Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:24:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No vaccine no school

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 12, 2019, 11:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should children have to be vaccinated before they attend school?

Yes
65 (95.6%)
No
3 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Are people really bothering to engage with this guy?  If someone came along proclaiming that the earth was flat, would anyone even bother to dignify that with a response?

katzenjammer

im barry bethel

Quote from: gne on March 13, 2019, 10:02:46 AM
I love this phrase.

Tell us then, what clinical studies prove that vaccinated people (who get all their currently recommended shots) are healthier than non-vaccinated people?

I think the recorded cases of deaths from Polio/Meningitis/smallpox in countries that have a national vaccination program Vs those countries that don't might help you out with that

Endicott

Quote from: gne on March 13, 2019, 07:46:48 AM
If your child's vaccinations don't even immunise them from said diseases then there's no justification for their use at all.

They reduce the risk of getting a disease rather than eliminating that risk completely. But remember, it isn't all about each single vaccination. It's about the cumulative effect of them all. Once this reduced level of risk hits enough people, the numbers of people getting the disease fall, in many cases the disease is wiped out.

Tell us then, what clinical studies prove that vaccinated people (who get all their currently recommended shots) are healthier than non-vaccinated people?

Such misunderstanding. An individual isn't healthier, they are exposed to less risk.

Vaccination programs have successfully eradicated diseases such an small pox and measles that previously killed thousands, but it only works if nearly everyone does it.

Neville Chamberlain

I love this phrase.

Oh, blinking heck.

It's not about vaccinated people being healthier, as such, than non-vaccinated people - it's about the likelihood of vaccinated people contracting a disease as compared with non-vaccinated people. And unfortunately for you, the evidence is that vaccines work.

I agree with Bulligan's point that "Big Pharma" has helped to foster an atmosphere of distrust in conventional medicine with its sometimes dishonest tactics, but this still doesn't absolve people - and, in the case of vaccinations, parents - from their responsibility to take a rational, evidence-based look at scientific data and not be distracted and seduced by quacks and charlatans promoting their own form of extremely harmful pseudoscience.

I'd also add that it speaks to the phenomenal privileges we enjoy growing up in the developed West that we can even consider the idea of being "vaccine-skeptic".

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Darles Chickens on March 13, 2019, 10:10:41 AM
Are people really bothering to engage with this guy?  If someone came along proclaiming that the earth was flat, would anyone even bother to dignify that with a response?

Fair point. I'll stop, too.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on March 13, 2019, 10:17:33 AM
I agree with Bulligan's point that "Big Pharma" has helped to foster an atmosphere of distrust in conventional medicine with its sometimes dishonest tactics, but this still doesn't absolve people - and, in the case of vaccinations, parents - from their responsibility to take a rational, evidence-based look at scientific data and not be distracted and seduced by quacks and charlatans promoting their own form of extremely harmful pseudoscience.

I also agree, but as you pointed out vaccines aren't a great business model for big pharma.  In fact a better strategy for growing profits would be to sow seeds of doubt about vaccine effectiveness to reduce uptake and force more people into needing expensive drugs to relieve symptoms.   

gne

Quote from: im barry bethel on March 13, 2019, 10:12:28 AM
I think the recorded cases of deaths from Polio/Meningitis/smallpox in countries that have a national vaccination program Vs those countries that don't might help you out with that

Not what I asked for. I don't deny specific vaccines might help cure certain conditions. I want the proof that our current vaccination programs are actually effective. If it's stopping people getting the measels but actually giving them cancer then that is a very important fact to be known.

Endicott

Quote from: gne on March 13, 2019, 10:28:30 AM
Not what I asked for. I don't deny specific vaccines might help cure certain conditions. I want the proof that our current vaccination programs are actually effective. If it's stopping people getting the measels but actually giving them cancer then that is a very important fact to be known.

Vaccines don't cure anything at all, you bulb. They're a preventative measure. They stop disease by giving it nowhere to live.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: gne on March 13, 2019, 10:28:30 AM
I want the proof that our current vaccination programs are actually effective.

Only if, when presented with the information, you promise to say "Cor blimey, I never knew that - I was wrong all along! Thanks, chaps" and then toddle off and vaccinate the next child you see up to its eyeballs ;-)

gne

Quote from: Endicott on March 13, 2019, 10:37:29 AM
Vaccines don't cure anything at all, you bulb. They're a preventative measure. They stop disease by giving it nowhere to live.

Right I mispoke, what a bulb. They don't cure anything.

Cuellar

There was that one guy who came on specifically to do that (think it might have been a [banned member] sock or something). The thread went on for a while.

Buelligan

Quote from: katzenjammer on March 13, 2019, 10:25:23 AM
I also agree, but as you pointed out vaccines aren't a great business model for big pharma.  In fact a better strategy for growing profits would be to sow seeds of doubt about vaccine effectiveness to reduce uptake and force more people into needing expensive drugs to relieve symptoms.

Heheh, sorry to by cynical but I wouldn't put anything past some of these cunts.  My feeling is that medicine, health, whatevs, is no place for capitalists.  Once they stick in their dirty little priorities the whole thing is vaccinated against bona fides to the great detriment of the public good.

