Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:37:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

H A L O: Master Chief Collection, etc

Started by madhair60, March 13, 2019, 08:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: madhair60 on March 18, 2019, 09:09:16 AM
Finished Halo 3 on Saturday, thought it was absolutely awesome. The final setpiece is astonishing even now.

They brought the fun back. Still think it's a bit too messy to have a really effective sense of tension but the game definitely compares how Halo and Halo 2 went and rightly decided "right. More Halo, less Halo 2".

JamesTC

They have announced a few more details about the PC version.

The disappointing thing is that there will be no option to buy all of the games in a bundle until they are all out.

You need an Xbox Live account but you do not need Gold in order to play online. You'll open up through Steam and connect to your Xbox Live account.

Halo CE is being worked on in tandem with Reach in order for it to follow on quite quickly but this indicates that Halo 2, 3, ODST and 4 are not currently being worked on so will be a while.

There will be an early access Beta in the next few months (could be sooner) which you can sign up for. They are looking for a variation in computer configurations to test the game on as wide a range of systems as possible.

Progress will carry over from the Xbox One version of the Master Chief Collection. This includes achievements. Progress from the 360 will not.

JamesTC

8-month bump as this finally has a release date. 3rd December.

It doesn't ship with Forge or Theater mode as they will come in 2020.

Quote from: JamesTC on March 20, 2019, 09:33:47 PM

The disappointing thing is that there will be no option to buy all of the games in a bundle until they are all out.

Turns out this isn't the case. It is available for £29.99 as a bundle or £6.99 for each individual game on Steam.

popcorn

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 18, 2019, 01:29:26 PM
They brought the fun back. Still think it's a bit too messy to have a really effective sense of tension but the game definitely compares how Halo and Halo 2 went and rightly decided "right. More Halo, less Halo 2".

Without exaggeration, the only things I remember about Halo 3 are:

- the Flood level is even more unrelenting and hellish than the one in Halo 1, and also fucking ugly, to the point that it feels like a fever dream - the original Halo flood level was ghastly but had a kind of cleansing emotional payoff, whereas the one in Halo 3 makes me feel nothing but carsick to recall it

- the faces were unbelievably shit

madhair60

Really? The verticality? The collapsing ship at the end? The Gravemind? The Scarabs?

Fucking loved Halo 3 especially coming off 2, which did my nut in.

popcorn

Quote from: madhair60 on November 14, 2019, 11:48:39 PM
Really? The verticality? The collapsing ship at the end? The Gravemind? The Scarabs?

Fucking loved Halo 3 especially coming off 2, which did my nut in.

Gravemind rings a bell - some sort of big squid in a thing?

madhair60

It's probably the Flood level you're slagging off haha. Lots of tunnels and visual distortion.

fwiw I really loved The Library in Halo CE, after being warned about it for 20 years or so. A really fun change of pace with the shottie, it's almost like Smash TV.

popcorn

I played Halo at launch and the Flood was a really effective twist - I felt a sense of dread going into that level I haven't had in many other games, because the horror element was so unexpected after all the years of scifi hype. I do recall finding the actual level frustrating and overlong, but I also recall how glad I was to see the Covenant again for the first time after finishing it. It really was quite an interesting effect, like getting out of the sauna and the swimming pool suddenly feeling all cool and refreshing.

Chollis

Defo buying this, been too long since I noscoped someone off an elevator. Haven't played Halo on a mouse and keyboard since H2 was online like 50 years ago.

So £7 will buy me Reach on Steam on Dec 3rd? Seems pretty cheap?

Pink Gregory

I genuinely think I fell asleep playing ODST.

JamesTC

Quote from: Chollis on November 15, 2019, 12:06:08 PM
Defo buying this, been too long since I noscoped someone off an elevator. Haven't played Halo on a mouse and keyboard since H2 was online like 50 years ago.

So £7 will buy me Reach on Steam on Dec 3rd? Seems pretty cheap?

Each game is £6.99 aside from ODST which I think will be £4.99 on Steam. Or you can spalsh out £29.99 for the whole whack. I was only going to hold off on Halo 4 which I would have gotten when it went on sale so getting the whole set straight away is the best option for me.

Being able to play all the multiplayers without arsing around with Xbox Live Gold which costs more than the bloody game will be good. Then seeing how the PC community rip apart Halo 3 with mods will be lovely.

Famous Mortimer

I never played any of them apart from a few multiplayer sessions on...one of the games...so it was cool when that Master Chief collection came to GamePass. Then I played it for half an hour before some wanker robbed my house and stole my XBox. Soon I may even play it again.

Chollis

Quote from: JamesTC on November 15, 2019, 03:08:19 PM
Each game is £6.99 aside from ODST which I think will be £4.99 on Steam. Or you can spalsh out £29.99 for the whole whack. I was only going to hold off on Halo 4 which I would have gotten when it went on sale so getting the whole set straight away is the best option for me.

Being able to play all the multiplayers without arsing around with Xbox Live Gold which costs more than the bloody game will be good. Then seeing how the PC community rip apart Halo 3 with mods will be lovely.

Ah right that makes sense. Is there any sort of timeline for the release of the other titles? Can't seem to find anything online.

JamesTC

Quote from: Chollis on November 15, 2019, 04:44:53 PM
Ah right that makes sense. Is there any sort of timeline for the release of the other titles? Can't seem to find anything online.

The chronological order for the games is: Reach, CE, 2, ODST, 3, 4.

I believe they are releasing ODST on PC after Halo 3 but that is because ODST was an expanded DLC for Halo 3 which is just a side story for the series.

The games are all due to be out through 2020. They should come out faster now that they've resolved the issues with Reach.