Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:53:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How has Brexit affected you personally?

Started by Blinder Data, March 13, 2019, 12:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Any relationship breakdowns? Are things busier/more complicated at work? Crapping yourself over your children's future?

We had an uncle, aunt and cousin who went full Brexit and following various Facebook arguments, I would say that that was an important though not the only factor in their steady withdrawal from wider family life.

My job deals directly with European funds so things will look very different post-Brexit. And I've been roped into assisting in sexy secret contingency plans if there's a No Deal. So Brexit might mean I have to get up before 7am and leave the office after 9pm for no extra money, and I am definitely taking that personally.

The people I feel most sorry for are the EU citizens who feel like they've woken up foreign in a country they always thought was home, and don't know what their future holds. And the small business owners having to deal with terrible levels of uncertainty.

How about you?

BlodwynPig

I get paid by the EU but ive been told you will all pick up the tab if we leave, so thanks.

Alberon

Had discussions, not arguments, with a couple of people who voted leave but regret it now.

But since Brexit hasn't actually happened yet (this seemingly eternal shitstorm is just the prelude) I haven't otherwise been affected yet.

purlieu

Less respect for my mum who is still annoyed that we didn't leave the day after the referendum (???).
After a long period of illness-related unemployment I started looking for work this year, which reminds me of the time I moved to a new city in the summer of 2009 just as the recession hit.

thenoise

My parents seemed to have lurched full into hard Tory mode after being riled up by the Brexit campaign.  My Dad even started praising Thatcher the other day for no reason (he went on marches against her in the 70s/80s and her name was a swear word in our house growing up).  Pre referendum they were a bit New Labour but basically on the side of good.  I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to discuss politics with them again.

bgmnts

Thankfully no. I was slightly worried about my flight to Budapest and still worry now when I get back home. What will happen to border patrol and customs etc?

Theremin

Personal - My partner lives in Holland, where I would love to join her. The removal of Freedom Of Movement (and the failure to replace it with anything else concrete) has effectively thrown our futures into the air for the foreseeable future. I'm hoping that the additional barriers of the UK being a 3rd country won't make things so difficult that moving becomes impossible. Obviously, having next to no information about all this is very unpleasant.

It's also a nasty echo of my previous long term relationship, which was an engagement to an American lass. That ended up being scuppered due to financial changes to UK immigration law, drafted by - Theresa May!

Honestly, between this and my experiences on Universal Credit - I'm getting well nudged towards Lee Harvey Oswald territory.

Professional - I run a small Bar business in Bristol. We can pay for ourselves, but margins are fairly thin. Any big economic downturn has the possibility to affect us quite badly - as booze and music are some of the first things people stop spending money on in hard time.

Icehaven

Days after the referendum, after having the worst argument I've had with my (pro-Leave) Mum in years which culminated in her getting upset when I said I was now seriously considering moving back to Australia (I absolutely wasn't) I realised there was no way I was going to get into anything like that again and haven't really discussed it much at all since. I'm interested in politics but ultimately what difference does my wasting hours on pointless hundred page arguments on the internet or uncomfortable Sunday dinners with my family make? Mother and Mr. Haven both still enjoy having a little gloat at me when we're all together but I don't bite anymore, it's just not worth it for me. Besides they're all furious enough about what a mess it's turned into anyway so there's no need for me to say a word.

This was touched on the other day in the Question Time thread but the strength of feeling that seems to abound about it too also seems to have massively affected a lot of online and real life discourse and made it generally more combative and black-and-white. It just feels like everyone's spoiling for a fight all the time now, and then there's the added tendency of some people to drag an actual mention of B****t into a discussion about virtually anything just so they can get their thoughts on it across and get things fired up. There's loads of jokes about golden shoehorns etc. on BTL comments but it really is that bad. The old cliché about opinions being like arseholes has never been more pertinent, but now it seems everyone feels their every arsehole is worth airing to the world all the time, so unsurprisingly everything now stinks.

SteveDave

I took a screenshot of my uncle's Facebook post about his Brexit views and captioned it with "The fucking state of this" and now I've not been invited to my cousins wedding. I wouldn't have gone anyway. I would've said I can't afford to in these Brexit times.

It seems my whole family voted Leave. We've stopped talking, or trying to talk, about it to avoid any unpleasantness as they buy my son a lot of clothes.

My dad said he voted Leave "to get rid of David Cameron". I have no idea how he got to that conclusion but then...he does am dram.

Flouncer

Quote from: Theremin on March 13, 2019, 12:47:33 PM
Personal - My partner lives in Holland, where I would love to join her. The removal of Freedom Of Movement (and the failure to replace it with anything else concrete) has effectively thrown our futures into the air for the foreseeable future. I'm hoping that the additional barriers of the UK being a 3rd country won't make things so difficult that moving becomes impossible. Obviously, having next to no information about all this is very unpleasant.

