Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,494
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:56:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Monkey Dust appreciation thread

Started by Ferris, March 09, 2019, 03:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumblegraws

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 11, 2019, 09:25:34 AM
I loved this show, but I remember reading Charlie Brooker slating it in Screenburn and thought it might not be as beloved as I'd hoped. Might have just been him though.
I think there was an element of narcissism of small differences at play when he wrote that review.

I loved most of the first series (lowlight for me is Othello the baby, used to skip past those bits), but for some reason the subsequent series left me cold.
I liked springing the divorced dad sketches on people unfamiliar with the show and watching them wait for the punchline.

Twed

Watching it back now it seems a document of what Centrist Dads did in their 20s.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Jumblegraws on March 11, 2019, 04:39:16 PM
I think there was an element of narcissism of small differences at play when he wrote that review.

As I recall, he criticised it for just being dark for the sake of it. That's from the guy that went on to create Black Mirror.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 11, 2019, 04:59:30 PM
As I recall, he criticised it for just being dark for the sake of it. That's from the guy that went on to create Black Mirror.
Yeah, exactly. You could probably apply the same criticism to Nathan Barley with credibility to spare. I say this as someone who likes both Black Mirror and Nathan Barley.

Spiny Norman

I never appreciated Monkey Dust. I only said I appreciated it so they wouldn't ban me from C&B...

The cruel thing is that Ivan Dobsky is even based on a real case: Stefan Kiszko and the murder of Lesley Molseed.

But without the space hopper.

St_Eddie

Ivan Dobsky was based on Stefan Kiszko.  A man falsely accused and convicted for the murder of Lesley Molseed.

zomgmouse

A friend introduced me to this in high school and I watched the first series and part of the second but I absolutely loved it. So grim. I enjoyed the online pedo who wanted to meet a child and it turned out it was another pedo and then they fell in love. Clive was a constant favourite and a good use of Goldfrapp.

St_Eddie

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 14, 2019, 12:40:42 AM
I enjoyed the online pedo who wanted to meet a child...

I bet you fucking did, you dirty old bollocks.

Dannyhood91

I love this show, I started my own thread on this a year or two ago. Has it been mentioned that it's very similar to Morris' Jam wit it's contemporary electronic/indie soundtrack, surreal dark tone and satire or urban life and in turn the Wolverhampton terrorists seem to have inspired Morris' own Four Lions characters.

Maybe just a coincidence.

JamesTC

This is all a great thread but I just want to tell you a few more things about the aga.

Chollis

Quote from: shh on March 09, 2019, 06:49:58 PM
but some of my favourite sketches were the silly Hollywood parodies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZDwt3YTF88

Mine too. "Saladin you English bastard!!!" is my favourite line in the show.
The Nazis and the Irish was great too. "Kill all the women and children first".

Ferris

Quote from: Chollis on March 18, 2019, 03:49:14 PM
Mine too. "Saladdin you English bastard!!!" is my favourite line in the show.
The Nazis and the Irish was great too. "Kill all the women and children first".

Dedicated to the memory of all Americans who died in the early Middle Ages

neveragain

Seems there's one episode missing from Daiymotion - s2e4 (someone's just uploaded s1e4 again).

Very much enjoying trawling through these, though there is a drop-off in quality after the first series.

Dannyhood91

I love the Pretentious Wankers outside the nightclub bits. Reminds me of so many conversations I've sat through at house parties.

the

I only saw bits of this back in the day, and didn't like it at all. Seeing this thread made me think it might deserve a proper watch. I've just made it halfway through s1e1 and had to stop, because it's so fucking feeble.

There are no payoffs or punchlines. Everything's just 'bad situation - and then something bad happened. Cuh, the world you live in eh'.

Trying to universalise media obsessions (marketing, the worship of David Baddiel - er, hang on) and apply them to emergency situations in the most pathetic satirical sixth-form way.

A paedophile in a kiddies chat room. And the joke in this sketch is... oh, there isn't one. Never mind, isn't it tee-hee naughty and dark that we made a sketch about it!

The sketch with the divorced dad OBVIOUSLY FROM THE OUTSET going to kill himself is the weakest tossed-off shit imaginable.

The whole show attempts to justify its thin premise and pathetic writing by being animated and having a bit of music on it. Style over comedy. Trend-following. Bollocks.

neveragain

Quote from: the on March 22, 2019, 11:44:15 AM
Trying to universalise media obsessions (marketing, the worship of David Baddiel - er, hang on) and apply them to emergency situations in the most pathetic satirical sixth-form way.

A paedophile in a kiddies chat room. And the joke in this sketch is... oh, there isn't one. Never mind, isn't it tee-hee naughty and dark that we made a sketch about it!

The David Baddiel thing is whimsy, nobody thinks the world is actually obsessed with Baddiel.

And the very obvious joke about the chatroom sketches is that things keep going wrong for him (not that we feel any pity clearly), on top of which I love his outdated references when talking to young girls. "Oh you're a right Charlie Drake!"

Yes, the quality is variable (I think the Dinner Party sketches have the best writing), it's very crass and not to everyone's taste but there are still enough amusing sections for me. And 'style over substance' isn't really a problem if you actually like the style. Jam is another example - better in writing and performances sure but still a lot of it is shock for shock's sake.

the

Quote from: neveragain on March 22, 2019, 12:01:09 PMThe David Baddiel thing is whimsy, nobody thinks the world is actually obsessed with Baddiel.

