Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:24:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Finishing: '19 - footballfootballfootballfootballfootb

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 13, 2019, 10:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 14, 2019, 02:25:56 PM
Speak of the devil - HFX Wanderers just replied and asked what tickets I want and when and they'll reserve them for me, no worries. Might try and snag a scarf or something off them.

Just your Forge FC mob letting the side down now

Im fuming. Typical capitalist vacuum factory.

Can you pop across to speak with him directly?

BlodwynPig

Stub hub aint going to give us the VIP seats i was promised

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 14, 2019, 04:37:29 PM
Im fuming. Typical capitalist vacuum factory.

Can you pop across to speak with him directly?

Yer man Rodrigo was a flim-flam merchant. I walked past the office yesterday and the lights were all off. Whole operation is a con-job.

They probably all booze in my local (Betty's on King East) as it's just around the corner from their "office" so I'll keep my ear to the ground and give them beats if I see them in there. If not, I'll just wait for them to reply to my email.

It's a lot of hassle to watch some third-tier football, this.

Morrison Lard

The illustrious managerial career of Scholes at Oldham is over..

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Morrison Lard on March 14, 2019, 05:32:04 PM

we've got them in our next game - I hope they don't appoint before then and get the new manager bounce.

im barry bethel

Quote from: Morrison Lard on March 14, 2019, 05:32:04 PM

Red Nev looks down his nose at Scholes

DrGreggles

Arsenal 2 up!

6 PL teams still in Europe in April?

Lordofthefiles

When will someone acknowledge how mad Unai Emery's face is?
His face is fucking mad.

Weaseltooth Wankrapist
Jacque-Orf Necrophile
Sexsquirt McLongteef
Cumface O'Rielly

Why's he doing that?!

monkfromhavana

Enough of this, I want to hear more about the Canadian League.

As someone who streams USL games on a semi-regular basis, I'm fascinated to see exactly how shit the standard of this league will be. Will the games be streamed live on YouTube like the USL? Is it getting any press in Canada whatsoever? I see one team is playing in a 35,000 capacity stadium, whilst another seems like it's going to be holding it's games in a fenced off section of a municipal park.

The last fully professional, national Canadian league lasted 6 years (1987-93), and there's a lot of familiar faces in this new league, John McGrane who was head coach /coach (taking over from Juventus legend, John Charles) of the Hamilton Steelers is the GM at Forge FC, for example.

Looking through the squads, it does seem that Ameobi is the biggest "star" in the league, maybe alongside Gasparotto who moved from Morton.

Ferris

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 15, 2019, 07:56:08 AM
Enough of this, I want to hear more about the Canadian League.

As someone who streams USL games on a semi-regular basis, I'm fascinated to see exactly how shit the standard of this league will be. Will the games be streamed live on YouTube like the USL? Is it getting any press in Canada whatsoever? I see one team is playing in a 35,000 capacity stadium, whilst another seems like it's going to be holding it's games in a fenced off section of a municipal park.

The last fully professional, national Canadian league lasted 6 years (1987-93), and there's a lot of familiar faces in this new league, John McGrane who was head coach /coach (taking over from Juventus legend, John Charles) of the Hamilton Steelers is the GM at Forge FC, for example.

Looking through the squads, it does seem that Ameobi is the biggest "star" in the league, maybe alongside Gasparotto who moved from Morton.

Did you notice HFX Wanderers signed a 5'5" striker called Elton John? He's immediately my favourite player in the league. It's getting some press, but this is a hockey country with baseball in the summer. Soccer is niche at best - I doubt it'll ever be on at a bar outside of specialty places or followed by the public at large.

I'd imagine the standard and financial model will be similar to division 2 in the UK - few thousand fans show up to home games and that's about it. Forge FC or the Winnipeg team (forget name) play in massive CFL stadiums but they'll never fill them. York 9 play in a local university's stadium (capacity 2700), so the disparity is odd.

I think the whole thing will fold within a year or two, though I understand they got a huge sponsorship deal with Nike in the region of $200m so that will keep the league afloat for a while at least. It'll provide a few afternoons out watching a bit of knockabout football and my jersey (once available) will be a curio in years to come so I'm all in favour of it, for as long as it lasts.

EOLAN

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 15, 2019, 09:51:24 AM
Did you notice HFX Wanderers signed a 5'5" striker called Elton John? He's immediately my favourite player in the league. It's getting some press, but this is a hockey country with baseball in the summer. Soccer is niche at best - I doubt it'll ever be on at a bar outside of specialty places or followed by the public at large.

I'd imagine the standard and financial model will be similar to division 2 in the UK - few thousand fans show up to home games and that's about it. Forge FC or the Winnipeg team (forget name) play in massive CFL stadiums but they'll never fill them. York 9 play in a local university's stadium (capacity 2700), so the disparity is odd.

I think the whole thing will fold within a year or two, though I understand they got a huge sponsorship deal with Nike in the region of $200m so that will keep the league afloat for a while at least. It'll provide a few afternoons out watching a bit of knockabout football and my jersey (once available) will be a curio in years to come so I'm all in favour of it, for as long as it lasts.
Don't forget the national sport of Lacrosse.
Say it probably still European football that will garner more interest casually. Did enjoy watching a dull Wales v Ireland game in PJ O'Brien's. Almost all times I go to Irish pubs when abroad; always vowing not to go to one is to watch a match. Anyway; was more authentically Irish than almost any other one; the type of place I could imagine many an IRA/NORAID fundraiser back in the day.
Tried to sneak in the Sheffield Wednesday v Hull City?? play-off final a few years ago in a sports bar in Toronto before going to my mates wedding, but my buddies weren't as up for that.
Also; is Paul Peschisolido in the top ten Candaian Footballers (sorry soccer players) of all time. The former West Brom man I blame for getting Derby County promoted in the play-off final against us; by being so slow and doing nothing; that when he was replaced with the pace of Giles Barnes our left-back couldn't readjust at all.

