Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:53:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Remember lads, subscribe to PewDiePie or Christchurch Mosques Shooting

Started by Urinal Cake, March 15, 2019, 03:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urinal Cake

QuoteIn the first few minutes, the gunman says, "Remember lads, subscribe to Pewdiepie," a popular Swedish YouTuber who has spewed racial slurs and made anti-Semitic comments on his channel.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/richardhjames/serious-firearms-incident-in-christchurch

Kryton

Don't watch the video, it's chilling (stuff you won't forget). He apparently live-streamed it to facebook and 8chan.

Apparently he was egged on by 8chan alt-right incel types just before live-streaming the video of the shooting and following executions.
His manifesto is full of edgy internet memes and hate-filled messages and his guns were covered in scrawlings in white marker pen with references to things like the Rotherham child abuse scandal and other things that possibly 'justified' his attack.

Far-right terrorist absolutely no doubt about it, he admitted as much himself. Bizarrely his twitter is still open. Details of his manifesto are there to read on various media sites.

Horrible waste of life.

Not sure if there's multiple shooters or he was alone, but fucking hell... You vaguely expect this kind of stuff in America, but not NZ...

timbis

Don't watch this shit. Not out of curiosity. It's worse than than you think.

imitationleather

Urinal Cake

One gunman is reportedly Australian- pretty ironic. NZ has repeatedly asked Australia not to send back most NZ criminals. Further there's an ISIS bride in Syria asking to come back to Australia for the sake of her children.

Twed

Maybe it's god fucking damned time for fuckers on every side of the political spectrum to admit that anti-Muslim attitudes aren't acceptable.

Mobius

Anyone who posts on 4chan or whatever is clearly a piece of shit

Hundhoon

that is one of the most intense fucked up surreal videos I have ever seen. fuck.

why are the BBC insanely slow. seven dead, I saw the video 2 hours ago,  there are at least 40 dead in that video.

Moribunderast

I've watched my share of war documentaries and whatnot and have strong curiosity when it comes to the bleak but I actually can't fathom how anybody could even click on the video of this.

timbis

I was scrolling through the Christchurch hashtag shortly after it happened. It seemed like every second post was a video of it. If you were trying to find out what was happening it was impossible to miss.

Crisps?

AIUI, watching videos like this in the UK will soon get you facing up to 15 years inside. Obviously a free speech issue when applied to white-supremacist terrorism. I don't think I'd lose any sleep, though, if the people who incited and applauded this action or actions like it, on 8chan, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter or anywhere else, were tracked down and prosecuted.

Despite its reputation and popularity for being Middle Earth, NZ is even more gunloon than Australia (the USA of the Southern Hemisphere), with one gun for every four people, and:

"guns with slightly different features but virtually the same function [as "military-style semi-automatic" weapons] can fall outside of stricter regulations. Both police and firearms enthusiasts noted that a rifle could be transformed into a "MSSA" simply by adding a larger-capacity ammunition magazine. [...] Purchase of high-capacity magazines is unregulated and does not require a firearms license". (Guardian)

Moribunderast

Quote from: timbis on March 15, 2019, 06:35:27 AM
I was scrolling through the Christchurch hashtag shortly after it happened. It seemed like every second post was a video of it. If you were trying to find out what was happening it was impossible to miss.

Yeah, I'm sure there are some who came across it accidentally and honestly, the morbidly curious part of me would normally consider viewing it but the description is so harrowing I just know it would be unforgettably horrific. Can't really understand the ones that voluntarily enter into that - unless they have an easier time forgetting such imagery than I do.

