Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:04:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No vaccine no school

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 12, 2019, 11:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should children have to be vaccinated before they attend school?

Yes
65 (95.6%)
No
3 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Noodle Lizard

I just got a bunch of vaccines today, so there you go.  They're compulsory as part of the medical for permanent residency here, even though I've already been here the best part of seven years, anything I might've had has already seeped well into Old Faithful.  The system is a little odd.  It's weird that they test you for common, pathetic things like gonnorhea and chlamydia, but not HIV.  They make you get a flu shot too, despite that vaccine being entirely seasonal.

I can kind of understand how someone could become anti-vax if they're at all inclined towards conspiracy theory or distrusting the government, which is fair enough.  The tacit enforcement of vaccines does all feel a bit dystopian, even though it's for good reasons.  As of now, my arm just hurts a bit, but there's still plenty of time for me to go all autistic.

greenman

Quote from: Buelligan on March 13, 2019, 10:46:52 AM
Heheh, sorry to by cynical but I wouldn't put anything past some of these cunts.  My feeling is that medicine, health, whatevs, is no place for capitalists.  Once they stick in their dirty little priorities the whole thing is vaccinated against bona fides to the great detriment of the public good.

FWIW (nothing at all but it's mildly interesting and an opportunity to ancestor-brag), I'm descended from The Cunt Edward Jenner.
The real reason for all that research into milk maids is he's the Genghis Khan of the UK?

An article on "Big Pharma" not exactly being pro vaccine, and indeed an argument that if anything the safty standards of vaccines are too high...

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.24.3.622

Buelligan

Yes, humans being what they often are, I think medicine is absolutely no place for capitalism to exist, in any society.  Not if we care about ourselves at all. Just think about the Sacklers if you doubt me.

phantom_power

Quote from: Cuellar on March 13, 2019, 10:46:34 AM
There was that one guy who came on specifically to do that (think it might have been a [banned member] sock or something). The thread went on for a while.

At least that started out as an interesting thought experiment before descending into "I will not respond to any posts that prove me wrong and say the same thing over and over again" tedium. This is a shit show from the start

phantom_power

Quote from: Buelligan on March 13, 2019, 08:24:48 AM
Pull your horns in Shoulders, there's no need to be such an intolerant bully.  "Herd" is an interesting word to choose though.

Not really:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

small_world

So, do anti-vax parents not have autistic kids?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: small_world on March 26, 2019, 08:56:30 PM
So, do anti-vax parents not have autistic kids?

No, some do, which is what causes them to be anti-vax in the first place.  Either they had vaccines themselves which caused their kids to be all spergy, or their kids were forced to have vaccines which caused them to be all spergy.  It couldn't be that they produced an imperfect offspring.  How could that be?

Parents are historically adept at blaming anything and everything else for their child's shortcomings.

imitationleather

Donald Trump is aboard the anti-vax train because Barron has autism, isn't he?

samadriel

IIRC, Trump is one of those 'slow-vaxxers', who encourage people to vaccinate their kids on a slower schedule than recommended.  So not full bullshit, but still somewhat bullshit.  That's about as good as you can get from him!

Mister Six

Quote from: Buelligan on March 13, 2019, 10:46:52 AM
FWIW (nothing at all but it's mildly interesting and an opportunity to ancestor-brag), I'm descended from The Cunt Edward Jenner.

That's a very insensitive phrase to use about a trans woman.