Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:37:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Finishing: '19 - footballfootballfootballfootballfootb

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 13, 2019, 10:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lurker

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 16, 2019, 01:39:53 AM
HolyZombieJesus look away now
https://twitter.com/supfootballers/status/1089556128915169280

Good to see Pools player (and manager) Paul Murray scoring in that. I remember that being on Nick Hancock's Football Hell. I still regard the 3-in-1 DVD of Nick Hancock's Football Nightmare, Football Hell and Football Doctor to be the best thing ever I've bought in Poundland.

For anyone feeling nostalgic, they're all on YouTube and still stand up very well even if a lot of the players in it are now dead (including Matthew Brazier in that above video) and a lot of the jokes are about Man City being shit.

Ferris

Quote from: The Lurker on March 16, 2019, 10:12:08 PM
Hartlepool United's very own David Edgar, of course. The very same David Edgar who Wikipedia tells us is not to be confused with Edgar Davids.

David Edgar also linked with the CPL. Some real quality in the division *ahem*

phantom_power

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 16, 2019, 09:57:01 AM
Heh, typical fanspeak, that. You'd have fucking bitten mine or anyone else's hand off to get the weakest team in the draw.

Easy there Derren Brown. If you are so good at mind reading what four letter word beginning with c am I thinking of now

As it happens I am taking the rest of this season as a free pass and anything good that happens is a bonus. I thought that when Ole took over and I still think it now. As such I didn't mind who we got drawn with and am happy with Barca for the reasons stated, and because it should be a good match. However the season pans out now is a hundred times better than if Mourinho was still in charge

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on March 17, 2019, 08:14:50 AM
However the season pans out now is a hundred times better than if Mourinho was still in charge

If they don't win the CL and finish 6th in the league, I'd say that's exactly what would have happened had Mourinho stayed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI am taking the rest of this season as a free pass

Cross between fanspeak and post-breakdown compartmentalization.

DrGreggles

Morrison Lard

Poor Neil Harris, made it all this way and then the mask slipped.
Cunt.

ToneLa

Fuckin Liverpool

You watch with your nerves jangling and you see it verified. You shake yir head and wonder: what next? When will true salvation come?

Manchester City Women 3-0 Liverpool Women

phantom_power

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 17, 2019, 09:25:08 AM
If they don't win the CL and finish 6th in the league, I'd say that's exactly what would have happened had Mourinho stayed.

But it would have been much more entertaining to watch, which is half the point

phantom_power

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 17, 2019, 10:08:14 AM
Cross between fanspeak and post-breakdown compartmentalization.

Someone's been on a buzzword course

DrGreggles

Quote from: ToneLa on March 17, 2019, 05:46:22 PM
Fuckin Liverpool

You watch with your nerves jangling and you see it verified. You shake yir head and wonder: what next? When will true salvation come?

The overall performance was actually pretty good, except for the finishing and Virg's rare brainfart.
I suppose the result was all that mattered and it puts a bit of pressure on City for the first time in a few weeks.

Only just seen that Millwall lost too. They were winning when I had to go out.

ToneLa

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 17, 2019, 08:48:51 PM
The overall performance was actually pretty good, except for the finishing and Virg's rare brainfart.
I suppose the result was all that mattered and it puts a bit of pressure on City for the first time in a few weeks.

Only just seen that Millwall lost too. They were winning when I had to go out.

What's this with the "actually pretty good"s

I was happy before and during the mens' game (mostly; their goal was our stupidity) and been getting wrecked since

I'm not bgmnts you know-  sour, not cracking a smile at even 4 nil dominations, not kicking in the skull of animal abusers.

DrGreggles

A late penalty to narrowly beat a soon-to-be-relegated side doesn't ordinarily suggest a decent performance - hence the 'actually'.

In other news, that Messi lad is pretty good actually.

thraxx

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 17, 2019, 01:01:03 PM
This is a bit brilliant:
https://vimeo.com/9426271

Not sure how I'd never seen it before.

That is wonderful - they need to do one for England's Italia 90 semi final now.

hummingofevil

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 17, 2019, 09:34:46 PM
A late penalty to narrowly beat a soon-to-be-relegated side doesn't ordinarily suggest a decent performance - hence the 'actually'.

