Author Topic: Has Chris Morris become old-fashioned?  (Read 1030 times)

Retinend

• gettit done gettit on gettit done when you do it
Has Chris Morris become old-fashioned?
« on: March 10, 2019, 01:06:46 PM »
Do any of his sketches sit unwell with the moral status quo? Asking for a friend, actually.

Re: Has Chris Morris become old-fashioned?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 02:07:43 PM »
I watched the Jam Festival episode recently (having posted it as a choice moment on the latest TDT thread in CC) and didn't really like the cruelty, or laugh. Also on one of the music shows he uses the n word. But generally, compared to the moral vacuity of, say, something feeble like Tramadol Nights, Morris is Thomas Aquinas. The horror in TDT and BE come from someone with a moral backbone made of iron.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Baldness exposure gust
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 07:31:13 AM »
Morris doing "Stephen Hawking belm"?

buttgammon

• You can't trust a man what's made of gas
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 10:53:26 AM »
Is he blacked-up as Fur-Q?

Shaky

• I drink your thread
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 11:51:43 AM »
I watched the Jam Festival episode recently (having posted it as a choice moment on the latest TDT thread in CC) and didn't really like the cruelty, or laugh. Also on one of the music shows he uses the n word. But generally, compared to the moral vacuity of, say, something feeble like Tramadol Nights, Morris is Thomas Aquinas. The horror in TDT and BE come from someone with a moral backbone made of iron.

But that's Morris lampooning Paxman et al, doing a piece about a charity event in unsuitably aggressive and over-the-top fashion. I think the satirical point still shines through even today. It's fake cruelty like, "You're wrong, and you're a grotesquely ugly freak," at the beginning of Brass Eye. Completely inappropriate and unexpected in the setting... and therefore funny.

The Fur Q bit gets a pass from me because Morris did that whole Rok TV section himself away from the rest of the cast. He's a massive fan of funk/soul/hip hop etc as well so I highly doubt he was intending it to be a Milligan, Curry n Chips type of thing.

I bet he even has black friends!!

BlodwynPig

• Throwing two dogs at a goblin
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 12:57:58 PM »
Old fashioned doesn't equate to racist, sexist or homophobic.

Captain Z

• Oh yeah my cholesterol's going down
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 01:18:11 PM »

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 03:02:06 PM »
Has Chris Morris become old-fashioned?

Do any of his sketches sit unwell with the moral status quo? Asking for a friend, actually.

What are you really asking here? Whether the threshold of acceptability has receded over time to reveal now-indefensible elements of unfairness, punching down or a dodgy moral position behind his material (if present)?

And which strands of his material have you in mind? (You mention 'sketches', are you talking more about Blue Jam / Jam?)

Retinend

• gettit done gettit on gettit done when you do it
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 04:15:04 PM »
Brasseye has always struck me as essentially sketch-like in nature.

TwinPeaks

• didn't choose a very distinctive username did i
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 04:34:43 PM »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/day-come-breakout-marchant-davis-working-mad-scientist-chris-morris-1193021
All I knew was that he was this strange man who was obsessed with black folk!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

• He's the one with the flying feet
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 06:44:05 PM »
There are a few sketches in Blue Jam that appear to be mocking transgender folk. All the ones about people replacing their genitals with those of a duck, etc. I think I started a thread about it a few years ago.

chveik

• oh no I dropped my coconut water!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 07:58:41 PM »
There are a few sketches in Blue Jam that appear to be mocking transgender folk. All the ones about people replacing their genitals with those of a duck, etc. I think I started a thread about it a few years ago.

I remember a sketch where the parents replace their child's genitals by those of a duck. it's a bit of a stretch to call that "mocking transgender people".

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 08:07:16 PM »
But that's Morris lampooning Paxman et al, doing a piece about a charity event in unsuitably aggressive and over-the-top fashion. I think the satirical point still shines through even today. It's fake cruelty like, "You're wrong, and you're a grotesquely ugly freak," at the beginning of Brass Eye. Completely inappropriate and unexpected in the setting... and therefore funny.

Yeah, baffled how that can be looked at differently or fit the criteria of the thread question.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

• He's the one with the flying feet
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 01:13:24 AM »
I remember a sketch where the parents replace their child's genitals by those of a duck. it's a bit of a stretch to call that "mocking transgender people".
It's taking the piss out of people for having surgery to make their groins match their own self-image. If there is an analogue other than trans folk, I don't know what it is.

As noted in the relevant thread, these sketches might actually have been written by Graham Linehan.

chveik

• oh no I dropped my coconut water!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 02:14:02 AM »
It's taking the piss out of people for having surgery to make their groins match their own self-image. If there is an analogue other than trans folk, I don't know what it is.

As noted in the relevant thread, these sketches might actually have been written by Graham Linehan.

we don't know who wrote them, and we'll probably never know. I don't see Blue Jam as a work of satire, the point is not to mock people, it's about our imagination taking things to the extreme (in a very dark way), anyway, I only listen to Blue Jam at times of depression  (it's oddly therapeutic), I guess I'm not listening to it with a critical mind. and to be honest I don't really want to.

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 10:52:19 AM »
I've always thought of Blue Jam / Jam as absurdity for absurdities sake. There's a tradition of that in British comedy going back decades. That duck thing never evoked trans people in my mind, anyway.

momatt

• PAPERCLIPS!
    • instagram.com/m0matt
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 01:40:06 PM »
Do any of his sketches sit unwell with the moral status quo?

No, it's the children who are wrong.