Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:27:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No vaccine no school

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 12, 2019, 11:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should children have to be vaccinated before they attend school?

Yes
65 (95.6%)
No
3 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Fambo Number Mive

This is the policy in Italy. Should a similar policy be adopted here? I can't really see any reason for not vaccinating children so I think it is a good idea.

QuoteLast month, an eight year old recovering from cancer was unable to attend school in Rome due to his weak immune system.

The child had spent months receiving treatment for leukaemia, but was at risk of infection because a proportion of pupils in the school had not been vaccinated - including several in the same class.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47536981

Lordofthefiles

If kids are vaccinated surely there's no threat from unvaccinated kids because they've been vaccinated?*

*literally no research was carried out before attempting this leap of logic

Alberon

Fucking imbecilic anti-vaccinators. I don't care about them putting their own lives at risk, but their children?!? And just because they've read some anti-science on Facebook.

Utter fucking twats.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 12, 2019, 11:35:29 AM
The child had spent months receiving treatment for leukaemia

Let's hope he didn't wait in vain

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on March 12, 2019, 11:37:56 AM
If kids are vaccinated surely there's no threat from unvaccinated kids because they've been vaccinated?*

*literally no research was carried out before attempting this leap of logic

No. Being vaccinated doesn't mean you're 100% immune.

Neville Chamberlain

I'd be happy to see mandatory vaccination (for all kids who can receive vaccinations, of course!). I'm fed up to the back teeth with parents I've encountered in real life and online who say that they know best about what their kid needs. No you fucking don't, not when it comes to something like this - and anyway, this is about other kids, not just yours.

That "Doctor" Andrew Wakefield has got a lot to answer for, the cunt.

Shit Good Nose

Are there STILL people who are anti-vaccine?!?!?!?!

Fucking hell I had no idea, despite having an 8 year old.  Madness.

Is it still the autism thing, or have they come up with other spurious links now?

Lordofthefiles

gib

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 12, 2019, 12:10:51 PM

Americans, innit.

Neville Chamberlain

Yep, a vaccinated child stands a much, much better chance of not getting the disease at, but, if it does, the course of the disease is likely to be much less severe.

Neville Chamberlain

Is it still the autism thing, or have they come up with other spurious links now?

Chemtrails.

ToneLa

Landslide for Yes so far, I couldn't be the token No vote as fuck that for a stance even if playing devil's advocate

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: gib on March 12, 2019, 12:17:52 PM
Americans, innit.

Not just Americans - in Italy for example vaccination rates are below 80%, according to the BBC.

bgmnts

How can people be so thick? I don't get it.

Buelligan

I'm not sure it would be right to deny a child education on the basis that its parents are arseholes.  That doesn't seem to be a fair or sensible approach at all.

Dex Sawash

I never got the smallpox vaccination. Is that bad?

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Buelligan on March 12, 2019, 12:26:49 PM
I'm not sure it would be right to deny a child education on the basis that its parents are arseholes.  That doesn't seem to be a fair or sensible approach at all.

Probably best to build camps where unvaccinated children can go.

Blumf

[tag]Bob Marley follow up, bit too clinical[/tag]

JesusAndYourBush

Fucking hell I had no idea

Up until last week I had no idea "anti-vaxxers" was a thing in this country.  I assumed it was something exclusively American, but no, it appears we have them too.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 12, 2019, 12:46:37 PM
I never got the smallpox vaccination. Is that bad?

I'm sending a box of smallpox in the post to you, so we'll find out.

Mind you, I've used Yodel, so it'll probs get delivered to the wrong address, and/or get damaged in transit.

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 12, 2019, 01:12:12 PM
Up until last week I had no idea "anti-vaxxers" was a thing in this country.  I assumed it was something exclusively American, but no, it appears we have them too.

I didn't even know the Americans were still at it (although I guess it wouldn't be at all surprising in the bible belt), so you (I) really do learn something every day.

I'm 40 in a couple of weeks and I've never had chicken pox.  Dead soon. 

