Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:09:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Lib-Dem's Just Can't Catch a Break

Started by Blumf, March 15, 2019, 12:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Mainly because they're a bunch of cunts:

Vince Cable finally throwing in the towel.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47577739

Yawn

But, more importantly, David Steel, sorry Lord David Steel, has been booted from the Scottish Dib-Lems, because...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-47573243
QuoteThe Scottish Liberal Democrats have suspended former leader David Steel over remarks he made to a child abuse inquiry about the late MP Cyril Smith.

Lord Steel said he asked Smith in 1979 about claims he abused boys at a Rochdale hostel in the 1960s.

He said he came away from the conversation "assuming" that Smith had committed the offences but claimed it was "nothing to do with me".

As was the fashion at the time.

QuoteThe statement continued: "I am reinforced in my view by reading the previous report of the Inquiry sent to me today, which says inter alia 'the Crown Prosecution Service found that the advice which had previously been given could not be faulted (given the law and guidance in place at the time)' and that the honours scrutiny committee had seriously considered his nomination for a knighthood and sent a 'warning of risk' letter to Margaret Thatcher as PM, and that 'clearly she took a similar view' as he was granted the knighthood.

Well, if Maggie thinks it's okay...

Fabian Thomsett

Steel was saying this 5 years ago

QuoteLord Steel, asked whether he should have acted in the 1970s in the light of the allegations about one of his MP's behaviour, said: "I had no locus in the matter at all. They were ancient allegations about his time as a local councillor. They were nothing to do with his life as an MP."

QuoteAsked about allegations he had not taken the abuse claims seriously, Lord Steel said: "This was a different era. Corporal punishment was permitted. It would be totally illegal now. There would be no question he'd be up for assault now but in those days it went on."

https://www.libdemvoice.org/david-steel-responds-to-cyril-smith-allegations-idle-gossip-is-not-a-basis-for-any-inquiry-at-all-39579.html

Don't know why it's taken so long to suspend him.

MattD

The party is full of sanctimonious hypocritical wankers - it's institutionalised.

Jo Swindon will be the next leader. Don't expect any better from her - she might proclaim herself to be a feminist but when female party aides come forward and accuse Lord Rennard of sexual assault, she privately tells them to shut up for the sake of the party. Another typical Lib Dem politician.

NoSleep

Quote"I had no locus in the matter at all. They were ancient allegations about his time as a local councillor. They were nothing to do with his life as an MP."

For "ancient" read "just a couple of years before he became an MP".

Cuellar

Neville Chamberlain

I woke up the other day and the first thing that came to mind was "Is David Steel still alive?"

I checked Wikipedia and he was.

And he still is, it seems.

I don't have any more Lib Dem-related anecdotes, sorry.

gilbertharding

David Steel, Jeremy Thorpe, Chris Huhne, Cyril Smith, David Laws, Mike Hancock, the Baron Rennard, Clement Freud, Mark Oaten... I mean, a list of decent Liberals/Lib Dems would be harder to compile.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 15, 2019, 02:43:32 PM
David Steel, Jeremy Thorpe, Chris Huhne, Cyril Smith, David Laws, Mike Hancock, the Baron Rennard, Clement Freud, Mark Oaten... I mean, a list of decent Liberals/Lib Dems would be harder to compile.

Can I post this to my rabidly anti-Corbyn Pro-Liberal uncle? tee hee hee...even his daughter who is also a bleeding heart liberal (but kind soul) has moved to Corbyn's side in recent years.

gilbertharding

It's a bit ad hominem... I don't know what these fine gentlemen were doing when they weren't conspiring to murder or pervert the course of justice, or groping children, or groping women, or lying about their expenses, or lying about buying sex. For all I know they're totally sound apart from all the crimes and lies.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 15, 2019, 02:43:32 PM

Charles Kennedy was pretty decent. Not sure whom apart from that.

biggytitbo

Mark Oaten was the one who liked to be shit on by rent boys wasnt he?

Charles Kennedy was alright. Paddy Pantsdown killed men but he still has to be up there in the top 3 of lib dems.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 15, 2019, 02:53:01 PM
It's a bit ad hominem... I don't know what these fine gentlemen were doing when they weren't conspiring to murder or pervert the course of justice, or groping children, or groping women, or lying about their expenses, or lying about buying sex. For all I know they're totally sound apart from all the crimes and lies.

Shitting in people's mouths. Literally and ....errr...laterally.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 15, 2019, 02:56:53 PM
Charles Kennedy was pretty decent. Not sure whom apart from that.

Floella Benjamin?

king_tubby

Pretty remiss that Tim 'No pooftas' Farron isn't on the list of SHAME.

NoSleep

A friend of mine recounted a story about Paddy Ashdown's impatience at a meeting brought to an untimely halt caused by somebody literally dying before his eyes.

biggytitbo

It's brought much more happiness to the world than anything Vince himself has ever done.

gilbertharding

Quote from: king_tubby on March 15, 2019, 03:09:44 PM
Pretty remiss that Tim 'No pooftas' Farron isn't on the list of SHAME.

David Steel, Jeremy Thorpe, Chris Huhne, Cyril Smith, David Laws, Mike Hancock, the Baron Rennard, Clement Freud, Mark Oaten, Tim Farron... I mean, a list of decent Liberals/Lib Dems would be harder to compile.

Any more for any more?

king_tubby

canadagoose

Huh. Kind of surprised about Steel, as I thought he had some sense. Oh well. I still maintain Archy Kirkwood is a decent Lib Dem, and their councillors are generally fine.

biggytitbo

Quote from: canadagoose on March 15, 2019, 04:35:29 PM
Huh. Kind of surprised about Steel, as I thought he had some sense. Oh well. I still maintain Archy Kirkwood is a decent Lib Dem, and their councillors are generally fine.

Steel was responsible for the bill that legalised abortion in the 60s, so he's done some important things. I have a feeling most of his vintage would have done exactly why he did here, not that it makes it ok but its hardly unusual  for the time or place.

Mr_Simnock

Sherman Krank

Quote from: MattD on March 15, 2019, 01:17:54 AM
Jo Swindon will be the next leader.
I wouldn't be so sure, there's now no requirement for the leader of the Lib Dems to be a member of the party so literally anyone can stand.
I reckon that after they've filtered out all the nutters and pisstakers the final four standing will be Swinson, Gina Miller, The Pub Landlord and Cyril Jones (Simon Brodkin in a fat suit).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Which prominent figure was outing paedophiles around that time, out of interest?

I don't think any historical context justifies knowledge of abuse and doing nothing about it, by the way. It would just be handy to have an example to hold up in order to more fairly single Steel out for opprobrium.

biggytitbo

Nobody was, until recently the fact some politician was a paedophilie was used as a mechanism of control, or as bargaining chips. Lord Boothby and tom dyberg springs to mind there, they were nonce mutually assured destruction. And the whips office has used the boy loving antics of mps as a way of strong arming them forever.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 15, 2019, 05:33:37 PM
Which prominent figure was outing paedophiles around that time, out of interest?

Conservative MP, Geoffrey Dickens? He certainly compiled the Westminster Paedophile Dossier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westminster_paedophile_dossier

Replies From View

gib

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on March 15, 2019, 06:55:39 PM
Conservative MP, Geoffrey Dickens? He certainly compiled the Westminster Paedophile Dossier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westminster_paedophile_dossier

Judging by that wiki page, the whole investigation just died out around 2015. Is that right?