Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:40:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Monkey Dust appreciation thread

Started by Ferris, March 09, 2019, 03:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

I used to love this when I was younger, and on reflection, I still do. Imagine it - the beeb commissioning something weird and visceral that had artistic merit on BBC3 no less!

It was one of those comedy things that got to me early in my life (as with TMWRNJ, Stew's early live stuff, Garth Marenghi, TDT/Brass Eye, Partridge etc) that I felt was made for me, and had a formative impact on my comedy psyche. I'd love to watch it again, but can't find anywhere to buy a copy (and certainly not a Canadian copy that would work in my PS4/DVD player).

I've seen (and participated in) a lot of threads about shit telly. I thought it would be worth mentioning something I think is great, and I've never seen a thread about it on CaB before so figured I'd give it a go. Share your memories of MD, and if you know of anywhere where it is for sale please mention it and I'll buy it immediately.

To start - there is a terrific one-off piece about military testing a new Ebola variant on simple soldiers (under the guise of doing it for her majesty). The animation style and withering disdain from the medical staff has stuck with me. Magic.

Edit: here it is
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LU3AMfAUD4U

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 09, 2019, 03:58:25 AM
I used to love this when I was younger, and on reflection, I still do. Imagine it - the beeb commissioning something weird and visceral that had artistic merit on BBC3 no less!

It was one of those comedy things that got to me early in my life (as with TMWRNJ, Stew's early live stuff, Garth Marenghi, TDT/Brass Eye, Partridge etc) that I felt was made for me, and had a formative impact on my comedy psyche. I'd love to watch it again, but can't find anywhere to buy a copy (and certainly not a Canadian copy that would work in my PS4/DVD player).

I've seen (and participated in) a lot of threads about shit telly. I thought it would be worth mentioning something I think is great, and I've never seen a thread about it on CaB before so figured I'd give it a go. Share your memories of MD, and if you know of anywhere where it is for sale please mention it and I'll buy it immediately.

To start - there is a terrific one-off piece about military testing a new Ebola variant on simple soldiers (under the guise of doing it for her majesty). The animation style and withering disdain from the medical staff has stuck with me. Magic.

Edit: here it is
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LU3AMfAUD4U

I've forgotten how many good characters there were in this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Monkey_Dust_characters

Malcy

One of the many great shows that was on BBC3 around the time of its launch. A while since I watched a lot of it but I downloaded them a couple of years back and binged the first series and a bit of the second.

One of the sketches that stuck in my mind most was the one where Timmy goes to see his dad who's bought him a football top but the mums new boyfriend has hm supporting a new team. They were always pretty grim those ones.

Ivan was always good as well. Husband and wife team David Baddiel & Morwenna Banks were in it and I think David played himself. Yeah lots to enjoy in it but I remember it getting a bit samey and repetitive. Think that's why I stopped my rewatch.

finnquark

Your man who kept coming home late to his wife walking past a TV shop whilst Blair bellowed 'Britain wins. Party wins. People wins. Win. Win.'

idunnosomename

It was repetitive, BUT, unlike its contemporary, Little Britain (and other shit like Catherine Tate), the repetition did get increasingly reflexive and there was often a pay-off near the end of the series.

Some of the animation was better than others, sometimes it was just too try-hard dark, but it was so much better than the rose-tinted watching under the sheets brigade gave it back in the day here.

beanheadmcginty

Ferris

Classically Trained Actor was always a silly pleasure.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 09, 2019, 03:58:25 AM

I don't think it was ever given a Region 1 release but it is all up on Dailymotion, links are here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=Q9yDXNvYObGX1fAP9ey92AM&q=monkey+dust+episode+1&oq=monkey+dust+episode+1&gs_l=psy-ab.3...10404.11602..11846...0.0..0.84.651.9......0....1..gws-wiz.......0j0i22i30.PcKcS722Dso - though the moment you're back in the UK I expect you to buy it of course.

Ferris

Oh amazing, thanks SMBH! I will deffo buy it in the UK if I can find it - I try to financially support things that I like when possible (I genuinely tried to buy this on iTunes but no dice). I'm a (recent) CaB subscriber, for example, and a bit embarrassed it took me this long to start sending Neil a few quid a month. I didn't think I'd stick around here as long as I have...

