Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:53:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Student Loans Company Are Going to Chib Me.

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, March 15, 2019, 12:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

I wrote them a letter explaining that I didn't enjoy university, and as such my student debt has been compassionately wiped as part of an amnesty deal.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Thomas on March 15, 2019, 07:45:13 PM
I wrote them a letter explaining that I didn't enjoy university, and as such my student debt has been compassionately wiped as part of an amnesty deal.

Do you reckon if I tell SLC that I didn't ever (a) pull a prank on the vice-chancellor or (b) jump out of 2nd floor window into a pool to the Kingsmen's Louie Louie I could cut a similar deal?

ToneLa

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 15, 2019, 01:38:28 PM
So if SLC pass your loan onto a private company, are the new guys allowed to be pricks and send the bailiffs round or are they still stuck to the original contract?

Still, look at American student debt. That is head-hurtingly mind-boggling.

I signed fuck all when it happened and I've heard nowt. Ye can't change a contract wholesale without, you know, that pesky consent thing

Haha bailiffs. As if I open the door!

rasta-spouse

I think bailiffs are allowed to climb through open windows too. And the "atomizing through keyholes" bill is on the verge of being passed.

ToneLa

Like I open my windows or permit atoms surreptitious entry!

Naw seriously the fuck they gonna do. At this point I almost feel like ringing them up and goading them.... except I'd be goading a machine, and I'm no Kyle Reese in that one singular respect

Ferris

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 15, 2019, 07:59:06 PM
I think bailiffs are allowed to climb through open windows too. And the "atomizing through keyholes" bill is on the verge of being passed.

I live on the 28th floor. I'd love to see this happen.

rasta-spouse

QuoteNaw seriously the fuck they gonna do.

I guess so - it's still a buzzkill to get a letter with uppercase red font at the top. And that's just from the Constituency Labour Party, boh!

But hey, if Kyle Reese time-traveled to his Uni days he'd probably lay out the VC's office furniture on the campus grass in front of library. Glorious days.

Pranet

I think it was only the hopeless cases (like me) they had given up on that got passed to Erudio.

TBH I never had many problems with the old Student Loan company, once a year they would send me a form, I would send it back with my last letter confirming I was signing on or my measly payslip and sure enough repayment would be deferred. As soon as it went to Erudio I started getting problems, them not sending me a form or after having received a form not deciding on deferment until I'd rung them up and hassled them. This year they deferred in about 24 hours after me applying for deferment so don't know what happened there.

Last year I got a letter from them with the generous offer that if I paid half of my debt they would stop hassling me, though they did warn me it would  screw up my credit rating. Even in the exceedingly unlikely event I started earning enough to have to start paying it off there is no way I would have paid half of it off before I reach the age that it gets written off. Can't image they had any takers.

Bazooka

I've paid off probably a few grand over the years, I had a few emails from them recently, but I live in China and choose to pay my money into the Communist Party.

ToneLa

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 15, 2019, 08:18:31 PM
I guess so - it's still a buzzkill to get a letter with uppercase red font at the top. And that's just from the Constituency Labour Party, boh!

But hey, if Kyle Reese time-traveled to his Uni days he'd probably lay out the VC's office furniture on the campus grass in front of library. Glorious days.

Rasta-Spouse gets it; a meme for modern life is What Would Kyle Reese Do.

You & me pal: Short I expect (correct me if I'm way offbase here on assuming the contents of yir résumé  on toppin murderin robots from space or whatevs; so what if you did that Linda Hamilton? Me too; or a 19 year old lass ootside a Hooton offie who looked a bit like her and I say these magic words and Ha-ha-ho! as my pullin-hoot soonds

It all harkens to better days though pal. The noo. Ici, pardon my Francais.

But if those cunts come at me again mercillesly some exoskeletons are getting bust (why is that my regular friday-night catchphrase?)

TLDR: If the SLC came at me with knives they'd probably no be fuckin real