Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:39:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Finishing: '19 - footballfootballfootballfootballfootb

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 13, 2019, 10:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennett Brauer

Coleman's coming home.

I want a photo of the banner that said "Coleman, your mum wants you home for dinner".  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48248039

Utter Shit

Quote from: MidnightShambler on May 15, 2019, 03:22:13 AM
Not been paying attention to Robertson and Alexander-Arnold lately then?

They don't dominate games. They're both excellent players, particularly Robertson, but their game is about getting forward quickly and whipping balls in. What I'm talking about with Bale at Southampton is he really controlled the game, like you'd expect a top centre mid to. He was their creative midfielder, their attacking threat, everything all rolled into one. Cafu used to do the same thing for Brazil at times, and I think Dani Alves at Sevilla was similar from what I remember.

It's not a criticism of the two Liverpool full backs, they just play a different kind of role. I mean the fact that you mention both of them kind of proves the point - there are two of them, so by definition they can't both be running the game themselves. And particularly not when you've got Salah, Mane and the rest on the pitch.

Bale has had such a weird career trajectory in retrospect. Insanely talented young Championship left back -> injury-prone, sub-standard Premier League left back -> excellent left winger -> world-class central attacking midfielder -> Galactico inside-right winger. He gradually moved diagonally across the pitch, improving as he went. Presumably he could be the best linesman in history if he fancied moving slightly further right.

bgmnts

I know the graft was put in by Gary Speed but how did Coleman get Wales to the semi finals of the Euros when he managed to oversee Sunderland's relegation to League 1 and can't hack it in China (i'm assuming China isn't as competitive as all the money suggests, yet. Correct me if i'm wrong)?

Also in regards to full backs dominating games; if your main method of going forward is with overlapping full backs, do they not dominate games? Honestly i'd say 95% of our attacks are orchestrated by Robertson or Arnold, probably wrong but feels that way.

BlodwynPig

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on May 15, 2019, 12:09:40 PM
I know the graft was put in by Gary Speed but how did Coleman get Wales to the semi finals of the Euros when he managed to oversee Sunderland's relegation to League 1 and can't hack it in China (i'm assuming China isn't as competitive as all the money suggests, yet. Correct me if i'm wrong)?

Also in regards to full backs dominating games; if your main method of going forward is with overlapping full backs, do they not dominate games? Honestly i'd say 95% of our attacks are orchestrated by Robertson or Arnold, probably wrong but feels that way.

International managing is completely different to club-level.

You don't need to motivate players, no transfers or fees to worry about, they only play once every 6 months and only play about 6 games per tourny. You basically speak to the Sunday Times, book the hotels and sit on the bench looking pleased/perturbed for the cameras.

It's weird that clubs hire these charlatans as if they were successful club managers, when they were the equivalent of football Bez for a patriotic Happy Mondays.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 15, 2019, 12:08:40 PM
They don't dominate games. They're both excellent players, particularly Robertson, but their game is about getting forward quickly and whipping balls in. What I'm talking about with Bale at Southampton is he really controlled the game, like you'd expect a top centre mid to. He was their creative midfielder, their attacking threat, everything all rolled into one. Cafu used to do the same thing for Brazil at times, and I think Dani Alves at Sevilla was similar from what I remember.
Alexander-Arnold has that ability, it's more to do with us having plenty of other attacking outlets that he isn't 'controlling' games. Certainly in terms of touch, range of passing, movement and combination play he's more of a wide midfielder than a classical winger.

JamesTC

Chris Coleman's stint at Sunderland is an outlier. Not really fair to use that job as a representation of his club career.

The Netflix documentary on Sunderland when they went down to League One is an interesting watch. Chris Coleman comes across really well in it. He didn't seem to want the documentary crew around but he tolerated it. It is clear that the club was falling apart at the seams long before Chris Coleman took charge and any manager would have struggled with that club.

Squink

Hope Leeds do it, just to spare us the commentators wanking over Terry vs Lampard in the final.

king_tubby

DrGreggles

To paraphrase Elton Welsby: Game on motherfucker!

king_tubby

thraxx

One of the reasons Bale is such a good attacker is because he used to be a full back. One of the best parts of his game is his ability to drive at defenders and do something that he knows defenders hate. If only Theo Walcott had followed a similar path he might be a bit more effective.

DrGreggles

king_tubby

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 15, 2019, 08:50:42 PM
Elton just doubled down.
Last time I saw him on TV, he looked like he'd been bedding down on a piss-soaked mattress under a bridge.

king_tubby

DrGreggles

"This is some cunting game!"

Thanks for that, Elton.

imitationleather

The Culture Bunker

If one of these two get promoted, they best buy a whole new back line and keeper, as I would imagine they'll end up having three or four smashed past them every week in the PL.

jobotic

Go on Frank Lampard's lot.

I've never said that before in my life.

king_tubby

Ferris

bigfatheart

YES FUCKING YES FUCKING YES FUCKING YES

ah fuck Villa will twat us won't they

DrGreggles

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Work (in Leeds) tomorrow will be fun.

Like an inflated balloon someone's stamped and shat on.

bigfatheart

Ferris

Quote from: bigfatheart on May 15, 2019, 09:50:08 PM
Got a lovely chub-on when the winner went in

Me and all.

Villa now 3/2 favourites to go up. Will still find a way to fuck it up though.

I wonder how frequently 5th and 6th end up in the playoff final? Can't be that common

BlodwynPig

Christ Villa or Derby for 13 points next season

Deso

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 15, 2019, 10:14:22 PM
Me and all.

Villa now 3/2 favourites to go up. Will still find a way to fuck it up though.

I wonder how frequently 5th and 6th end up in the playoff final? Can't be that common

6th and 7th in League two