Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:25:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Remember lads, subscribe to PewDiePie or Christchurch Mosques Shooting

Started by Urinal Cake, March 15, 2019, 03:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Has anyone made the point yet that the perpetrator was Australian, so if he lives in NZ he's an immigrant himself?

ZoyzaSorris

It's only really the moas that have a really good cause to complain about immigrants in NZ and they are all firmly in grave. I suppose the Maoris have second dibs.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Cuellar on March 15, 2019, 02:13:54 PM
It suffers from the same mod-cowardice that twitter and facebook have, though. Outright hateful/incitements to violence etc. are allowed to flourish. Loads of horrible subreddits that exist solely to get angry at women (I think they managed to eventually ban the out and out racist subreddits, or at least some of them, but the ones about women they don't seem to mind).

On average it's a shower of bastards.

Yes- they will occasionally ban offensive subreddits, but a lot of the time they will just "quarantine" them, which means pretty much fuck-all. I think a quarantine translates as "Well, we probably should ban this sub, but it brings a lot of traffic to the site and makes us money, so we'll just make it a tiny bit less visible so we can pretend we give a fuck, job's a good'un", a bit like Facebook when they took ages to ban Britain First and all the creepshot pages. Reddit banned r/incels and don't give a fuck that it was restarted as r/braincels- they just quarantined that one. I'm not sure r/The_Donald is even quarantined at all...

The misogyny on there is fucking frightening too. A woman only has to exist to be judged as a "thot" or a "Karen"- scratch that, even women who only exist as collections of pixels in a video games are slut-shamed. The misogyny creeps in everywhere and is something I feel much happier not seeing.

ads82

For those less acquainted with online culture who is this PewDiePie? Is he an annoying but innocent YouTuber, or is there something more sinister going on with him?

Barry Admin

Quote from: ads82 on March 15, 2019, 03:37:32 PM
For those less acquainted with online culture who is this PewDiePie? Is he an annoying but innocent YouTuber, or is there something more sinister going on with him?

He's the most subscribed YouTuber in the world. His channel is eventually going to be overtaken by an Indian media/film company's channel called Tseries. It's a meme to support Pewdiepie by doing things and then asking people to subscribe to him, that's why he has been invoked here.

poo

biggytitbo

The usual unedifying spectacle of people from all over the place trying to exploit the atrocity by projecting their existing hobbyhorse onto it. I've seen some particularly egregious examples on twitter which I won't post but you know what I mean.

Buelligan

Quote from: icehaven on March 15, 2019, 03:01:31 PM
I've just had an email saying a local landmark (of sorts anyway) is going to be lit up in the colours of the NZ flag to show solidarity etc. But seeing as that's red white and blue, which is also the colour of the flags of the UK, Australia, France and probably many others I'm not sure it's a particularly effective gesture (if it was anyway.)
But I guess in the face of otherwise complete powerlessness it's something.

It would probably be more fitting if they broadcast the call to prayer.

Something anyone can do.  Imagine it, right across the world at sunset.

Soup Dogg

jobotic

He was definitely showing off in front of his fellow inadequates on 8chan. It's no good saying "yeah but the internet brings us lots of good things and freedom of speech".

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/rest-of-world/2019/03/15/shitposting-inspirational-terrorism-and-the-christchurch-mosque-massacre/

St_Eddie

Cuellar

Turn the internet off? Would be sorry to lose this place, but what can you do.

The Pewdiepie situation is complicated, but I don't think he bears any responsibility for this particular incident

Flouncer

I feel like somebody must have made reference to this on here, but if they have I've missed it... From a few days ago. I thought they might have had the good sense to take it down in light of what's happened, but it's still up there. Nice.

Cuellar

They must have been hacked, though? Who in UKIP even knows what Youtube is, let alone PewDiePie

alan nagsworth

World's fucked right now isn't it really, no two ways about it. What a truly upsetting and bafflingly stupid thing to have happened. Christ.

Quote from: Cuellar on March 15, 2019, 04:12:28 PM
They must have been hacked, though? Who in UKIP even knows what Youtube is, let alone PewDiePie

UKIP recently welcomed Sargon of Akkad, Count Dankula and Paul Joseph Watson into their ranks so there's definitely an extremely online youth contingent

RicoMNKN

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 15, 2019, 04:01:30 PM
The Pewdiepie situation is complicated, but I don't think he bears any responsibility for this particular incident

I think his position is worth considering in that he's both YouTube's most popular channel and also on the fringes of the alt-right.  People who follow him for the non-edgelord content are most likely going to get recommended more extreme stuff by YouTube. He must know that he is in a position of power, and at best does not care.

