Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:05:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fallout 76 - Life after Death?

Started by Barry Admin, March 10, 2019, 02:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

The original thread is here https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=69498 mostly dealing with the games prerelease.

I just got a code for F76, and so far... it seems alright actually. I could barely tear myself away from it last night to go to bed, I was really wanting to explore and build my camp more. I'm still very, very early on in the game though, so can't judge it yet.

It does seem there's a lot of people enjoying this now, though.

Anyone know if it's got better, or perhaps the hate train got a bit out of control?

It looks like there's a lot of exploring to do, also a lot of grinding. I already feel burnt out from reading shit off terminals, but it's usually fairly short and punchy. I just kind of feel like I'm going to enjoy this game for at least a while, exploring the wasteland and seeing what's out there.

Barry Admin

Okay well first bug/instance of shoddiness. It's put me back at the start of the "First Contact" mission which I completed last night. And I now don't have the resources to complete some of the steps again, as I've already done them! Bit of a fucking shitter.

The internet says "log out and in again." Doesn't work, it still asks me to listen to something which is no longer there. Useless.

St_Eddie

I haven't played it but I've seen enough of it (mostly via Jim Sterling's many videos dealing with the whole debacle) to know that it's utter gubbins.

A Fallout game without non-robotic NPC's and a focus on the weakest aspects of the previous 3D games (collecting shite; selling shite; building a camp with a crappy editor; bugs - and not just the giant mutated kind)?  No, ta.  Not interested.

Barry Admin

See, I don't care about the lack of NPC's as I find them all kind of boring and generic in games like this anyway. I just want them to shut up and give me the quest, mostly, especially considering how badly animated they are. Skip through everything they say as I spend read the subtitles.

I'm all up for a solitary experience where I just explore and build my character.

Immediately losing confidence in my progression being saved is a huge fucker though. I mean, I am actually losing gear here as well, it seems. I like that you have to monitor your food and water levels, but am pretty sure I'm losing those items when I reload - in other words, my character is starving and parched again, but I don't seem to have got my water or food back. Yep, Fancy Lads cakes now gone, so I'm definitely losing gear and now progress, and I've barely started the game.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 10, 2019, 03:21:14 PM
Yep, Fancy Lads cakes now gone...

Oh, sure.  The Fancy Lads cakes just disappeared into the ether of their own volition.  Pull the other one, mate.  It's got bells on it.

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 10, 2019, 03:21:14 PM
...I'm definitely losing gear...

The one thing you're definitely not losing is weight, you overencumbered bastard.

Barry Admin

I did just loot an entire gym - massive barbells - and have to slow walk to the nearest station to junk it. First encounter with another player, who ran up and started boxing moles and whatever what was attacking me. We didn't use the fancy emote system, just used ye olde "crouch and uncrouch a few times by pressing the right stick in" method as seen in Minecraft and such.

Then he went away, and I've just had a wee nosey at his camp, looks nice.

However I also seem to have lost my Vaultec jumpsuit, so I've been unknowingly running around in underwear and a party hat.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 10, 2019, 03:49:37 PM
However I also seem to have lost my Vaultec jumpsuit, so I've been unknowingly running around in underwear and a party hat.

"Unknowingly".  Yet more lies.

Barry Admin

I love this. It's great.

Just found power armour, not sure if I can keep it - the game is quite oblique in many ways, but I enjoy that as I like figuring stuff out, and making sense of the systems.

Seems there's new free content coming out starting from tomorrow, too.

I'm just having a blast exploring and seeing what's out there, had very few encounters with other folks, which is good.

St_Eddie

Well, I'm certainly glad that some people are enjoying it at least.

I'm kinda curious as to how long Bethesda will keep the servers up and running, given that the sales and critical reaction were 'disappointing'.  I'd imagine it might not be all that long until the costs of maintaining the servers outweighs the demand.

That's why I stopped playing online games after a while.  I couldn't bear the thought of falling in love with a game and being unable to guarantee that I could return to it at any point in my lifetime.

Barry Admin

I never worry about that, as I just naturally get bored and move on anyway. And stuff always comes back now, eventually.

I'm currently wondering whether I'm enjoying this, or whether I'm just addicted. You know? I'm fucking exhausted today, couldn't stop exploring and picking up junk, like a fucking nuclear binman. The first free DLC is out today - they pushed it back by a day, and I cynically think it's probably a deliberate ploy to have everyone saying "oh they're taking a lot more care now than they did at the start, good on them." Cause... that's what's happening.

Apparently there are locations that aren't actually on the map. I'm trying not to spoil the game for myself, like I'm not farming or anything, I'm just playing and following the quests and storyline, and really enjoying the dead world. Someone launched a nuke the other night and I shit myself when the server warned that it was about to happen, am I going to die?

Got to level 10 without a single death, then last night I finally started croaking to some of the bigger monsters I was encountering, such as an absolute swarm of super mutants. Killed some big monsters on the shooting range area too - I've got a nice wee automatic gun now, and my perks are starting to fill out, and I can kite well due to all my CoD Zombies practice.