Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,468
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:09:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The John Deacon Appreciation Thread

Started by bgmnts, March 12, 2019, 09:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

The coolest man in rock.

<3

I'll just leave this mega hit here:

https://youtu.be/rY0WxgSXdEE

magval

Can't follow that link coz I'm at work and I really don't know much about Queen but if it's The Invisible Man then it contains one of the best bass lines ever plus the great shot of John Deacon's cornish curmudgeonly face when Freddie says his name (John Deacon) after the first chorus.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: bgmnts on March 12, 2019, 09:50:06 AM
The coolest man in rock.

Daily Mail? Check! Three Everton Mints in front pocket? Check!

I do love You're My Best Friend though. It's not typical Queen.

bgmnts

Quote from: magval on March 12, 2019, 10:40:21 AM
Can't follow that link coz I'm at work and I really don't know much about Queen but if it's The Invisible Man then it contains one of the best bass lines ever plus the great shot of John Deacon's cornish curmudgeonly face when Freddie says his name (John Deacon) after the first chorus.

That's actually how I refer to John Deacon, always.

JOHN DEACON!

Head Gardener

the only solo stuff he did was for this film - as The Immortals : trailer

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Wasn't Nick Heyward involved? He seems to be on the album sleeve.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 12, 2019, 03:01:25 PM
Wasn't Nick Heyward involved? He seems to be on the album sleeve.

No. Left to right, A A Gill, Pat Sharp, Ian Gillan.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 12, 2019, 03:08:41 PM
No. Left to right, A A Gill, Pat Sharp, Ian Gillan.

The film 'Biggles' came out in 1985, so we can only assume that it was Pat Sharp who gave Vic and Bob the inspiration for Mr. Wobbly Hand of Novelty Island fame.

SteveDave

I've heard lots of lovely (possibly libellous) stories about John Deacon when I met a well-known Queen loving comic. Once. A long time ago. I am available for after-dinner speaking.

daf

Quote from: SteveDave on March 12, 2019, 03:22:00 PM
a well-known Queen loving comic

- The Beezer
- Cor!
- Whizzer & Chips *

- - - - - - - - - - -
* (Mainly Whizzer - Chips is more of an Ambrose Slade & Mud man)

pupshaw

Don't forget the immortal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deacy_Amp.

Hand fashioned from an old radio found in a skip, whose sound was impossible to reproduce until Brian allowed someone to disassemble it and read the specs of every single component

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

What was it with Queen and their obsession with assembling musical equipment from scratch? I think it's rather charming, they were rock and roll Heath Robinsons. Did Roger Taylor build his own drum kit from biscuit tins, wire and kettles? I do hope so.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 12, 2019, 06:02:51 PM
What was it with Queen and their obsession with assembling musical equipment from scratch? I think it's rather charming, they were rock and roll Heath Robinsons. Did Roger Taylor build his own drum kit from biscuit tins, wire and kettles? I do hope so.

I believe Taylor's drum kits were made from human skin that he bought from the local morgue.  Mercury's microphone was fashioned from robot cocks left over from 50's sci-fi films.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 12, 2019, 11:36:46 AM

^^ That mate, is dignity,

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Butchers Blind on March 12, 2019, 06:08:52 PM
I believe Taylor's drum kits were made from human skin that he bought from the local morgue.  Mercury's microphone was fashioned from robot cocks left over from 50's sci-fi films.

And yet none of this was mentioned in the Oscar-winning biopic. A bloody disgrace.

DrGreggles

I fucking hate Queen, but Deacon is the least bad member.
At least he had the decency to leave them.

famethrowa

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on March 12, 2019, 07:16:28 PM
^^ That mate, is dignity

Yea well done Deacy. Having the integrity to say well Freddie's dead, might as well pack it in. Some might see it as selfish to deprive the fans but fuck em, he can do what he wants, and he did.

gilbertharding

Quote from: pupshaw on March 12, 2019, 05:53:23 PM
Don't forget the immortal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deacy_Amp.

Hand fashioned from an old radio found in a skip, whose sound was impossible to reproduce until Brian allowed someone to disassemble it and read the specs of every single component

Wait. They decided to authorise a series of replicas/reproductions. Some engineers built a number of prototypes which came very close to reproducing the sound of the original across all parameters... and THEN someone allowed them to take the back off the original and make notes.

Blimey.

phes

I share a birthday and initials with Deaco Just let that sink in. Guy was apparently a genius though so that's where the similarities end fucksakes

Rizla

Since the demise of the "Last thing that made you rock with laughter like Bobby Davro was on telly" thread, this is where I have to put these amazing Queen-based motivational posters.

http://queenwillrockyou.weebly.com/motivational-posters.html

Always liked him in the Flash video. The rest of the lads are clearly convinced they're intergalactic supervillains hurtling through the cosmos while John's mind is probably on what to have for tea later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmrHTdXgK4

Head Gardener

The first time I had a record dedicated to me on the radio was Alan Freeman playing You're My Best Friend on the Saturday Rock Show in 1976,
I'd written in requesting some Queen mate, but to be honest was disappointed with Fluff's choice - anything from Sheer Heart Attack or Queen II
would have been more appreciated to be honest.

PaulTMA

Quote from: famethrowa on March 13, 2019, 09:32:59 AM
Yea well done Deacy. Having the integrity to say well Freddie's dead, might as well pack it in. Some might see it as selfish to deprive the fans but fuck em, he can do what he wants, and he did.

Stuck with them for six years after died though.  He's on that bloody awful Dead Diana single they did.  It's nice to think of him as the bastion of good taste (I think he proper dissed the Robbie Williams and FiveIve collabs), but he probably can't just be bothered anymore and I imagine has no qualms about his share of the money coming in from whatever Maylor do.  Can't say I blame him if so.

Here he is cornered in his car, complicity signing handfuls of strat pickguards which are obviously going straight to eBay.  Get the feeling assertiveness isn't a strength of his.  :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzCRFDZDyJY

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 12, 2019, 06:02:51 PM

Born 30 years later, Queen would have been a great team on Robot Wars.

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 12, 2019, 11:36:46 AM

https://youtu.be/ELYudG_0j3c?t=1619

BlodwynPig

Head Gardener