Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:19:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

People laughing at nothing

Started by madhair60, March 12, 2019, 08:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

In Notes From A Small Island, Bill Bryson notes the the subtlety of the "slightly raised index finger off the steering wheel" when a British motorist is thanking another for letting them by.

While imperceptible initially, a similar tradition exists in Czechia. You slightly purse your lips, slightly furrow your brow and give the server a micro-nod of the head, who in turn reciprocates. It signifies, I suppose, consent to go without flowery pleasantries. Remember this is a country whose most popular compliment and positive review translates to "I have nothing to reproach".

A few years back I got into a lift that was already occupied by the council's chief executive (the first black council chief exec. in England and Wales, fact fans). As we stood side by side, wordlessly looking straight ahead, I made a faint, nose-clearing-type snuffle, which he obviously mistook for a stifled laugh and so joined in with a soft chuckle of his own. Looking back, it was quite endearing. 

Lost Oliver

Guy at work does this all day long. He's also an arrogant, bourgeoisie type who has absolutely no interest in anything other than himself.

Today I had to show him how to copy and paste some cells from an Excel document into an email because he claimed it would be quicker to type out the information rather than ctrl+c ctrl+v -ing. Even after I showed him he maintained that it would be quicker to type it. Unbelievable.