Cuellar

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 15, 2019, 04:17:32 PM
UKIP recently welcomed Sargon of Akkad, Count Dankula and Paul Joseph Watson into their ranks so there's definitely an extremely online youth contingent

Fair point.

Quote from: RicoMNKN on March 15, 2019, 04:17:59 PM
I think his position is worth considering in that he's both YouTube's most popular channel and also on the fringes of the alt-right.  People who follow him for the non-edgelord content are most likely going to get recommended more extreme stuff by YouTube. He must know that he is in a position of power, and at best does not care.

I think he's indifferent to the attention he attracts from extremists, and doesn't do enough to distance himself from them because he wants to keep his audience wide, but while he could probably do more, I don't think there's a direct line of responsibility from Pewdiepie to the shooter. I do really wish he hadn't have had Ben Shapiro guest on his channel though, who is a particularly virulent anti-Arab racist and the sort of person who is feasibly responsible for this sort of thing

bgmnts

Quote from: jobotic on March 15, 2019, 03:55:50 PM
He was definitely showing off in front of his fellow inadequates on 8chan. It's no good saying "yeah but the internet brings us lots of good things and freedom of speech".

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/rest-of-world/2019/03/15/shitposting-inspirational-terrorism-and-the-christchurch-mosque-massacre/

Gorilla warfare made me laugh much too hard.

St_Eddie

Quote from: RicoMNKN on March 15, 2019, 04:17:59 PM
...YouTube's most popular channel...

Beloved by children.  This is the man whom today's kids are getting their values from.  One day, they'll be running this Country.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid.

Buelligan

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 15, 2019, 04:22:10 PM
I think he's indifferent to the attention he attracts from extremists, and doesn't do enough to distance himself from them because he wants to keep his audience wide, but while he could probably do more, I don't think there's a direct line of responsibility from Pewdiepie to the shooter. I do really wish he hadn't have had Ben Shapiro guest on his channel though, who is a particularly virulent anti-Arab racist and the sort of person who is feasibly responsible for this sort of thing

If I worked in PR, I'd say he's been advised that he needs to point up his dangerous friends to add a bit of umami to the saccharine big bro image if he wants to keep his aging audience as they age and intrigue new ones too.  There's no market for tweetypie any more but a zombie tweetypie that might kill your mum and shit in her mouth will still sell tickets.  That's just my opinion.

And I agree, I don't think he's got any more to do with this than god has with the times people yell out his name and do awful shit.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Blinder Data on March 15, 2019, 09:55:57 AM
MailOnline is hosting the killer's manifesto as a downloadable document and the Sun has made bloody GIFs from the video

Media orgs can cry me a river, they need regulated to fuck

Hard agreed.

Crisps?

He's a very popular racist and anti-Semite that some people still, to this day, try to make excuses for because they like him.

He makes videos involving swastikas, Nazi salutes and Adolf Hitler, and pays people to make signs saying "DEATH TO ALL JEWS", that kind of brilliant thing.

He complained that Youtube discriminated against him (the most subscribed cunt on Youtube) because he's white, a few months ago gave a shout out to an anti-Semitic Youtube channel and when someone asked him when he became a "fucking Nazi", the blue-eyed, blond Swede replied "aryan, superior genetics since birth".

All just innocent TOP BANTZ for all his fans/apologists here and elsewhere.

When he got angry during the serious biz of playing a computer game he called someone a "fucking n**ger". (A term that is even censored here.)

This white-supremacist racist telling people to subscribe is just an innocent meme though. Everyone does it, for example:

hxxps://dailystormer.name/subscribe-to-pewdiepie-to-defend-the-supremacy-of-the-white-race/

(Daily Stormer loves him because he normalises Nazism, racism and white-supremacy to millions of subscribers.)

Yeah I pretty much fucking loathe Pewdiepie and his ilk, but I don't think that he's an antisemite, he just likes edgy South Park style humour which occasionally leads him to say awful, irresponsible shit but it's really hard to detect any real ideological content in what he does

Blumf

Still amazed Pewdi is still a thing. It was 5 years ago he appeared on South Park and he was hardly brand new then. I think Buelligan has nailed it, he needs the faux (not-faux) edginess to keep pulling 'em in.

Mr. Internet

Don't even look at the main Twitter feed for Christchurch. I was scrolling through some popular tweets and a video started playing from the point when he started shooting people.

I closed it before I could see anything too horrendous, but it's this sort of thing that makes me wish Twitter would give you an option before it starts playing videos. Is there something I can mess with in Settings?