I had mumps when I was little, which turned me into a moomin for about a month.

katzenjammer

I would absolutely ban non-vaccinated kids from school, and any other public institution for that matter, and have the parents arrested for negligence (hopefully they'd be sentenced to spend a couple of weeks in an iron lung).  To me not getting your kids vaccinated is as irresponsible as drink driving, you're putting someone else's wellbeing at risk because of your own stupidity.  It's anti science and anti common sense, there's no rational justification for it.

On the subject of immunity duration after vaccination I looked into it vaguely a while back and concluded that for new vaccines there's not enough data but generally for all vaccines immunity gets weaker over time.  The only sure fire way for vaccination to be effective is to keep the rates in the general population high.  A widespread outbreak of one of the 'childhood' diseases would affect adults far worse than children since their immunity may have worn off and symptoms are much more severe in adults.  My aunt is hearing impaired due to contracting mumps from her son when he was very little. 

There's a cautionary tale here

QuoteA 6-year-old boy from Oregon was playing around his farm when he cut his forehead. His parents cleaned and stitched the wound at home and saw no need for a tetanus vaccination. Six days later, he started spasming uncontrollably and was only barely saved by doctors. Even so, his parents said they will continue to not vaccinate him.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on March 12, 2019, 12:26:49 PM

'no school' seemingly the cause and the solution.

Endicott

Quote from: katzenjammer on March 12, 2019, 03:28:30 PM
I would absolutely ban non-vaccinated kids from school, and any other public institution for that matter, and have the parents arrested for negligence (hopefully they'd be sentenced to spend a couple of weeks in an iron lung).  To me not getting your kids vaccinated is as irresponsible as drink driving, you're putting someone else's well being at risk because of your own stupidity.  It's anti science and anti common sense, there's no rational justification for it.

You should probably evaluate the level of risk in these two cases as I doubt they are actually equivalent.

There's a cautionary tale here

On the other hand, string these fuckers up.

On denying entry to schools - what if a family moves in from a country without the education and infrastructure to have been able to vaccinate? Who decides on the exclusion? You'd need a trial board, ridiculous to have to manage. Just make vaccination compulsory, job done.

ToneLa

Notorious BIG considers modern rewrite

Morrison Lard

Are anti vaxx parents saying that, according to the load of old bollocks they believe,
they would rather they had a dead child on their hands than an autistic one?

Crikey.

Buelligan

I'm no expert but the running costs are probably far lower.

Also, it depends on motivation, some are like our tits, terrified all their base are belong to psyops but there are others who believe it's God's Law.  For the God ones I imagine cake or death is a no-brainer.  Pretty much doesn't even matter what religion, death every single time for those lads.

jonbob

I can't send my kid to school with a peanut butter sandwich, you can't send yours with a easily preventable deadly disease.

imitationleather

Isn't keeping non-vaccinated kids away from school for their own safety? It's not going to effect the kids that have been vaccinated.

The anti-vax movement has gone from saying that vaccinations cause autism, to saying that illnesses such as measles are actually good. It's brain-meltingly awful and I wouldn't recommend reading any of it.

Noodle Lizard

The anti-vax thing is still huge here in California, largely among liberals who still think GMOs are inherently bad and advocate against chemotherapy in favor of meditation and ginger tea.  It's definitely not just an Alex Jones conservative thing, which is how the media tends to portray it now.

Then there are people somewhere in the middle, like my wife, who are into researching each vaccination and not doing them all at once.  I sympathise with this view a little more, since the insurance-driven healthcare system often results in doctors pushing a lot of unnecessary shit and doing it as quickly as possible so as to increase profits.  With her kid, they wanted about 10-15 vaccinations within the first six months alone, which she refused, instead opting to spread them out over the first couple of years.  The science differs a bit on this, but her kid's been fine at least.  When I asked my very by-the-book parents about it, they said I didn't get anywhere close to that many vaccinations as a child in the UK.  It's one of those unfortunate situations where you don't trust pseudoscientific panic, but you also can't completely trust the medical industry here.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: SpiderChrist on March 12, 2019, 12:59:25 PM
Probably best to build camps where unvaccinated children can go.

Best make sure they're very clean, too.

definitely going to hell for this one