Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:49:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Two? Really?

Started by touchingcloth, March 14, 2019, 12:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

I'm moving house, so tonight I got the crates of DVDs down from the loft for a purge. Some of them have an extras disc which is really unnecessary, though. Jean de Florette with a features disc. Two? Really?

thenoise

This was pretty common at one point, '2 disc special edition' with a separate disc for a 40 minute 'making of' puff piece and a few trailers. I am amazed that so many Blu-rays that come with exactly the same content on a DVD as an extra, although I suppose it means I could watch it on my laptop.

touchingcloth

Ha, Blu Rays come with DVDs? That is well arse.

magval

Wasn't the idea that it would encourage people who hadn't got a BD player yet to buy the BD anyway? I know I fell for this for a wee while with the 4K discs that came with normal Blu-ray as well before deciding not to bother getting a 4K player.

Think the term is future proofing?

It was also directly pitched at parents who were more likely to have a Blu-ray player in the main room but still DVDs for whatever the kids were watching films on.

Buelligan

A word to the wise, touching, not sure where you're moving to but if it's anywhere like here, you might find that your old dvds take on a much higher value - if it's a place where internet can go down for weeks at a time for instance.   Books in English too, if you lose your leccy.

hedgehog90

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 14, 2019, 12:35:04 AM
Ha, Blu Rays come with DVDs? That is well arse.

Sometimes they do this, but usually they just take the same 480p/576p MPEG2 heavily interlaced encoding from previous dvd releases and whack them on the Blu-ray.
It's weird when they include 20 years worth of interviews and makings of on a single release. You can see the cast and aging considerably between each featurette.