Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:15:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Beach Boys lyrics mystery

Started by Emma Raducanu, March 09, 2019, 11:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

I sporadically listen to the Beach Boys - I love their music in moderation.

However, I find myself singing their songs every now and then. I got 'Good Vibrations' in my head for ages - I kept singing

"I-I love the colorful clothes she wears and she's already workin' on my brain."

only when I put it on the lyrics were different -" I-I love the colorful clothes she wears and the way the sunlight plays upon her hair"

And I was like, how the hell have I made up such random lyrics.

Phil_A

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 09, 2019, 11:22:21 PM
I sporadically listen to the Beach Boys - I love their music in moderation.

However, I find myself singing their songs every now and then. I got 'Good Vibrations' in my head for ages - I kept singing

"I-I love the colorful clothes she wears and she's already workin' on my brain."

only when I put it on the lyrics were different -" I-I love the colorful clothes she wears and the way the sunlight plays upon her hair"

And I was like, how the hell have I made up such random lyrics.

Easily explained, the one you have in your head is the original version with Tony Asher lyrics, for the single release they were re-written by Mike "fucking" Love.

Part of the original lyric is on this alternate version from Smile, although I've heard fan bootlegs that join the two version together, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C__qH2HsWM8

JesusAndYourBush

I often have wrong lyrics in my head, and then occasionally the song will be on TV so I put the subtitles on to discover what the real lyrics are... but I always forget it again and revert back to the wrong version.  I figure the reason for that is because the wrong version has been in my head for several decades and so is burnt into my long term memory whereas the wrong version just goes in one braincell and out the other - it doesn't have a chance.

Emma Raducanu

Thanks for the explanation! Yeh Mike loves lyrics are better

ToneLa

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 10, 2019, 12:06:49 PM

I used to think his version was worse but I read a review in Mojo I think aroond the time of the SMiLE boxset that described Tony Asher's lyrics as "stalkerish" and now I can't go back because it just hit me that it's true. Asher's lyrics are sort of, afar... wishful, not knowing her... I wrote off Love's simplicity, foolishly.

I do still like Asher's "I, I only looked in her eyes
But I picked up something I just can't explain'"
Because I'm sure I've heard them lead into the chorus with a jubilant "I'm pickin up....! "

Did find it intriguing that Brian Wilson's SMiLE used the Asher lyrics. Now erroneously. Which I still like, just... yeah, Mike Love won this round. The cunt/

Mind you, Love's:

"Close my eyes, she's somehow closer now
Softly smile, I know she must be kind"

Fails the criteria I dismissed Asher with. Aaaargh Beach Boys. Be definitive ffs

"I'm picking up" is Love's phrase. The original is "I pick up"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sms0xyeTbqU

ToneLa

I bow to you, Michael Love; just this once mind cunt

Replies From View

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 10, 2019, 12:06:49 PM

That's no excuse for him being such an almighty bellend though.

ToneLa

Quote from: Replies From View on March 10, 2019, 11:25:37 PM
That's no excuse for him being such an almighty bellend though.

More like Mike Cunt!!

Yeah I know it's not the exact opposite of Love but

Mike Love's lyric to 'I Know There's An Answer' also fits the overall Pet Sounds vibe considerably more smoothly than the somewhat awkward 'Hang On To Your Ego'