Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:43:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Finishing: '19 - footballfootballfootballfootballfootb

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 13, 2019, 10:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

From the handful of Wigan games I saw, he seemed to dominate entire games from full back. That's not something I can remember seeing too often in the past - the only two examples I can think of are Bale when he was at Southampton in the Championship, and Cafu during...well, his entire career really. So there you have it - Reece James is as good as Bale and Cafu, definitely.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 14, 2019, 03:20:12 PM
Trevoh Chalobah

He came on loan to Ipswich as a centre back with 0 senior appearances. We immediately started him in central midfield where he was probably our best player this year. Albeit in the worst side in our history, but that wasn't his fault. In a few years he'll be an excellent top flight player.

Utter Shit

Good to see first-hand reports, I knew the Derby lads and James had had good seasons but the rest of them I was only going by things I'd read. Chalobah was a very highly rated centre back so it's interesting that he's done so well in a different position. Same with Tomori actually - AFAIK he's tended to play right back for Derby and the same at Brighton a couple of years ago, but he's always played centre back throughout his academy career.

It's also very promising for England that all these young centre backs are coming through at the younger age groups, a position we're somewhat struggling with at senior level - I only really rate Stones and Gomez of the current group, so it would be really handy if we start seeing a good group coming through.

The Culture Bunker

Man United's Axel Tuanzebe was at Villa on loan this season and from what I've heard, played pretty well. I'd give him a chance at CB for United ahead of Phil and Chris Chuckle.

finnquark

Red Nev the Union Leader is continuing his very public therapy with a half hour chat with Patrice Evra. Honestly it's tragic.

Edited to add a link to the risible mess - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtXMmOUdejk

BlodwynPig

Rolf Lundgren

Chelsea are going to be really annoying next year because their 300 reserve and youth team players will all turn out to be a bunch of Messi's.

Ferris

imitationleather

Apologies to Ferris, but I don't think I want either of these teams promoted.

Squink

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 14, 2019, 08:44:54 PMDesolation

No away goals rule though. That's how we like it in the Championship. Tough as fuck. None of this drawing your way through to the later rounds of things. Real men. Real goals. It's the only way.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 14, 2019, 03:20:12 PM
By all accounts that isn't especially unlikely. It's obviously a bigger risk than just spending the usual fortunes on established names, but aside from the obvious ones like Hudson-Odoi, Abraham, Mount and Ampadu, I've heard a lot of good things about the likes of Reece James, Ola Aina, Trevoh Chalobah, Fiyako Tomori, Jake Clarke-Salter, Billy Gilmour, and Jay Dasilva. With the exception of Gilmour they're all towards the older end of the academy age groups, so there are probably a load more talented youngsters as well. James, Tomori and Clarke-Salter in particular are supposed to be unreal.

Has his contract been sorted?

DrGreggles

36 years ago today:

Still the highest speed ever reached by a man running in slip-on shoes.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 14, 2019, 08:44:54 PM
Desolation

Oof. John Terry in as manager.

Edit: no away goals rule, still in this, against 10 men. Terry putting on the colours again...

finnquark

Talksport are apologising for the delayed start to the sports bar with cundy and goldstein, with no sense of irony.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Bennett Brauer

Possession 27% v 73%, really?

Frank Skinner, Adrian Chiles, Lenny Henry, your boys etc

Ferris

EOLAN

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 14, 2019, 03:36:16 PM
From the handful of Wigan games I saw, he seemed to dominate entire games from full back. That's not something I can remember seeing too often in the past - the only two examples I can think of are Bale when he was at Southampton in the Championship, and Cafu during...well, his entire career really. So there you have it - Reece James is as good as Bale and Cafu, definitely.

Didnt Bale lose like the first five or six matches he played for Spurs at full back. Congrats to Ferriswheelbueller and I sincerely mean it when I say worst of the luck in the final.

Normal time was hopeful it would go to extra time. For extra time with a man down was hopeful it would go to penalties. For penalties I knew we had probably our first six to seven first choice penalty takers unavailable. So to bring it down to the last regulation penalty with the keeper getting a not decent enough leg behind it was better than I thought West Brom would do.

Rather restrained language by ferriswheel compared to what I was shouting in north Dublin seaside pubs. If i hit up Toronto again may try a begrudging CAB meet-up.
Now enough of this love hate fest.

DrGreggles

Quote from: EOLAN on May 15, 2019, 12:28:21 AM
Didnt Bale lose like the first five or six matches he played for Spurs at full back.

Wasn't the number of games he played for Spurs before winning in the teens?

EOLAN

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 15, 2019, 12:38:21 AM

Probably  i too drunk to be precise so was being conservative.

Ferris

Quote from: EOLAN on May 15, 2019, 12:28:21 AM
Normal time was hopeful it would go to extra time. For extra time with a man down was hopeful it would go to penalties. For penalties I knew we had probably our first six to seven first choice penalty takers unavailable. So to bring it down to the last regulation penalty with the keeper getting a not decent enough leg behind it was better than I thought West Brom would do.

Rather restrained language by ferriswheel compared to what I was shouting in north Dublin seaside pubs. If i hit up Toronto again may try a begrudging CAB meet-up.
Now enough of this love hate fest.

Well hold on I've not had chance to reply like a smug cunt yet. I'd say it was far closer than I would have liked, and we should have made the man advantage count way fucking sooner. We're still not playing well so I reckon we will be toast in the final regardless of the opposition.

Never let go of your misery, that's my advice.

If you're in Toronto, you'd probably go to some absolute kip like PJ's so you'd probably need a bit of guidance. Would be happy to provide if you ever make it over.

All the best for next season, and give my regards to Luton Town.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 14, 2019, 03:36:16 PM

Not been paying attention to Robertson and Alexander-Arnold lately then?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 15, 2019, 12:38:21 AM
Spurs didn't win the first 24 PL games he played in. Pretty sure there was talk of him being binned off to somewhere like Stoke before his fortunes changed.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 15, 2019, 06:18:19 AM
Spurs didn't win the first 24 PL games he played in. Pretty sure there was talk of him being binned off to somewhere like Stoke before his fortunes changed.

Nearly sold to Forest by 'Arry allegedly and only got back in the team as Benoît Assou-Ekotto went off to play in the African Nations.