the only major Beatles songs he's not on. Which is still better than losing Yesterday, Blackbird, Martha My Dear, Here Comes The Sun and all the other recordings that Lennon's not on for example. Plus Band On The Run, RAM, Chaos & Creation and the rest of his vast solo career ect.

the science eel

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 09, 2019, 12:52:17 AM
Maybe John Cale so you could get the Velvets, his solo stuff and the Modern Lovers.

and the Stooges and Patti and the first Mondays LP

(don't tell me you deliberately missed those out...)

the science eel

Eno, Fall, McCartney are all excellent shouts

maybe Bowie - 'cos you'd get Transformer and Raw Power as well as all his stuff.

Maybe Eno, tho'.

Mr Banlon

mojo filters

To play it safe - AOS3 or You/U Slosh, as both of their output was limited by their short lifespan as an original creative body of musicians. Nevertheless their live work I saw growing up was prodigious in its own right.

For some significant body of work exponentially developing over time - the output from Dick Lucas et al. The combined works from Subhumans, through Culture Shock, to Citizen Fish offer a pleasing degree of coherent musical variety.

grassbath

Miles Davis, probably. Enormous discography, plenty of guest spots, tons of live stuff. And if there's ever a time to work your way through all that far-out shit, it's probably baking alone in the sun on a desert island.

Funcrusher

Quote from: grassbath on March 09, 2019, 10:47:49 AM
Miles Davis, probably. Enormous discography, plenty of guest spots, tons of live stuff. And if there's ever a time to work your way through all that far-out shit, it's probably baking alone in the sun on a desert island.

Also my choice. Massive amount of great music and range of styles.

Hal Blaine - Spector and the Beach Boys, among others

studpuppet

Carol Kaye - good mix of instantly recognisable hits and less well-known stuff.

Or maybe Nile Rodgers for the sheer breadth.

purlieu

Brian Dougans. Unsurprisingly. FSOL are my favourite band, and he's also done a lot of solo work, meaning I'd get 55 albums, 68 EPs, 14 library music compilations, eight DJ mix albums, 23 compilation tracks, 60 remixes, five produced tracks, a computer game soundtrack, and 63 ISDN transmissions / radio mixes (only including known bootlegs & officially released ones), plus a scattering of unfinished / demos that have leaked. Everything from noise to industrial funk to acid house, techno, rave, ambient, sound collage, trip-hop, acid jazz, IDM, jungle, breaks, psychedelic rock, prog epics, psych funk, traditional Indian sounding stuff, modern classical piano/string music, krautrock, analogue synth jams, musique concrete, dub and plenty of hybrids of the above.

Quote from: the science eel on March 09, 2019, 01:39:06 AM
and the Stooges and Patti and the first Mondays LP

(don't tell me you deliberately missed those out...)

And Nick Drake

alan nagsworth

Ween mate fucking obviously

Nine studio albums, one rarities anthology, one live studio session album, five official live albums, several hundred live bootlegs albums, the early tapes they did before they got signed and at least five or six full CDs worth of unreleased stuff, b-sides, demos and whathaveyou. And pretty much all of it is great.

SteveDave

Frank Zappa. Having nothing but his wank to listen to will really motivate me to get off the island.

Norton Canes

Nowhere Man

Robert Fripp.

All of King Crimson (which is fucking huge if you count live stuff), plus all his collaborations with Bowie, Eno, Byrne ect.

and since unreleased stuff is included everything Prince recorded in the 80s would be amazing to have.

a duncandisorderly

another vote for miles davis, on the assumption that I couldn't take my own stuff (which would include the lawrence wayward catalogue too, if those are the rules, because I'm on a denim album)

Howj Begg

Miles Davis is a good shout, but I could game this by choosing say... Simon Rattle. I would then have available to me the work of about... 200 composers and several thousand discs?

chveik

Golden E. Pump

Prince. 39 studio albums (including three triple albums and two double albums) and that's not even scratching the surface when it comes to unreleased material.

He recorded at least a song a day from 1977-2016 which is roughly 14,000 songs. That's bigger than most people's entire music collections. Then there's the live bootlegs and he toured pretty much every year during that time.

If you had access to every live show that would easily add another 50,000 versions of songs to the mix.

I reckon I could get by on about 70,000 Prince songs. I'd still want more though.

ToneLa

Quincy Jones
Everything from jazz and Soul Bossa Nova to Frank Sinatra to that nonce in the news a bit lately. Bit of a loophole one. Aaah

Fuck it though like you could ever get bored discovering albums like Quincy Jones Explores the Music of Henry Mancini