In other news, that Messi lad is pretty good actually.

Did you see this?

https://twitter.com/MundialMag/status/1107394655849717761

I love it when a home crowd politely applauds a wonder goal (I can remember Paul Simpson  - I think - score an amazing goal for Rochdale at the Racecourse) but I've never seen home fans give a mass bow-down-and-worship to opposition player. With neither La Liga or Champions League ever on TV these days I've not properly watched him in years now but my god.

DrGreggles

Quote from: hummingofevil on March 18, 2019, 12:21:57 AM
Did you see this?

https://twitter.com/MundialMag/status/1107394655849717761

I love it when a home crowd politely applauds a wonder goal (I can remember Paul Simpson  - I think - score an amazing goal for Rochdale at the Racecourse) but I've never seen home fans give a mass bow-down-and-worship to opposition player. With neither La Liga or Champions League ever on TV these days I've not properly watched him in years now but my god.

I remember one against us at Anfield that was so good that there was a few seconds of stunned silence after it, followed by polite applause at what was clearly a fucking astonishing thunder bastard.
Even more remarkable was that Erik Edman scored it.

phantom_power

To have the audacity to even attempt that shot is stunning, and the execution is perfect.

Smalling will have him in his pocket

thraxx

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 18, 2019, 08:52:12 AM
I remember one against us at Anfield that was so good that there was a few seconds of stunned silence after it, followed by polite applause at what was clearly a fucking astonishing thunder bastard.

What was it like in there when Jags did this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-29kuEAAUg

bgmnts

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 18, 2019, 08:52:12 AM

I remember Maxi Rodriguez capping off his hattrick at Fulham with a long range strike and some of the Fulham fans applauded.

That Messi goal was decent.

hummingofevil

I've always thought that that Edman goal was the lost goal in the canon of classic strikes of English football. It is absolutely belting.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 16, 2019, 10:40:13 PM

Taking one of the "Designated Player" slots that are exempt from the salary cap, no doubt.

Captain Z

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 16, 2019, 06:23:20 PM
Lads... it is finally here. The equinox. What we all were waiting for.

THREE-O WALCOTT

I missed more fun from the day:

https://twitter.com/RealDMitchell/status/1107348884722978828

https://twitter.com/Mikee48/status/1106892028326150146/photo/1

And the fact that Theo did actually play on Sunday and missed a glaring opportunity to make the scoreline 3-0 against Chelsea.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Weird the guy spent 90% of his career being a disappointment, partly through injuries and being played out of position but he could easily have been a "mid table/div 1" legend by now

Jittlebags

Some interesting fixtures coming up for Man U. Watford, Wolves, Barca, Everton and West Ham. Could the juddering Olly bandwagon come to a halt ?

phantom_power

Well, no amount of "putting smiles on player's faces" can paper over the cracks in the squad. One thing that seems to not be really mentioned when talking about who the next manager will be is that Ole has done everything he has done with exactly the same team he was given at the start, which means they will have exactly the same weaknesses. Obviously Mourinho amplified those weaknesses and made new ones of his own, and the squad is a lot better than performances under him would suggest, but they are very much not the finished product. Part of the problem is working out who is dead wood, who could be good with some better coaching and who is playing above themselves under Solskjaer but will revert to normal at some point.

The truth of the squad as it stands is somewhere between the nadir of Mourinho and the heights that Solskjaer has managed to lift them in recent months. And through all of that I still have no faith that the people above the manager have any idea how to identify the correct transfer targets and how to actually get them. It will certainly be an interesting summer for United fans

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 16, 2019, 10:40:13 PM

He's no Edgar Davids

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The truth of the squad as it stands is somewhere between the nadir of Mourinho and the heights that Solskjaer has managed to lift them in recent months.

Well, that's a shame given you finished 2nd last year.

phantom_power

And I don't remember enjoying more than 2 games all season, which again is half the point of following football. Not to mention United getting a lot worse this season and the other teams getting better. You do understand what the word "nadir" means?

DrGreggles