Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:21:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Stanhope special coming

Started by ToneLa, March 11, 2019, 05:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneLa

Ooh just got this email

QuoteThe next Doug Stanhope stand-up comedy special will be filmed in Las Vegas, May 25th 2019. Full details coming soon. Those on the mailing list will be first to know

I'm excited. He's my favourite current stand-up. It's about time we had a new special frrom him!

Sod going to Vegas though. Are YOU excited or is Stanhope a tired old has been??

Shit Good Nose

Used to like him, and saw him in Bath a few years ago (and there were some walk-outs because of offence - what kind of fucking idiot in this day and age spends £30+ on a ticket without having any idea what the material is like?!?!?!?!) and it was pretty good.

BUT I think he's become quite tiresome since then - his podcast REALLY went downhill REALLY fast and I just gave up on it.

Sooooooo, I dunno...arsed mate, cigs at the moment.

I might catch it if it goes on Netflix.

BeardFaceMan

I really liked his earlier stuff but kinda lost interest around the time he started wearing those crap suits. His whole shtick just became a bit tiresome and try hard.

ToneLa

His podcast isn't great as he's just being him and not funny

I liked his recent book though and it was amusing!

His latest specials haven't been as good as say Deadbeat Hero but what is?

iamcoop

Quote from: ToneLa on March 11, 2019, 05:38:33 PM
Ooh just got this email

I'm excited. He's my favourite current stand-up. It's about time we had a new special frrom him!

Sod going to Vegas though. Are YOU excited or is Stanhope a tired old has been??

*POSSIBLE MATERIAL SPOILERS AHEAD*

I saw him live a few months back and he was ok. if it's any of the material he was doing that night I wouldn't get too excited. Mind you, it was one of the last dates of the tour, he seemed pretty tired and irritable and the audience was full of idiots. He actually stated it would be the last time he'd ever tour the U.K. because he'd had such a miserable time (and seemed to genuinely mean it.)

The bulk of his set seemed to be having a go at the king of Thailand. I can't even really remember why to be honest. I think he'd been invited to do some gigs there and was told he wasn't allowed to do certain material. The only memorable bit was towards the end of the set when he tackled #metoo and cancel culture in general. Again, I can't really remember exactly what his gist was but it was entirely in keeping with what you'd expect Stanhope to think about the subject..

Sorry I can't be more illuminating but it really was a bit of a shit night. It was at the O2 academy in Newcastle (awful, awful venue for comedy), the ticket was about £40 (he did a bit about that.."fuck you if you complain about the price, I wanna make money, if you don't like paying it don't fucking come" etc), he kept the bars open either side of the stage all night as obviously that's his thing but you then had to put up with drunk people fucking about and getting up constantly to loudly buy drinks, so when you add all that up and add in his shit mood the material seemed largely forgettable.

So yeah, this special will probably be great cos it's fucking Stanhope but my thoughts of him are a little tarnished cos of that night.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: ToneLa on March 11, 2019, 07:14:56 PM
His podcast isn't great as he's just being him and not funny

I've always been quite amazed at how much of a rambling unfunny bore he seems on podcasts, while being (at his best) such a sharp, fluid and hilarious stand-up.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 11, 2019, 08:09:39 PM
I've always been quite amazed at how much of a rambling unfunny bore he seems on podcasts, while being (at his best) such a sharp, fluid and hilarious stand-up.

He was brilliant on the earlier days of his own podcast, but for the last...probably two or three years it's been in mega freefall.  I've not listened to his since then, and have only seen and heard little bits sporadically when he's been a guest on others.

Noodle Lizard

Yeah, he was my favorite US standup for a while, but there's been a pretty steep decline in quality since 2015 or so.  Aside from no longer being very funny (I've seen every special and a few live shows since then, all disappointing), his worldview and commentary is also dull and tired now, and he can't hold his own in any kind of argument or debate anymore.  Maybe it's the booze or whatever finally catching up with him, but I don't have much interest in listening to him anymore.

I think that live election podcast from the Comedy Store really showed him up (whilst simultaneously making me like Bill Burr a lot more).

Quote from: iamcoop on March 11, 2019, 07:27:07 PM
It was at the O2 academy in Newcastle (awful, awful venue for comedy), the ticket was about £40

Well, that's the reason why I didn't go, right there.  The previous Stanhope show was £30 at the Tyne Theatre, a great venue, but I didn't think that I got my 30 quid's worth.  A more expensive gig at a shitter venue?  Fuck that.  I knew somebody who went to the Academy show, and he by-and-large enjoyed it, but it was ruined by a guy who was the first pisshead to heckle Stanhope, obviously the drunk guy (not Stanhope) got his arse handed to him by Stanhope, but the heckler kept it up and for whatever reason, had a go at my mate and security had to step in.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 11, 2019, 09:56:31 PM
I think that live election podcast from the Comedy Store really showed him up (whilst simultaneously making me like Bill Burr a lot more).

In fairness, that was recorded the day after his girlfriend suffered a massive brain injury, which she was not expected to recover from. Even so, he was less obnoxious than Joe Rogan or Sara Tiana.

Wet Blanket

His podcast is rubbish but I've found something to enjoy in all his shows. Saw him live at the Leicester Square Theatre a few years ago and was surprised by how genuinely drunk he appeared. That ain't no act.

This was when he was on Charlie Brooker's show and presumably at his most high profile over here, yet the tickets were something like £15. I was amazed when he toured most recently and they were £40 jobs in massive rooms.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on March 12, 2019, 02:24:10 PM
In fairness, that was recorded the day after his girlfriend suffered a massive brain injury, which she was not expected to recover from. Even so, he was less obnoxious than Joe Rogan or Sara Tiana.

Yeah, I know.  But he basically treats Bingo like a retard-in-care most the time (seen it firsthand), and didn't even seem to give a fuck when she quite sincerely talked about wanting to die on the podcast (and then disappeared for the best part of a week not long after - "It's good podcast material!"). 

He was fucked up that election night because he spent most of the time doing coke with Marilyn Manson backstage, same as his last few Comedy Store appearances where he's been too busy palling around getting fucked with Johnny Depo or whoever to turn in a coherent performance, despite charging $40+ a ticket (more than anyone I've paid to see at the Store, including Louis CK in his prime).  Every radio/podcast interview/debate since then has been the same.  He's well past his prime at this point, let's be honest.

ToneLa

I think he is OK to Bingo but he still wheels her out like a joke
I love his on stage turns of phrase
I just myself wish Bingo was never ever involved? I don't even see why /how she could be

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 13, 2019, 04:08:14 AM
Yeah, I know.  But he basically treats Bingo like a retard-in-care most the time (seen it firsthand), and didn't even seem to give a fuck when she quite sincerely talked about wanting to die on the podcast (and then disappeared for the best part of a week not long after - "It's good podcast material!"). 

Someone needs to tell him it's not good podcast or stand-up material. The Bingo stuff is why I had to stop listening to him. I remember when they were on Stern and they tried to drag up details on their personal life (quelle surprise!), and it sounded thoroughly awful. It's not funny, it's bleak.