It does seem to be implying that people revere/take comedians more seriously than anyone else though. This satirical conceit is just plucked out of the air - are we supposed to know of a precedent to this?

Quote from: neveragain on March 22, 2019, 12:01:09 PMAnd the very obvious joke about the chatroom sketches is that things keep going wrong for him (not that we feel any pity clearly), on top of which I love his outdated references when talking to young girls. "Oh you're a right Charlie Drake!"

Oh, he's inept. I suppose that's half a joke, I'll credit them with that. (It's not a 'very obvious' joke if you've only watched one.)

There's also a school of thought that 'very obvious' jokes aren't jokes worth making

Quote from: neveragain on March 22, 2019, 12:01:09 PMYes, the quality is variable (I think the Dinner Party sketches have the best writing), it's very crass and not to everyone's taste but there are still enough amusing sections for me.

I'm sure that you weren't directing it in this way, but that bit in bold can be used in a deeply annoying way. Often gets used as the 'dark comedy criticism deflector shield', the idea that attempts to criticise the comedy are actually objections to/offence at the themes.

Quote from: neveragain on March 22, 2019, 12:01:09 PMAnd 'style over substance' isn't really a problem if you actually like the style. Jam is another example - better in writing and performances sure but still a lot of it is shock for shock's sake.

True, and I'm not a huge fan of Jam for that reason. As you imply though, there is a depth of idea and a nimbleness of comic writing to Jam that Monkey Dust is bereft of.

neveragain

Re: crass/taste, I was being genuine. It is very crude and sometimes that gets annoying.
And I meant 'obvious' because they repeat the inept molester gag each time. The repetition is an issue in itself.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: the on March 22, 2019, 12:58:25 PM
It does seem to be implying that people revere/take comedians more seriously than anyone else though. This satirical conceit is just plucked out of the air - are we supposed to know of a precedent to this?

If I remember the DVD commentary correctly, it was lampooning the appearance of comedians on Question Time. I think at the time that had become a more regular thing than previously although I'm probably wrong on that point.

Retinend

I remember finding this forum because of Monkey Dust - it was absolutely panned on here by the SOTCAA crew. I think it is an over the top but hilarious satire of its time that was, like Edgar Allen Poe, a bit too unlike its contemporaries to have had any true influence thereafter, but stands out all the more for its originality. What's more, the characters were given more individuality than a live action sketch show could have done by virtue of the diversity in art style.

Retinend

Quote from: Twed on March 11, 2019, 04:44:22 PM
Watching it back now it seems a document of what Centrist Dads did in their 20s.

Can you elaborate?

Retinend

As an excuse for talking about the "daaaark" trend: does anyone remember a show by a troupe of magicians that blended magic with daaaaaark Jam-style sketches?  I remember one sketch being exactly Jam's "the cleaner" sketch (a little girl who tells a man how to dispose of a body) but with the cleanup being done with magic... which I remember being quite pointless since it was shot like a film anyway. I feel like I dreamed it.

zomgmouse

Pingers

I was thinking about Monkey Dust just the other day, so am pleased to see this thread. I really liked it at the time and have watched bits on YouTube since and still enjoyed it. I also Clive the Liar a lot. There is one that ends, after all the lies and evasion, with "spit-roasting a hooker with your dad", which I propose for an official CaB(TM) meme.

the

Quote from: Pingers on March 23, 2019, 11:54:17 AM"spit-roasting a hooker with your dad", which I propose for an official CaB(TM) meme.

Even the shittest CaB memes have more effort, imagination and conviction put into them than that line.

Black Ship

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBUFgJlrCDc

Especially when you realise what the handles of the "Space hopper" are.

Also a toss up between this and the finale of season 4 of Venture Bros for best use of a Pulp song in an animation.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Black Ship on March 24, 2019, 02:14:38 AM
This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBUFgJlrCDc

Especially when you realise what the handles of the "Space hopper" are.

Ah, that's great.  The highlight being...

"Come on, Ivan.  We have to let you go because you are not the 'meat safe murderer' after all."

"Yes, I am!"

"Paul Foot has proved that you didn't do it."

"What did I ever do to him?!"

Phil_A

Quote from: Retinend on March 22, 2019, 09:12:29 PM
As an excuse for talking about the "daaaark" trend: does anyone remember a show by a troupe of magicians that blended magic with daaaaaark Jam-style sketches?  I remember one sketch being exactly Jam's "the cleaner" sketch (a little girl who tells a man how to dispose of a body) but with the cleanup being done with magic... which I remember being quite pointless since it was shot like a film anyway. I feel like I dreamed it.

YES. I know exactly what you mean. On Channel 4, wasn't it? Was it a one-off or a miniseries?

The really rubbish thing about it was it was edited in such a way that made it clear every "trick" had obviously been put together from multiple takes, which removed any element of skill from the illusions. I'll have to find out what that was now.

I also remember another "adults" magic show around which included family-friendly magician Paul Zenon saying "fuck". I think that was something completely different though.

Edit: Ha, I found the Zenon thing, it was an hour-long special from 1999 called "Turning Tricks". Still no word on the other one though.
http://www.magicweek.co.uk/magic_profiles/magicprofile_0025_paul_zenon.htm

Dr Syntax Head