It's so sad. The details coming out are distressing and disturbing in equal measure. Shitposting about it on the chans, being egged on and supported... there's a lot to say for the online culture we've created and the excess of trolling and triggering and out-edgying in certain sections of the internet - devaluing empathy and compassion until someone can do something like this while still effectively shitposting via meme during his livestream. It's incredibly depressing.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Crisps? on March 15, 2019, 06:43:05 AM

Despite its reputation and popularity for being Middle Earth, NZ is even more gunloon than Australia (the USA of the Southern Hemisphere), with one gun for every four people, and:

Australia isn't gunloon at all, is it? I mean, I live here and have never seen a gun outside of in a cop's holster or at a farm. And whenever this sorta shit happens in the US, Australia's gun laws are regularly brought up as what to aspire to.

idunnosomename

The pewdiepie thing is him trolling the media. There's some sincere white nationalism stuff but by mixing it up with internet memes it's intended to cause a crazy moral panic. I'm glad the BBC haven't mentioned it yet.

The whole thing was conceived as a spectacle. He goes in to the British Grenadier. There's Serbian anti-Turk songs. He was supposed to set the mosque alight to the Crazy World of Arthur Brown (but messed up for some reason) and drive away to the Initial D theme (anime about cars). It is repulsive but he has tried to make a meme out of the deaths of over 40 people, and this is why you absolutely shouldn't watch it and definitely not share it. It's trying to radicalise in actually the same way as Islamic State did a few years ago.

Crisps?

Quote from: Moribunderast on March 15, 2019, 06:47:31 AM
Australia isn't gunloon at all, is it?

Not really, after the mass shooting in Tasmania resulted in drastic gun control measures. I meant Australia seems (otherwise) politically the USA of the South (relative to seemingly more progressive/Canada-like New Zealand, and after the activities of the CIA in Australia the 1970s). Maybe that's a wrong assumption/generalisation to make, but it's still surprising to me that NZ apparently isn't at least as restrictive on guns as Australia and the rate of gun ownership is higher.

Zetetic

I suggest there's also something quite fundamental about dignity thats relevant when considering watching people at the worst point in their lives, shortly before they end, without a robust reason to do so.

jobotic

Why would anyone watch this?

Wonder where this pathetic shit got his info on Rotherham from? It's like allowing neo-Nazis etc to spew race hate all over social media has consequences.

I expect I'm naive. Don't want to set a precedent so they come for the left-wing neo-Nazis.

Urinal Cake

Australia has strict gun laws as a consequence of the Port Arthur massacre- 35 killed. While farmers occasionally kick up a fuss about importing guns that would make their lives easier most people don't want to be America.

NZ has a conservative streak that is hidden in a lot of progressive-Hobbit PR. In particular Labor rights there were/are awful compared to Australia.

I haven't thought through the implications of Pewds but the title does seem to be the phrase of our age.

SpiderChrist

Paul Calf

Wow. What an total fucking candle. And people voted for him.

Cerys

Cloud

Fucking hell

Perhaps it's a good idea now to stop dismissing the alt right as a bunch of internet edgelords and see them as the danger that they are. Would be a good idea for alt right figureheads to do what they keep asking Muslims to do and condemn the actions of others of their kind.

jobotic

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: timbis on March 15, 2019, 04:07:12 AM
Don't watch this shit. Not out of curiosity. It's worse than than you think.

I take your point but how can some cunt filming himself murdering 40 people not be worse than you think?!

Urinal Cake

Anning wasn't voted in as such. He got 19 votes (yes out of all of Queensland) and due to the peculiarity of our constitution and voting system replaced another senator. Got form- talks about final solution and too much of a racist for two far right parties which kicked him out.

pcsjwgm

Fraser Anning (who attended a far-right rally with neo-Nazis) is by far the worst person in Australian politics, which says a fucking lot when George Christensen, Bob Katter, and bloody Pauline Hanson are still around.

timbis

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on March 15, 2019, 07:54:20 AM
I take your point but how can some cunt filming himself murdering 40 people not be worse than you think?!

The extent of the massacre wasn't known at the time. I didn't seek it out so wasn't expecting it.

Cuellar

Fuck me, imagine writing

"Now I'm totally opposed to this horrific violence, HOWEVER..."