Being stony broke for a very long time makes you appreciate the ability to send a few quid to show your support of things you value. The UK DVD won't work for me though. Oooooh I know, I'll buy it in the UK, and give it to some friends (with obligatory bottle of wine) to say thanks for letting us stay in July/August when we bring Ferris Jr to see all his cooing aunties in the UK. That feels like a nice solution.

Another Monkey Dust plug - it introduced me to the Eels who I'd never heard of before.

biggytitbo

The animation was great, and a lot more interesting than a lot of similar shows around at time, a sort of cross between jimbo and the jet set and yellow submarine. Loved the recurring police press conference sketch with the obviously guilty stepdad.

BlodwynPig

A entirely British but natural successor to Liquid TV with more comedy. I came to it late (2003-2005, no TV) via DVD I think (was it on DVD?). It does stray into populism at times but the outre stuff was phenomenally evocative of less beige times.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 09, 2019, 03:33:22 PM
I don't think it was ever given a Region 1 release but it is all up on Dailymotion, links are here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=Q9yDXNvYObGX1fAP9ey92AM&q=monkey+dust+episode+1&oq=monkey+dust+episode+1&gs_l=psy-ab.3...10404.11602..11846...0.0..0.84.651.9......0....1..gws-wiz.......0j0i22i30.PcKcS722Dso - though the moment you're back in the UK I expect you to buy it of course.

Edit: Region 1 is not UK...so I did have the DVD

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: finnquark on March 09, 2019, 09:10:26 AM
Your man who kept coming home late to his wife walking past a TV shop whilst Blair bellowed 'Britain wins. Party wins. People wins. Win. Win.'

Clive the Liar, it was always a favourite.

I also loved Abdul and Shafiq, the crap terrorists. It seems really prescient there are actual westernised people joining ISIS and lamenting the fact they can't have pringles.

Finally Baby Orthello.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 09, 2019, 03:58:04 PM
Clive the Liar, it was always a favourite.

I also loved Abdul and Shafiq, the crap terrorists. It seems really prescient there are actual westernised people joining ISIS and lamenting the fact they can't have pringles.

Finally Baby Orthello.

Abdul and Shafiq had quite a detailed knowledge of the contemporary West Brom squad, which was a nice touch.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 09, 2019, 03:19:33 PM

There's one sketch where he enjoys the company of a lady that really tickled me.

Also,

the continued adventures of the Rubbish Taliban.

"There is still hope that we can overcome the infidel Gillingham in the penalty shoot-out"

"Watch it, they're terrorist"
"No, they're not, they're Baggies"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D3B3lLgxDY

idunnosomename

I think what made the Crap Terrorists were that they were Brummies and distracted from their plots by such mundane Brummie things. And weirdly it was also the most lighthearted segment I guess. It and Paedofinder General were quite on the edge at that time. A lot of people would have found their satire quite offensive.

Cloud

Ahhh I used to love this.  Clive was a classic. 

"Clive.  Where have you been?  You were supposed to come home 24 hours ago."
"My name is Clive Pringle and today... has been the longest day of my life.  Terrorists planning to assassinate the prime minister!  My wife has been kidnapped!"
"No I haven't Clive..."
"I don't know who I can trust.  There may be people in my own organisation working against me"
"CLIVE.  Can I stop you there Clive? That is the plot of the next series of 24, and I don't want to know what happens in the end.  What have you really been doing Clive?"
"I spent the night at the boarding kennels up to my nuts in a King Charles spaniel"

shh

It was one of the first comedy thing I 'got' too, particularly since as a child I 'shouldn't' have been watching it.

I'm sure I mentioned it recently in another thread, but it had obvious social & political points to make (eg an organic tramp's head being served up at a middle class dinner party), but some of my favourite sketches were the silly Hollywood parodies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZDwt3YTF88

Have to mention a great cast too, Rebecca Front, Frances Barber, Michael 'Simon Greenall' the Geordie.

I think they only released the first series commercially due to issues getting rights for the music.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cloud on March 09, 2019, 06:40:57 PM
Ahhh I used to love this.  Clive was a classic. 

