Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:08:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Bill Burr live show [split topic]

Started by Bennett Brauer, February 14, 2019, 02:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennett Brauer

Anyone going to see Burr at the Royal Albert Hall in 3 weeks?  He's taping his next special there so give us a wave.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 14, 2019, 02:52:11 PM
Anyone going to see Burr at the Royal Albert Hall in 3 weeks?  He's taping his next special there so give us a wave.

Wait, he is?! I'm going to that. I'll shout your name out.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 14, 2019, 03:05:39 PM
Wait, he is?! I'm going to that. I'll shout your name out.

He's taping both nights. Some UK-baiting tangents might make the edit!

up_the_hampipe

Last time I saw him he absolutely ripped up the Hammersmith Apollo. I think he called it one of his best shows ever, so he might have a fondness for these Isles.

Bennett Brauer

How did the shows go? He sounded very happy with the two London shows he filmed.

up_the_hampipe

He was excellent. The crowd were really up for it, almost too much at times, some annoying hecklers and cheering on routines to the point where he was even troubled by it, haha! The opening 20 minutes or so might get him #cancelled.

Bennett Brauer

Thanks, can't wait. I'll hazard a guess the risky opening section is something about the prissy censoriousness of millennials/Gen Z.

c

I was there too. The opening 20 minutes were unbelievably shocking. I loved it but, if it all makes it unedited to the special, I can see lots of cabbers being very contemptuous and scolding about it. After last year's disappointing special which wasn't that funny or angry, I thought age and fatherhood had mellowed him. Not a tiny bit of it

And full credit (despite the show being called 50) to him for avoiding any routines about turning 50 or becoming a father.

Agree that the hecklers were an irritant. I was disappointed in my country folk...

c

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 12, 2019, 02:25:29 PM
Thanks, can't wait. I'll hazard a guess the risky opening section is something about the prissy censoriousness of millennials/Gen Z.

It's that and it's WAY more risky stuff too

Bennett Brauer

Crikey.

He said on his podcast that some of his New York audience a couple of weeks ago (pre-UK) were taken aback by some of his material. Some anti-(white)women jokes?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 12, 2019, 02:25:29 PM

It essentially ticks off the check list of what you shouldn't say in the current climate.

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 12, 2019, 02:39:49 PM
Some anti-(white)women jokes?

That was part of it.

c

I don't want to commit any spoiler errors but it's basically a huge broadside against woke/cancel culture, with a focus on woke-era feminism. Great routine about Michelle Obama. In amongst all the very funny fury, though, he does acknowledge the existence and unfairness of white/male privilege and cultural appropriation, but I suspect nuances such as these will be lost in the probably inevitable outrage. 

Bennett Brauer

I sometimes wonder how some of the stuff he says on the podcast would go down if it had a bigger audience - maybe this will put it to the test. I still can't imagine it'll be anything that'll get him taken down though.

NoSleep

Why are you hiding a discussion of Bill Burr's stand up in an F Is For Family thread?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: NoSleep on March 12, 2019, 03:07:24 PM
Why are you hiding a discussion of Bill Burr's stand up in an F Is For Family thread?

My fault for bumping it last month. It was a recent Burr-related thread and I didn't think my post merited another one.

c

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 12, 2019, 03:04:35 PM
I sometimes wonder how some of the stuff he says on the podcast would go down if it had a bigger audience - maybe this will put it to the test. I still can't imagine it'll be anything that'll get him taken down though.

Yes perhaps the only people who could cancel him in any significant sense are Netflix and even then he'd still be selling out the Albert Hall so hardly the end of the world. The CK cancelling was obviously of a different category. He won't be shunned by pretty much all of society but I fear that people will start arguing that he's somehow alt.right and centrist fans will start to become afraid to admit liking him. I hope not

The Lion King

Is the Michelle Obama stuff the same as he has brought up before about her just being the wife of the president so why does she get so much respect? Compared to the wife of a plumber?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: The Lion King on March 12, 2019, 04:39:37 PM
Is the Michelle Obama stuff the same as he has brought up before about her just being the wife of the president so why does she get so much respect? Compared to the wife of a plumber?

It's not the same routine, but it has a similar point. It's about her doing an arena tour.

The Lion King

As a long term fan of Burr it's weird to see him start to drift out of line with what the mainstream deems acceptable without actually changing at all