Ferris

As if you went to PJs! Place is a kip, it was my work boozer for the longest time. Johnny and Eoin behind the bar are very good at handing out free Jameson's on the DL if you stick around and chat at the bar long enough. The proper RA pub is McVeighs up the road - lots of pro-repub graffiti in the bogs and all their marketing is based on the Easter Rising (including their own proprietary brew; "1916 ale")

I've never seen lacrosse and don't actually know how it is played. Lads with sticks, basically.

Morrison Lard

Man U v Barcelona.
Then the winners of that v Liverpool/Porto.

Spuds v Man City.

Lovely stuff.

EOLAN

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 15, 2019, 10:22:37 AM
As if you went to PJs! Place is a kip, it was my work boozer for the longest time. Johnny and Eoin behind the bar are very good at handing out free Jameson's on the DL if you stick around and chat at the bar long enough. The proper RA pub is McVeighs up the road - lots of pro-repub graffiti in the bogs and all their marketing is based on the Easter Rising (including their own proprietary brew; "1916 ale")

I've never seen lacrosse and don't actually know how it is played. Lads with sticks, basically.

Oh yes; agreed it was a kip. But was much more an Irish pub than the usual places (Irish Embassy Bar and Grill?). Keep McVeigh's on the agenda for my next visit.
Went to see the Toronto Rock destroy Vancouver. Decent atmosphere. Catch up the basics as I watched; while my wife was in and out servicing us with drinks and hot dogs. Was surprised Ireland had a team in the Lacrosse World Cup in Israel last year. Would not be surprised if no one on the Irish team has ever been in Ireland mind.
Erm... yes so football thread, Canada, Paul Peschisolido. Is he still married to Karen Brady> Oh and dreading the Villa getting one over the Baggies in the Play-Offs. Strange part of season for us now; apart from our manager getting sacked while overall doing a reasonable if not fantastic job. Pretty much too far off automatics; too far ahead of teams outside play-offs; so we have about two months not playing for much; but then have two-three weeks of intense nerves and excitement come the end of the season.

monkfromhavana

I'd say that Peschisolido is up there as one of the best Canadian players of all-time, but I can't think of the one stand-out player that they've ever had.

I think this league will die on it's arse within 5 years, with any of the remaining centrally-based teams joining the USL.

bgmnts

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 15, 2019, 12:57:58 PM
I'd say that Peschisolido is up there as one of the best Canadian players of all-time, but I can't think of the one stand-out player that they've ever had.

Junior Hoilett is the only player I can think of.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 15, 2019, 12:57:58 PM

I think this league will die on it's arse within 5 years, with any of the remaining centrally-based teams joining the USL.

Tranmere Rovers legend Iain Hume.

Anyway, if any of you watch the inaugral match of the Canadian League, me and Ferris will be dressed as a mountie and a beaver, so get crowd spotting!

king_tubby

Quote from: EOLAN on March 15, 2019, 10:13:10 AMGiles Barnes.

Ah man, he was quality. Such a shame injury fucked him so badly. He's been knocking about the US.

ToneLa

Quote from: bgmnts on March 15, 2019, 02:10:29 PM
They'll be out for blood after last time, though.

It's the easiest draw on paper, but if they want a fight, good. Tactically it's good for us AND entertainment wise.

You don't seem to have a lot of fight in you bgmnts. Who did you want? I hope we get Barca in the next round!

monkfromhavana

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 15, 2019, 02:55:12 PM

Anyway, if any of you watch the inaugral match of the Canadian League, me and Ferris will be dressed as a mountie and a beaver, so get crowd spotting!

Owen Hargreaves probably. If it's streamable and at a decent hour, I'll tune in.

bgmnts

Quote from: ToneLa on March 15, 2019, 03:52:46 PM
It's the easiest draw on paper, but if they want a fight, good. Tactically it's good for us AND entertainment wise.

You don't seem to have a lot of fight in you bgmnts. Who did you want? I hope we get Barca in the next round!

Fucking up the league sapped it out of me a bit.

I wanted Barca actually, mate is a Barca fan and wanted to have another go at smashing them.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 15, 2019, 04:14:45 PM
Owen Hargreaves probably. If it's streamable and at a decent hour, I'll tune in.

6pm your time presuming your clocks go forward soon

Brian Freeze

I was going to chip in with Danny Dichio but he went to play in Canada, rather than being Canadian.
Still there apparently.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 15, 2019, 02:55:12 PM

But which of us will be dressed as which? YOU decide!

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 15, 2019, 04:44:32 PM
I was going to chip in with Danny Dichio but he went to play in Canada, rather than being Canadian.
Still there apparently.

Toronto FC legend. Has his own chants and section on the level of excellence. See him cutting about town occasionally when there's a game on - I think he is now Canadian so could count? Borderline one.

ToneLa

Quote from: bgmnts on March 15, 2019, 04:28:26 PM
Fucking up the league sapped it out of me a bit.

A bit?? I've read GrandOldTeam threads more positive aboot us!

QuoteI wanted Barca actually, mate is a Barca fan and wanted to have another go at smashing them.

I want to fuck over Luis and Phil.

Luis, maybe difficult.

Phil, not so much

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on March 15, 2019, 02:33:17 AM
When will someone acknowledge how mad Unai Emery's face is?
His face is fucking mad.

Weaseltooth Wankrapist
Jacque-Orf Necrophile
Sexsquirt McLongteef
Cumface O'Rielly

Why's he doing that?!

Belly-laughed