Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:06:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How has Brexit affected you personally?

Started by Blinder Data, March 13, 2019, 12:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Had to take nearly £2k out of the house fund to get my Latvian partner's UK citizenship as we don't trust the settled status system to either guarantee her right to stay long-term nor to be helpful when applying for a mortgage next year.

We're otherwise alright though for now.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

My sister, who lives abroad, lost her job because of all the stock market wobbles it caused.

Zetetic

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 13, 2019, 02:17:38 PM
the realisation that so many of my supposedly left-leaning remainer friends and colleagues are angrier with the Labour Party than they are with the tories who brought all this about

I don't think this is surprising. It feels pointless being angry at people who despise you and don't much pretend otherwise. If you feel that the Labour Party is supposed to represent people and people like you, it's obviously much more frustrating when feels like it isn't doing so.

Zetetic

José

the fae folk at the bottom of the garden have started whispering "tiocfaidh ár lá" at ever increasing volume and sometimes my face starts itching and i notice i'm wearing a balaclava.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Well, It's made me a lot more well off personally, due to the nature of my employment, so you can all fuck off : -D
( Ideally, I should be able to temporarily  change my username to biggytitbo for this post to really work. )

garbed_attic

it seems so fucking stupid when we desperately need to be focusing on climate change

Dex Sawash

touchingcloth

Personal: my partner's job prospects have turned to shit here, and we don't fancy the idea of staying in Manchester forever, especially if there aren't jobs keeping us here. We own a house, so we're in the process of selling that quite a lot earlier than would be ideal mainly because we don't want the economy to tank, putting us in negative equity and meaning we'd be trapped without the ability to move on for, if the last economic crisis was and is anything to go by, a decade or more.

Sale or no sale we're moving to Portugal at the end of the month, sailing on the 27th and arriving in the squeak of time before anything actually changes freedom of movement-wise, which is more insane than I have managed to wrap my brain around so far. Next month, I won't have a home in the UK any more. Did I half imagine that in May 2016? I've always been the type of person who said they'd like to move abroad one day, but until about October last year I'd never made preparations for it.

Tl;dr: I'm leaving the country, possibly for good, as a direct result of Brexit.

Professional: I don't have a job lined up in Portugal, and neither does my partner. I'm planning to take my current job with me as a remote worker, but that's pretty heavily contingent on there being a status quo transition period. If there isn't, then, well, fuck knows, really. Sucking dicks for pennies in Lisbon, and heavily depreciated pennies at that.

In addition to all of the above, I had a diagnosis of MS last year. Fuck knows how that little condition will play itself out long term or what my access to healthcare will be like.

In summary: quite the fan of Brexit, me.

Pseudopath

It's made me finally twig quite how much of a multifaceted shithole this country actually is whilst simultaneously realising how shit the Irish Passport Office is at processing new citizenship claims*.

* Come on you lazy bastards.

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 13, 2019, 10:47:26 PM
Personal: my partner's job prospects have turned to shit here, and we don't fancy the idea of staying in Manchester forever, especially if there aren't jobs keeping us here.

Just out of interest, why don't you fancy staying in Manchester?  Due to it being a bit dodgy?

NoSleep

I had to block a certain user of this forum.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on March 13, 2019, 10:59:55 PM
Just out of interest, why don't you fancy staying in Manchester?  Due to it being a bit dodgy?

I love Manchester. It's been my home town longer than any other (secondary school and university here, before moving away and coming back in 2016), but we're homebodies really and our lifestyle could be transplanted anywhere as we enjoy evenings in and walking the dog more than going into town of an evening. Given that, the climate is 9 months or depressing shite where we don't go out with the mutt as much as we should around our jobs, so it's less that we dislike it here, more that we can't see ourselves here forever. Brexit has really just expedited our exit. Brexpidited our Brexit, more like!

ah I see.  Well all the best for your move abroad.  I'm sure you'll enjoy the sunshine.

ToneLa

Keep reading this as How has Brexit affected your personality

Oosh now that's a thread!