"Clive.  Where have you been?  You were supposed to come home 24 hours ago."
"My name is Clive Pringle and today... has been the longest day of my life.  Terrorists planning to assassinate the prime minister!  My wife has been kidnapped!"
"No I haven't Clive..."
"I don't know who I can trust.  There may be people in my own organisation working against me"
"CLIVE.  Can I stop you there Clive? That is the plot of the next series of 24, and I don't want to know what happens in the end.  What have you really been doing Clive?"
"I spent the night at the boarding kennels up to my nuts in a King Charles spaniel"

Oh, brilliant - will have to rewatch now.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: shh on March 09, 2019, 06:49:58 PM
It was one of the first comedy thing I 'got' too, particularly since as a child I 'shouldn't' have been watching it.

I'm sure I mentioned it recently in another thread, but it had obvious social & political points to make (eg an organic tramp's head being served up at a middle class dinner party), but some of my favourite sketches were the silly Hollywood parodies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZDwt3YTF88

Have to mention a great cast too, Rebecca Front, Frances Barber, Michael 'Simon Greenall' the Geordie.

I think they only released the first series commercially due to issues getting rights for the music.

People on this forum seem to be getting younger by the minute. Fucking hell.

Andy147

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 09, 2019, 03:19:33 PM

Always confused in my memory with the "I wine 'em, I dine 'em: I'm Des Lynam" sketches in Comedy Nation.
And the Mitchell & Webb sketch with the trainee weather forecaster who's learnt to leave an awkward pause in the middle of each sentence.

buzby

Monkey Dust was great. I loved that Ivan Dobsky was based on the real Stefan Kiszco case, and the ever changing methods of torture that were used to make him say he's done it. Also, the Eddie Murphy comedy sidekick that Mr. Hoppy was turned into for the Hollywood adaptation of his story.
The Warchester FC/Roy Of The Roasters sketches from series 3 were amazingly on the nose for 2005.
I did used to wonder if the Nazi Granddad was a veiled dig at Peter Serafinowicz.

thenoise

I have fond memories of Monkey Dust, tho I remember it being torn apart on here... too daaaark for CaB's tastes in those days.

The last series went a bit stale TBH, some sketches were ok, but I hated the cartoon rabbit or whatever it was that killed people in cartoony ways. I didn't like paedofinder general for that matter, obvious stuff and covered much better by ARE MAN KRIS. (He nicked the terrorists idea tho, and MD done it better)

Flouncer

I never made the Kiszko connection there but it makes sense now. That's one of my favourites; I like the one where he gets released and ends up murdering Stuart Maconie just to get put back inside because he can't hack it. The series one finale is fucking brilliant too; the grisly reveal that he's fashioned a new space hopper from the skins of the dismembered guards is a wonderful moment. The skilful use of appropriate music to put the sketches into context is a bit like Blue Jam to my mind.

The Timmy sketches are pretty hard-hitting. It's a real gut punch when the dad kills himself only for Timmy to drop the act he's been forced to put on and reveal that he'd rather stay with his dad. As mentioned earlier, Clive walking home through his shithole sink estate with Blair spewing out soundbites from the TV shop captures the zeitgeist of that time. The middle class dinner party twats are often on the money. Oh, and I love the genetically modified Bernard Manning tomato. It can get a bit repetitive but on the whole it stands up pretty well.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I never done it. I only said I done it so they'd take the truncheon out of me bottom.

Mr Banlon

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I always thought that some of the subject matter might be hard to watch if you'd ever experienced it in your own life, the suicidal Dad for example. Luckily I never have. I dunno, maybe it would be quite cathartic to watch it. There's similar stuff in Jam/Blue Jam, like the baby coffin, or the couple who hold an emotional press conference pleading for the return of their kidnapped son, before they pull out a Bontempi keyboard and do a little tune.

Thursday

Lahndahn

Essex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj8ThOmPTuM

It does suddenly seem slightly better in retrospect, I remember at the time most people were down on it being too self-consciously daaaark. But I don't know watching it now, it has a sense of fun and silliness. Also stacking it up against other attempts at British animated shows it holds up well.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I never done it. I only said I done it so they'd take me bellend out of the chilli sauce.

up_the_hampipe

I loved this show, but I remember reading Charlie Brooker slating it in Screenburn and thought it might not be as beloved as I'd hoped. Might have just been him though.