Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:55:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

H A L O: Master Chief Collection, etc

Started by madhair60, March 13, 2019, 08:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

It's just been announced that Master Chief Collection is adding Halo Reach/coming to Steam, so let's talk about Halo. I've been on a multi-year mission to play through all of them. I did Combat Evolved alone, 2 on co-op and now doing 3 on co-op, via Master Chief Collection. Campaigns, that is.

Combat Evolved was the Anniversary edition and I enjoyed it a lot, though I kept flicking to the classic look because the modern one is garish and loses a lot of the otherwordly feel. I was surprised how well it held up; there are some missions that are very long and repetitive, but oddly enough in a way that draws you into the atmosphere of it all. Also, everyone warned me about The Library, but I thought it was ace! Panic-stricken backpedalling away from oncoming Flood, blowing them to pieces with the shotty. Great change of pace.

Halo 2 Anniversary, eh. I really didn't feel this one much. It wasn't bad but it felt dingy and confusing. It was also really, really hard for me even on Normal.

Halo 3 is amazing so far, huge step up from the first two. Astonishing sense of scale in places.

And I've got ODST, Reach, 4 and 5 to go. Hope they're not SHIT.

madhair60

I always thought they looked crap too. But their good.

Chollis

Lets get hyped for this one lads. Big part of my teenage years these, especially H3.  You can stick your Quakes, Counter Strikes and your Call of Doodies up your bollocks, Halo was the pinnacle of competitive online FPS.

First time playing through? I mainly played it for the online matchmaking, but the story/lore is all pretty fuckin epic in my opinion, though the AI/combat in the campaigns can get a little stale. I remember being blown away by the sheer scale of the environment getting out of that escape pod in Halo 1 way back on the original Xbox.

popcorn

The first Halo is a special game. It had a true sense of the alien and unknowable. Very mysterious.

The sequels have all felt like the same game to me, and remind me of a sports franchise.

Kelvin

Basically ruined shooters for years. Shifted the focus from aggressively pushing forward to constantly taking cover and auto healing. Probably brilliant games themselves, but that is utterly irrelevant to me.

Kelvin

Or was that call of duty? Have I been resenting the wrong series all this time? Halo was the first colussus of a game that I remember doing it.

beanheadmcginty

madhair60

Good for the Mario cunts trying to ruin my thread. Haven't you got a gorilla game to play?

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Kelvin on March 13, 2019, 12:50:48 PM
Basically ruined shooters for years. Shifted the focus from aggressively pushing forward to constantly taking cover and auto healing. Probably brilliant games themselves, but that is utterly irrelevant to me.

I don't remember ever taking cover in Halo. I'd just run at people and hope they're the first ones to have their shields broken.
Halo's great. Fucking amazing scores. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFOJ13sw8o4

Chollis

Quote from: TwinPeaks on March 13, 2019, 03:40:27 PM
I don't remember ever taking cover in Halo. I'd just run at people and hope they're the first ones to have their shields broken.
Halo's great. Fucking amazing scores. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFOJ13sw8o4

Yeah, you'd sometimes get people camping with a shotty in Doubles but that was about it. Aggressive play paid off better in my experience.

Bungie did some incredible scores, I remember letting this one just play if it came on at the Main Menu (special mention for 3:49)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkV7YpM6zxE

Kelvin

Quote from: TwinPeaks on March 13, 2019, 03:40:27 PM

I'm probably wrong. I never played them a huge amount, only with my friends a bit - and I was only really thinking of single player. I just remember the rechargeable shield being something that encouraged you to keep taking cover, rather than push on for health, and I've since heard that attributed to Halo.

Quote from: madhair60 on March 13, 2019, 01:43:35 PM
Good for the Mario cunts trying to ruin my thread. Haven't you got a gorilla game to play?

Yes. Haven't you?

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 13, 2019, 01:38:54 PM
Is Gregg Wallace in this?

Halo 1-3: Loyd Grossman
Halo 3 ODST: Gary Rhodes
Halo 4: Egg Wallace + John Torode

Benevolent Despot

I ploughed a million hours into Combat Evolved when it was originally released. One of my favourite games, followed by 17(?) years of disappointment. It was nice to play it in 4K 60fps on the Collection though. Maybe one of the only games I completed on the hardest difficulty (Legendary), yes even the library. I had the stamina for that at age 15 but probably not now. It was one the hardest things I've ever done.

JamesTC

I have the game for Xbox One but will gladly be getting it for PC. Don't bother with Xbox Gold so I can't play it online but that won't be an issue on PC.

Can't wait to relive the old days of Halo 3 online.

Quote from: Benevolent Despot on March 13, 2019, 07:18:57 PM
I ploughed a million hours into Combat Evolved when it was originally released. One of my favourite games, followed by 17(?) years of disappointment. It was nice to play it in 4K 60fps on the Collection though. Maybe one of the only games I completed on the hardest difficulty (Legendary), yes even the library. I had the stamina for that at age 15 but probably not now. It was one the hardest things I've ever done.