Danger Man

Quote from: ToneLa on March 13, 2019, 11:31:39 PM
Keep reading this as How has Brexit affected your personality

Made my cock double in size (4 inches)

Beagle 2

Will most probably lose my job but if and when and how is as up in the air as the main event itself. They're also trying to rope me into being part of the CRISIS TEAM but I really can't be arsed. Sick of senior members of staff asking me what I'm doing about it. I work for the government, I'm waiting for ye cunts to tell me what to do about it.

I have become completely apathetic about the entire news about everything and actively avoid it.

ToneLa

Quote from: Danger Man on March 13, 2019, 11:35:57 PM
Made my cock double in size (4 inches)

Woah that's thick!

Shame about the length unchanging though!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 13, 2019, 11:56:07 PM
I have become completely apathetic about the entire news about everything and actively avoid it.

Same here. Unprecedented insanity. Look at them talking about May's "deal" today and recently, when really they're talking about a transition period on the road to a deal.

Grave, please. All of parliament hop in grave.

What I used to consider harmless ignorance, I now consider a blank sinister monolith of prejudice.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteSucking dicks for pennies in Lisbon, and heavily depreciated pennies at that.
It's easy, mmmkaaayyy

Buelligan

I've already mentioned how it's affected me.  I've built my whole life from, almost literally, the ground up in France.  I have nothing at all to return to in Britain.  I can't really put into words how depressing that feels.  I've worked so hard, given everything, everything, to get this little place of safety for myself and now it feels entirely possible that that's going to be taken away - and also almost certain that all the rights I've worked so hard to gain may be lost.  If it goes tits up, there is no future for me so I try not to think about it.

madhair60

Buelligan, if it all goes to shit you can absolutely sleep on my sofa rent-free, in exchange for some rustic survival tips and maybe a knockout omelette once in a blue moon. You wouldn't even have to speak to me, it'd be great. Crushingly depressing, yes, but maybe sometimes I would lose my balance and fall down. That would be funny, as I am a fat man.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Zetetic on March 13, 2019, 05:41:08 PM
A previous thread for reference:
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=71854.0

Whoops, must have skipped that one - probably because it seemed from the title like just another Brexit thread. I was after personal stories rather than the Brexit good/bad debate. A wonderful lack of biggy's bollocks.

studpuppet's story was pretty moving. I hope touchingcloth's move works out well and Buelligan's idyll is not brought crashing down to the dusty Brexit earth.

It's all such a fucking palaver. Obviously the UK will be worse off but I struggle with the idea of reversing it completely, considering not enough people appear to have changed their mind and many just want to get it over and done with.

Sorry, that was too political! Please continue sharing your stories

Buelligan

Quote from: madhair60 on March 14, 2019, 11:06:24 AM
Buelligan, if it all goes to shit you can absolutely sleep on my sofa rent-free, in exchange for some rustic survival tips and maybe a knockout omelette once in a blue moon. You wouldn't even have to speak to me, it'd be great. Crushingly depressing, yes, but maybe sometimes I would lose my balance and fall down. That would be funny, as I am a fat man.

Thanks mads, you're an egg.  I may well seek succour at some point as I intend to become a terrorist.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Buelligan on March 14, 2019, 11:51:10 AM
Thanks mads, you're an egg.

Just don't go putting him in one of your famous omelettes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!odin

This is easily one of the most pathetic posts I've ever made.

Theremin

Quote from: Buelligan on March 14, 2019, 11:51:10 AM
Thanks mads, you're an egg.  I may well seek succour at some point as I intend to become a terrorist.

I'm in and am now accepting suggestions for the Cab terrorist cell name.

"Sons of Gervais"

Paul Calf

Not much compared to others, who are having their lives ripped apart, but two of my oldest friends face the choice of staying in a declining post-imperial shit pit and paying thousands to allow their partners to stay with them or fucking off to (in one case) the other side of the world and starting again.

Buelligan

Quote from: Theremin on March 14, 2019, 12:21:02 PM
I'm in and am now accepting suggestions for the Cab terrorist cell name.

"Sons of Gervais"

Bit sexist.