Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:35:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Will Nintendo make another gameboy/D's?

Started by Bazooka, March 09, 2019, 11:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

The 3DS is pretty much at the last stand(fucking fantastic console) when Nintendo announced the switch I said in a Midlands accent "eh up" this console is handheld ?" What kind of trickery are you playing at Nintendo? We already have a gameboy and a gamegear.

Now you have read the nonsense I just wrote, will Nintendo make a follow up to the 3DS or stick more linear with a successful Switch platform and not release a new gameboy at all?

Twed

I think they are getting an amazing amount of value out of the current *DS and don't want to undercut that further.

Kelvin

Will they ever make a standalone, separate handheld? Depends what the longer term looks like for them. Maybe if they move away from a dual purpose device in a generation or two.

In the near future, though, I assume it's much more likely we'll get smaller, streamlined, probably dockless Switch variations, with a lot of the bumf stripped out to keep the size, weight and price low. Although I'm not sure what they do about battery life.  Maybe some sort of portable extra battery?

It's Switch all the way for now, though. Their handheld developers are all moving over to Switch games, as evidenced by the hideous new Fire Emblem entry, and I doubt they want to split their focus again now that the Switch is a success. 

St_Eddie

They might as well not bother.  Nothing will ever top the Nintendo D's.  Best handheld ever made.  Better than the Nintendo A's, B's and C's combined.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Will there be a need for one? Inevitably, batteries, processors, storage and that are going to be powerful enough that you could squeeze PS4/Xbone levels of performance into a handheld. Once that happens, the Switch model seems best. Why would you want to spend an extra four hundred quid on a home console, when the portable one is as good as it ever really needs to be?

Kelvin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 10, 2019, 03:21:31 PM
Will there be a need for one? Inevitably, batteries, processors, storage and that are going to be powerful enough that you could squeeze PS4/Xbone levels of performance into a handheld. Once that happens, the Switch model seems best. Why would you want to spend an extra four hundred quid on a home console, when the portable one is as good as it ever really needs to be?

Because most people still want to play games on a big screen, and with as few compromises as possible. I like playing switch games portably, but I'd always choose to play on a TV when I can.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

But you can play Switch on a big screen. Anyway, I'm talking about some hypothetical future one that doesn't sacrifice performance for the sake of portability. Or, at least, where the gap between it and a dedicated home console is essentially meaningless. Maybe the bit that plugs in the telly could include an extra processor for outputting swanky 4K graphics, so that the main unit isn't overburdened.

I suppose shared ownership is a bit of an issue with the Switch. It must be a bit of a pisser if you fancy playing a bit of Mario, only to find that your housemate has naffed off on the train with it.

Current wisdom suggests they'll come up with a handheld-only version of the Switch which is smaller, less power hungry, no detachable controllers, etc. to fill that sub-£200 price point once the 3DS family run out of steam.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 11, 2019, 11:38:11 AM
Current wisdom suggests they'll come up with a handheld-only version of the Switch which is smaller, less power hungry, no detachable controllers, etc. to fill that sub-£200 price point once the 3DS family run out of steam.

That's the opposite of what I want

Funcrusher

Their new console, the Nintendo Grocers Apostrophe will launch in 2020.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 11, 2019, 11:38:11 AM

This is the very obvious thing for them to do. They'll probably release a new kind of shoe.