FWIW (nothing at all but it's mildly interesting and an opportunity to ancestor-brag), I'm descended from The Cunt Edward Jenner.

gne

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on March 13, 2019, 10:39:39 AM
Only if, when presented with the information, you promise to say "Cor blimey, I never knew that - I was wrong all along! Thanks, chaps" and then toddle off and vaccinate the next child you see up to its eyeballs ;-)

Go for it. Potentially big bucks in it for you as well.

Neville Chamberlain

I have a feeling you're not being entirely honest in your "challenge" ;-)

JesusAndYourBush

Althea & Donna consider rewrite...

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: gne on March 13, 2019, 08:27:22 AM
Pox parties are a natural method of providing a life time of immunity to the measles, something no vaccine can provide.

That made me do a big lol but not as big a lol as from the posts from those who actually engaged with this poster after it, this forum has some of the most easily trollable folk on the net.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes, once. In what sense in this case does responding confer dignity?

idunnosomename

just let your kids eat things they drop on the floor. that'll harden them up against anything. cancer, shingles, trapped wind, crabs, the lot

Cuellar

I don't vaccinate my kids because I don't have any kids.

I do vaccinate other people's kids though. Whether they like it or not sorry.

chveik

Quote from: Buelligan on March 13, 2019, 10:46:52 AM
FWIW (nothing at all but it's mildly interesting and an opportunity to ancestor-brag), I'm descended from The Cunt Edward Jenner.

why 'the cunt'? he was a pretty good guy apparently.

QDRPHNC

I think anti-vaxxers are being silly, but Q Jr almost had to have a complete blood transfusion due to an allergic reaction to a vaccine, so I can't work up any frothy rage over it either.

Paul Calf

Quote from: gne on March 13, 2019, 10:40:43 AM
Right I mispoke, what a bulb. They don't cure anything.

They cure POVERTY IN DRUG COMPANY EXECS rite mate? Rite? Am I rite then?

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: gne on March 13, 2019, 07:46:48 AM
ex-Nazi eugencists.

*eugenicists

I for one welcome the post-Brexist Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communist selective breeding programme - take that, EUgeniCISts.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on March 13, 2019, 03:15:17 PM
*eugenicists

I for one welcome the post-Brexist Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communist selective breeding programme - take that, EUgeniCISts.

Bit harsh on the Annie Lennox/Phil Collins collab.

Buelligan

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 13, 2019, 03:11:26 PM
They cure POVERTY IN DRUG COMPANY EXECS rite mate? Rite? Am I rite then?

They do though, don't they?

Quote from: chveik on March 13, 2019, 02:35:50 PM
why 'the cunt'? he was a pretty good guy apparently.

We're all cunts darling.  For me, there are cunts I love for all kinds of good and bad reasons (or am related to and feel a sort of part of them is living inside me and I love them for giving me life as well as any admiration I might feel, like Eddie) and there are cunts I despise and then lots of cunts I know nothing of or have no opinion about, do you see, you cunt?

small_world

Having just vaccinated my 12mnth old last week, this is a thing I actually spent time considering.
But I gave myself a shake and realised those anti-vaxxers are nuts and went and got it.
Although I did ask the nurse if the vaccine "gives them autism?", just to see if I could tell from her reaction if she was hiding something, or knew something. She said "no", but added that there'd been an outbreak of measles in our area the last couple of months and a few kids were extremely unwell and it was all because of decreased herd immunity.

Here's a question though.
Some people are anti-vax right? Do those people never have autistic kids?

dallasman

Some people are very anti-vax:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/19/health/anti-vax-harassment-eprise/index.html

Serese Marotta lost her 5-year-old son, Joseph, to the flu in 2009, and is now chief operating officer of Families Fighting Flu, a group that encourages flu awareness and prevention, including vaccination.
In 2017, she posted a video on the eighth anniversary of her son's death to reinforce the importance of getting the flu vaccine.
"SLUT," one person commented. "PHARMA WHORE."
"May you rot in hell for all the damages you do!" a Facebook user wrote on another one of her posts.
She says a Facebook user in Australia sent her a death threat.
"She called me a lot of names I won't repeat and used the go-to conspiracy theories about government and big pharma, and I responded, 'I lost a child,' and questioned where she was coming from, and she continued to attack me," said Marotta, who lives in Syracuse, New York.

Catherine and Greg Hughes, an Australian couple who lost their 1-month old son, Riley, to whooping cough, have also received online abuse. Too young to be vaccinated, Riley relied on herd immunity -- the vaccinations of others -- to protect him. But herd immunity didn't protect him, since the area where the Hughes family lived in Perth has some of the lowest vaccination rates in Australia.
"Riley's death was a very inconvenient truth for anti-vaccine activists," Catherine said. "The nasty messages started 24 hours after he died. They called us baby killers and said we would have the blood of other babies on our hands. We've been told to kill ourselves."
The couple started a vaccination campaign, Light for Riley.
Catherine said they still receive vile comments years after Riley's death.
"[F**k] you, Hughes family," one Facebook user wrote on the Light for Riley page.
"What a [f**king] evil whore you really are," another user wrote to them in a private Facebook message.
Another Facebook user was more succinct.
"Please die," the user wrote in a private message.

This is what the internet does to people. Scary shit.