It's also a nasty echo of my previous long term relationship, which was an engagement to an American lass. That ended up being scuppered due to financial changes to UK immigration law, drafted by - Theresa May!

Honestly, between this and my experiences on Universal Credit - I'm getting well nudged towards Lee Harvey Oswald territory.

Professional - I run a small Bar business in Bristol. We can pay for ourselves, but margins are fairly thin. Any big economic downturn has the possibility to affect us quite badly - as booze and music are some of the first things people stop spending money on in hard time.

I'm sure Biggy will soon be along to dismiss your actual experiences as middle class whingeing and assure you that you actually have nothing at all to feel aggrieved about.

Sin Agog

Half my family smegged off to Lithuania because of it.

Theremin

Quote from: Flouncer on March 13, 2019, 01:22:02 PM
I'm sure Biggy will soon be along to dismiss your actual experiences as middle class whingeing and assure you that you actually have nothing at all to feel aggrieved about.

Ha! I'd genuinely love to be as convinced of that as he is - it would take a lot of stress off.

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 13, 2019, 01:27:29 PM
Half my family smegged off to Lithuania because of it.

Had they lived there previously?

Small Man Big Horse

Being Danish Mrs SMBH has had a lot of worries over being kicked out of the country, but I've tried to assure her that it's very unlikely to happen. And if it is does I'll adopt her, or something. I did suggest marriage but she claims she only wants to do that if we fly to Vegas and have a drive through Elvis ceremony, which neither of us can afford right now.

Work wise I'm very stable as people still want to learn English thankfully, and if it does go to shit I guess we could just move to another country and I'd continue teaching online, though I'd be reluctant to do that unless there was no other choice.

Cuellar

Quote from: SteveDave on March 13, 2019, 01:19:44 PM
My dad said he voted Leave "to get rid of David Cameron". I have no idea how he got to that conclusion but then...he does am dram.

It sort of worked, to be fair to him.

Pancake

Tesco Express near me only does mince in 250g packs now and it's FOUR QUID

canadagoose

So far, it's not affected me much personally, apart from intensely irritating me, because the whole thing is so ridiculous. In terms of my relatives, the only ones who voted Leave were the ones that live in England and are richer than most of us, and I've managed to avoid arguing with them about it (thank God). I don't think I know any actual Leave voters in real life either.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Theremin on March 13, 2019, 01:31:04 PM
Ha! I'd genuinely love to be as convinced of that as he is - it would take a lot of stress off.

Had they lived there previously?

No.  My dad runs a juggling company and didn't want to scupper European trade.  Lithuania's a cheap place in the E.U. to run a warehouse, and it gets freight trains from China, so..

My dad's also autistic, and, on the first day after moving there, when an old Lithuanian man was talking about his experiences being put in a gulag under Stalin, my dad likened it to being forced to pay Amazon a percentage of all his sales on their website. :D

Theremin

That's brilliant. I now want to move to Lithuania to run a juggling company.

Cloud

Less respect for some (except in cases where they're just a bit dim when it comes to this kind of thing to start with)

"Lost" a friend who moved back to Europe due to not trusting Tory 'guarantees' about right to stay, and can't blame him (we're still friends online, but still)

Utilised a lot of brain cycles on the subject and taken way more of an interest in politics than I wanted to

The rise of ring wing nuttery and general hate stuff in the west in 2016 (i.e. Trump as well) made me change my mind about possibly coming out as bisexual except to a couple of close trusted mates and internet forums

Other than that, not much... YET.

My relationship with my parents is pretty strained these days.  A few weeks before the referendum, my mum was indignant that I, a British citizen living in Spain, had already voted by post.  She kept saying how wrong it was that "people like me" should get to vote when we didn't live in the UK and hence should have no right to decide what happens to it.  I was flabbergasted, as much for the Daily Mail opinion as for the absolute lack of family solidarity, given that her grandchildren and daughter-in-law are Spanish.  We still talk at a very superficial level, but the damage has been done, the respect has been lost, and I've become an expert at swerving the conversation when it comes anywhere close to one of these topics.  Of course, politics in general is out, too - they're Tories.  I mean, what else would they be?  It must be very tough for them as retired middle-class homeowners in a leafy bit of Surrey surrounded by 100% white English people.