I played through Halo CE and Halo 2 on solo Legendary back in October/November. I never had much trouble with The Library. It was Truth and Reconciliation that I had huge trouble with. I was stuck on one bit for three hours (where you first arrive on this ship and are bombarded with enemies including cloaked elites).

Halo 2 was more punishing on Legendary because of the poorly balanced jackal snipers.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's amazing how shit the comeback Halo 2 was in comparison, a real confused mix of ideas competing with each other and eventually ruining everything. Not to mention stupid moves like removing the pistol and replacing it with a complete piece of shit.

They really should have used the Save Earth storyline for Halo 2 and the Arbiter one for Halo 3. Instead you jump about both, totally losing the impetus and stake in proceedings.

Halo 3 shifts the enjoyment factor back to "a lot", even if the story is meh, but Halo CE is the consistent, immersive, cinematic masterpiece. Nothing about it is confused, it is a beautifully conceived game from start to finish, and more or less saved Microsoft's arses that first year of Xbox.

Space ghost

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 13, 2019, 05:40:21 PM
Halo 1-3: Loyd Grossman
Halo 3 ODST: Gary Rhodes
Halo 4: Egg Wallace + John Torode

weirdy, incredibly accurate

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Halo 5: Egg Wallace on Strictly Come Dancing

Benevolent Despot

Quote from: JamesTC on March 13, 2019, 08:56:54 PM

I played through Halo CE and Halo 2 on solo Legendary back in October/November. I never had much trouble with The Library. It was Truth and Reconciliation that I had huge trouble with. I was stuck on one bit for three hours (where you first arrive on this ship and are bombarded with enemies including cloaked elites).

Congrats for doing 2 on Legendary, I couldn't even be assed doing it on Heroic. I remember with The Library because of the random nature of enemy spawns I'd keep reaching checkpoints that I couldn't get past, so I had to restart the level a few times. Should've VCR'd it. Oh well.

JamesTC

Quote from: Benevolent Despot on March 14, 2019, 06:48:05 PM
Congrats for doing 2 on Legendary, I couldn't even be assed doing it on Heroic. I remember with The Library because of the random nature of enemy spawns I'd keep reaching checkpoints that I couldn't get past, so I had to restart the level a few times. Should've VCR'd it. Oh well.

Bad checkpoints can happen occasionally, unfortunately.

While playing Halo 2 I got stuck right at the end on the mission Delta Halo. You enter a ravine and jump down into a cramped jungle canyon and are bombarded by enemies. I thought I had picked enough off before jumping down but was then surrounded by all sides and above. An hour trying to get out of it before looking online and finding on solo Legendary it is nigh on impossible without keeping the marines alive to cover you so I had to restart the whole mission.

As I remember it, The Library was only really difficult when the rocket flood arrive or when you are locked into a chamber with flood pouring in.

LanceUppercut

I have only skimmed this thread, so apologies if this has been answered.

Is Halo reach coming to the xbox MCC as well??.

LanceUppercut

Quote from: Space ghost on March 14, 2019, 08:50:52 PM
No.

Cheers pal, what a pisstake the PC master race get a extra game. Shouldn't complain though as it only cost me a  tenner.

JamesTC

Halo Reach IS coming to the Xbox One MCC.

PC get it first as a single game. Xbox One gets it a little later in two parts with the campaign/firefight as a DLC and the multiplayer as a free update for all MCC owners.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThe Library was only really difficult when the rocket flood arrive or when you are locked into a chamber with flood pouring in.

The most uninspired level and yet the most tense until the Warthog Run. Nice switch from quasi-political war against totalitarian forces to just straight out survival horror against gloop monsters.

LanceUppercut

Quote from: JamesTC on March 14, 2019, 09:22:49 PM
Halo Reach IS coming to the Xbox One MCC.

PC get it first as a single game. Xbox One gets it a little later in two parts with the campaign/firefight as a DLC and the multiplayer as a free update for all MCC owners.

Cheers James

Thursday

Should probably picks this up on Steam, since I mainly play Destiny now, but never played a Halo game due to lack of Xbox ownership.

Bazooka

I never played Halo past 1 and 2, not a protest against Bungie, just only ever had the original xBOSS. I remember taking the Xbox over to a mates the day after, and another day after it had been released and playing it, seeing ships drop pathetic enemies (but excellent AI) firing plasma, good times.

Plasma grenades, and in 2 the plasma sword, fuck makes me want to play right now, again never played after 2. I also completed both on Legendary, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience despite the flood, Needler.

Zetetic

Sort of astonishing that Halo 1 was as good as it was, given that its development seems to have been all over the shop in every way for the first few years both in terms of mechanics and setting.

madhair60

Finished Halo 3 on Saturday, thought it was absolutely awesome. The final setpiece is astonishing even now.