Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,557,123
  • Total Topics: 106,306
  • Online Today: 422
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 27, 2024, 04:57:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your favourite obscure local slang

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, March 09, 2019, 10:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm from the North East and I've always liked the word "pagger" for having a punch up.

"I paggered that cunt and no mistake about it, he was looking at 'wor pint!"

touchingcloth

Not obscure, but I wish I could get away with using "gegging". It's a great word and concept.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 09, 2019, 10:17:19 PM
I'm from the North East and I've always liked the word "pagger" for having a punch up.

Over the other end of the A69/66 in Cumbria, we used "brayed" for that.

Other random Cumrbian slang words:

Lowp - jump
fettle - feel ("aars fettle?" "aars reet, marra")
jameater-  some wanker from Workington

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 09, 2019, 10:17:19 PM

Pagger? Hartlepool?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 09, 2019, 10:25:36 PM
Over the other end of the A69/66 in Cumbria, we used "brayed" for that.

Other random Cumrbian slang words:

Lowp - jump
fettle - feel ("aars fettle?" "aars reet, marra")
jameater-  some wanker from Workington

In Newcastle we use brayed too, so I reckon NRP is a "southerner", i.e. Teeside or below.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 09, 2019, 10:30:23 PM
In Newcastle we use brayed too, so I reckon NRP is a "southerner", i.e. Teeside or below.

Guilty. I'm from Richmond Nth Yorks.

Brayed was also used a lot in our lexicon, that's why I said it has to be obscure. Pagger is a word I've only heard in certain circles, my guess is that it's a Newcastle word as I've seen it in Viz way back when.

Yampy - daft, losing it.

"Ee's proper yampy, ay ee?"
"I'd keep out of Gaz's way if I were you - ee's gooin' fuckin' yampy"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 09, 2019, 10:35:00 PM
Guilty. I'm from Richmond Nth Yorks.

Brayed was also used a lot in our lexicon, that's why I said it has to be obscure. Pagger is a word I've only heard in certain circles, my guess is that it's a Newcastle word as I've seen it in Viz way back when.

Posh southerner too!

I may have heard pagger as a child - whenever I hear local slang that is unfamiliar, I try and imagine my cousin saying it and if it sounds right coming out of his mouth then I agree it's genuine.

A sleeping child is said to be "hard on" in Hull.

Danger Man

'duck' is usually thought to be an East Midlands term of affection but it's also used by the yokels in Buckinghamshire. What's left of them.

biggytitbo

Duck in Hull is used for a kind of small meatloaf (the food, not the fat singer).

My favorite Hull one is patty, which is colloquial slang for a ladies american back fanny.

canadagoose

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 09, 2019, 10:25:36 PM
Lowp - jump
Quite common over the border, too, at least amongst my granny's generation. "Lowpin ower the dyke" and all that.

I tend to end up picking up words from wherever I'm living. I'm not sure if it's due to being a linguistic obsessive or just wanting to fit in. In terms of where I'm from, I still manage to use "platchin"/"drookit" (very wet) and "plitter" (muck about) now and then.

gib

Quote from: canadagoose on March 09, 2019, 11:26:35 PM
Quite common over the border, too, at least amongst my granny's generation. "Lowpin ower the dyke" and all that.

I'm betting that goes wayyyy back

Old Saxon hlopan, Old Norse hlaupa, Old Frisian hlapa, Dutch lopen, Old High German hlouffan, German laufen

https://www.etymonline.com/word/leap#etymonline_v_6625

canadagoose

Quote from: gib on March 09, 2019, 11:48:21 PM
I'm betting that goes wayyyy back

https://www.etymonline.com/word/leap#etymonline_v_6625
Huh, I hadn't made the link between "leap" and "lowp". Makes sense, mind.

biggytitbo

I heard today in some parts of the country a croggy goes by the name of 'pegging', which I always thought was the act of a lady giving a man a good seeing to up the arse with a strap-on dildo.

gib

Quote from: canadagoose on March 09, 2019, 11:51:10 PM
Huh, I hadn't made the link between "leap" and "lowp". Makes sense, mind.

mind = remember, that's country slang. This is fun.

canadagoose

Quote from: gib on March 10, 2019, 12:13:55 AM
mind = remember, that's country slang. This is fun.
Oh yeah, I'd say most Scots speakers would say "mind" for "remember". "Div ye mind..." I always find it funny when people try to speak "properly" and drop that in there. "Oh yes, I definitely do mind of that".

gib

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 09, 2019, 11:57:04 PM
I heard today in some parts of the country a croggy goes by the name of 'pegging', which I always thought was the act of a lady giving a man a good seeing to up the arse with a strap-on dildo.

Not sure about this one but etymonline has this
QuoteMiddle Dutch pegel "little knob used as a mark," Dutch peil "gauge, watermark, standard"), of uncertain origin; perhaps from PIE *bak- "staff used as support" 

Cuntbeaks

Weapon - Used to describe someone who is not only a danger to themselves, but others.

"Settle doon you ya fucking weapon, yir gonna get jailed"

Twed

Was calling people "extra" around 1994/1995 a South-East regional thing? Also can anybody explain how that slang made a resurgence on American Twitter around 2017? Were my kinfolk saying it 25 years ago because they got it from American TV or something?

Large Noise

"Ticket"- a tough guy.

As in "think yer a fuckin ticket wee man?"

Glasgow slang, but most weegies don't know it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote. "That's Leeds is that"

Translation: "That's fantastic"

Oh yes. Some of the more hardcore locals love Leeds so much they regularly use it as a positive adjective. An attractive woman? She's Leeds. How's your day going? Pretty Leeds, ta.. You get the picture. Only really used by the most Leeds of Leeds folk.

Fucking mental

Twed

"Muggy bonehead" was local to a single TV show.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Always liked "sen" for self.

There's no better use than for "shat mesen"

Bronzy

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Anyone heard "liggered" as in

"Ah wer proper liggered" ?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 09, 2019, 11:26:20 PM
Duck in Hull is used for a kind of small meatloaf (the food, not the fat singer).

WOULDNT BE SMALL IF IT WAS HIM WOULD IT OIIIIIIII

MidnightShambler

I've drawn a blank with this cos I've realised I speak in an incomprehensible Scouse patois at all times and only get to use the proper version of the language when I'm posting on here, it's ridiculous. I think that's why everybody around town is on the cusp of a fight, nobody has got the slightest fucking clue what anybody else is talking about.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Pingers

Plenty of good Sheffield ones:

Clumpit - daft person
Loppy - dirty (a lop is a flea, in old Norse I think)
I'll stand hanging - I'm amazed
I'll go t' foot o' our stairs - I'm amazed
It's like plaiting fog - this is impossible
You've shit yer pot full - I am not giving you any more chances (a personal favourite)