Obviously, living and working in Spain, I've been on edge for the last two years, while waiting to see what the hell's going to happen.  Finally got some temporary reassurance from the Spanish government (though contingent as it is on that good ol' chestnut, British reciprocity), but I'll be Spanish in a few years anyway, so hopefully that'll be the last of it.  Have to admit, I'm currently quite enjoying this absolute shitshow of a government falling to pieces.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: thenoise on March 13, 2019, 12:34:22 PM
My parents seemed to have lurched full into hard Tory mode after being riled up by the Brexit campaign.  My Dad even started praising Thatcher the other day for no reason (he went on marches against her in the 70s/80s and her name was a swear word in our house growing up).  Pre referendum they were a bit New Labour but basically on the side of good.  I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to discuss politics with them again.

My dad's gone a bit like this. He hasn't gone Tory, as far as I can tell he votes Labour no matter what, and still will next time despite having no time for Jeremy Corbyn... but he's a text-book example of the old white working class man who has bought into the emotional, nostalgic British exceptionalism arguments behind Brexit hook-line-and-sinker. I think he saw it as a vote against the modern age as much as anything else, like it would bring back his idealised childhood in the 1950s and its made talking to him a pain in the arse.

When he retired his sole source of information about the wider world reduced to the Daily Mail and I think he's been radicalised. He developed a bee in his bonnet about "political correctness" and subjects such as the supposed left-wing bias of the BBC which he had previously never expressed an opinion on. I'm just relieved he's too much of a technophobe to be on Facebook or Twitter; my uncle's on both and he's gone well off at the deep-end; sharing memes of full on Tommy Robinson shit that my dad, thankfully, still recognises as lunatic... although only just.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on March 13, 2019, 02:08:38 PM
When he retired his sole source of information about the wider world reduced to the Daily Mail and I think he's been radicalised

Yes, this is exactly the right word for it.  My mum has absorbed the Daily Mail for decades unquestioningly, and I really feel like she's changed as a result.  It's such a foul rag and a lot of the UK's problems can probably be directly attributed to it.

holyzombiejesus

My mum and step-dad are Labour voting remainers but seem to be blaming the whole of Brexit on Jeremy Corbyn and, whilst they don't use twitter or any other social media, they seem to be falling in to step with the #FBPE lot. In fact the main way in which Brexit has affected me so far is the realisation that so many of my supposedly left-leaning remainer friends and colleagues are angrier with the Labour Party than they are with the tories who brought all this about, to the extent that I dislike and avoid conversations with that lot far more than the more up-front leavers that I work with.

kittens

edit maybe that's a secret dunno don't wanna get fired

shiftwork2

It's been hard work.  Several of your long-standing radiopharmaceuticals have been dropped as the drug companies cannot be done with the import / export ballache.  Brexit not totally to blame (similar to the auto industry) but definitely a major reason.  The timing of it ffs.  So we've been doing 12 hour days trying to validate what's left and make sure things like chemo dose calculations aren't incorrect.  Therapy isotopes (hello (spam) people!) are all imported and with sufficiently short half-lives to make a day's delay a disaster.  So we've been doing what we can - not very much - and hope that it all magically works out.  No patients are booked for the first week, just can't take the risk.  In summary - it's balls and I'll be amazed if patient treatment isn't affected.

gilbertharding

So far all it's done is make me very angry and fearful of the complete idiots who want it to happen. Every time someone says "you can't just say they're all thick racists - because that's half the reason it's happening," someone will come on the media and voice something thick and/or racist on the subject.

Luckily (for the sake of polite discourse) the whole thing is an absolute shitfest - so when someone you meet says 'it's terrible this Brexit', you can sincerely agree with them without either of you revealing what you are actually hoping for.

gilbertharding

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 13, 2019, 02:17:38 PM
My mum and step-dad are Labour voting remainers but seem to be blaming the whole of Brexit on Jeremy Corbyn and, whilst they don't use twitter or any other social media, they seem to be falling in to step with the #FBPE lot. In fact the main way in which Brexit has affected me so far is the realisation that so many of my supposedly left-leaning remainer friends and colleagues are angrier with the Labour Party than they are with the tories who brought all this about, to the extent that I dislike and avoid conversations with that lot far more than the more up-front leavers that I work with.

Oh yes - this. The fucking state of #FBPE.

ToneLa

I'm over the worst of the social element.

Having friends who are on both sides was fuckin woeful, and made a mockery of just why, exactly, you get together with your friends anyway. Every fuckin meeting becoming a political contest.

And I'm pretty heart on sleeve, fucked up as it may be sometimes, but I just kept pointing at: the government. Those who deliver it.

And a couple years on, my view is shared. I just wish something like "shared cynicism about politics and political promises" had a more interesting feeling than just silence. But what can you do with it? What I do now I suppose.

Bash the government, probably grandstand and call the powers that be abject bastards over a few pints, and basically just pay token visits to that common ground.

The fact I'm looking for work that isn't there in an impoverished part of the North isn't quite something I'd lay at the door of Brexit. But it surely isn't helping

I don't think the shit has hit the fan yet. Just the odd turd