Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:43:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Should musicians go to N Korea and similar places?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 14, 2019, 08:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should they go to N Korea?

Yes
10 (40%)
No
3 (12%)
Cigs
12 (48%)
Raoul Moat
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Fambo Number Mive

Wasn't sure whether to put this in Oscillations or here, but the debate isn't really about music. Joss Stone, who wants to perform in every country in the world, has performed at a bar in North Korea. Her Instagram shows some of the places in North Korea she has been to.

Is her performance in North Korea and the documentation of the places she visits unethical or should music be separated from politics?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47556969

madhair60

No, but not for any political reasons. I just wouldn't bother my arse.

ToneLa

Fambo's Questions

No, I suppose. No. Let's go with no.

Fambo Number Mive

Maybe it might get Kim back to the negotiating table again, I don#'t know.

Icehaven

I'm amazed anyone in N Korea would have a clue who Joss Stone was. By 'perform' does she mean she did a few numbers at a karaoke night?

Of course they should. I hope Joss gets put in an underground labour camp.

Fambo Number Mive

idunnosomename

How full of yourself do you need to be to play in every country in the world? Is this going to include Western Sahara? Get in gulag

Paul Calf

It'll be interesting to see if she plays:

China AND Tibet
China AND Taiwan
Kashmir
Georgia
Russia, Georgia and South Ossetia

etc...

I think she's about to find out that this is a bit more complicated than she'd assumed.

Fambo Number Mive

The international community should troll her by coming up with new countries all the time. Have one in the Arctic or something.

momatt

There are plenty of musicians I would like to go to North Korea and not come back.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 14, 2019, 09:43:21 AM
The international community should troll her by coming up with new countries all the time. Have one in the Arctic or something.

Declare the Marianas Trench to be a new country.

Sebastian Cobb

Is there a person in every country that wants to see Joss Stone perform or is she hubristically assuming people want that? It's like U2 and the iPod all over again, apart from people can't write software to remove her.

jobotic

At least we're talking about Joss Stone.

Although, what's new there?!

Glebe

Blumf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 14, 2019, 10:18:09 AM
It's like U2 and the iPod all over again, apart from people can't write software to remove her.

Where's a NK hacker when you need them?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47524768

Puce Moment

I imagine she thought it was a good idea and committed to it, like her American accent. And then one day she was watching Pointless and someone said "Saint Kitts and Nevis" and half her digestive dropped into her tea.

SteveDave

If I was Kim-Thingy, I'd launch the missiles now.

Why is she now actively seeking places to get her head chopped off?

Chollis

Thanks for reminding me that Joss Stone exists, prick.

Dex Sawash

I was aware of the name Joss Stone, always assumed they were a man.

#cancelled for misgendering

Shit Good Nose

Does everyone still hate her?

Literally all I know of her is from a few years ago when she changed her accent to an awful transatlantic one overnight.  I've never even knowingly heard a song by her.

Captain Z

Say what you like about her, but 'Black Horse And The Cherry Tree', '9 Million Bicycles' and 'I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker' are all tunes.

momatt

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 14, 2019, 12:12:43 PM
Does everyone still hate her?

Hello Joss Stone reading this, I for one do not hate you and think you look very nice.
Thank you.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: momatt on March 14, 2019, 12:25:22 PM
Hello Joss Stone reading this, I for one do not hate you and think you look very nice.
Thank you.

It's okay, you don't need to worry - CaB is almost certainly blocked in North Korea and mainland China.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 14, 2019, 11:13:12 AM
I imagine she thought it was a good idea and committed to it, like her American accent. And then one day she was watching Pointless and someone said "Saint Kitts and Nevis" and half her digestive dropped into her tea.
Quote from: Captain Z on March 14, 2019, 12:20:24 PM
Say what you like about her, but 'Black Horse And The Cherry Tree', '9 Million Bicycles' and 'I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker' are all tunes.

I laughed