Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:58:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Remember lads, subscribe to PewDiePie or Christchurch Mosques Shooting

Started by Urinal Cake, March 15, 2019, 03:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdie

I've no doubt the police will release the victims names once everyone has been identifued and thei next of kin advised.  Sorry it's not going as quickly as you like. 

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on March 15, 2019, 05:52:41 PM
Interesting, do his followers view it in such a nuanced way?

well his audience is mainly pre-teens so i don't imagine that they look for much substance in it

Pdine

Barry Admin

Birdie, it's nice to see you, under these sad circumstances. I was thinking about you just the other day.

That aside: fuck the media, fuck the news cycle. Fuck it all. Wanting the media to "humanise" the victims is totally understandable, but Jesus Christ it's also depressing.

Squink

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 15, 2019, 05:58:17 PM

He's probably not watching much youtube in there.

Bigs, I think you're fondly recalling a more innocent time, where you could rely on a 14 year-old to simply fire up a BDSM bukkake party while secluded in a room with the internet. Now we've come to a mad, world's-gone-mental point in human history, where lads like nags are suddenly cast as stern authoritarian figures.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Zetetic on March 15, 2019, 05:56:03 PM
I think that's an extremely optimistic view of the "pre-Industrial Age". (Off the top of my head, in the couple of hundred years prior: Britain had an actual ethnic cleansing campaign in the 1740s. Thirty Years War. British Civil Wars, including their prosecution in Ireland.)

Not to exonerate the Nazis, mind you, or argue that we shouldn't at the very least aspire to not frequently murdering civilians.

I'm sure you're aware I'm referring to the wars between the same nations in Europe over that period. Also misses the point which is not that wars were gentlemanly or chivalrous but there was some well intentioned theory that they ought to be (between the European powers anyway). All I was saying was World War II ended those notions permanently, and despite the Geneva Convention, forever, and that was down to the Nazis having no bottom of how low they were prepared to go, and also forcing all their enemies to obliterate them rather than surrender, inevitably involving large civilian loss as a consequence.

Blumf

What's the deal with the other suspects? They weren't directly involved in the shooting (from what I know), so how were they linked and arrested?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 15, 2019, 06:22:45 PM
well his audience is mainly pre-teens so i don't imagine that they look for much substance in it

What's the connection meant to be though, do you think children are being radicalised by pewdiepie?

Countless social media posts, countless newspaper and tv editorials, countless hot takes competing for clicks, all before the bodies are cold. It's definitely not helping is it?

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 15, 2019, 06:36:47 PM

What's the connection meant to be though, do you think children are being radicalised by pewdiepie?

er, what makes you think i do?

BritishHobo

Too angry and upset to formulate the words I want to about the fucking CUNT side of the internet that's allowed this kind of hate to fester in the name of ironic lulz, which WAS FUCKING OBVIOUS TO FUCKING ANYONE FOR FUCKING YEARS except the kind of shit-cunt reddit 4chan fucking sociopath teenagers who are happy laughing about the most appalling hateful things and fucking piling on anyone different who ever fought back but decried criticism of their own views and actions as silly over-offended people just not getting internet humour

But I'm going to steep myself in irony and hypocrisy here because I just wanted to point out that Carole Cadwalladr has done a big fucking boo-boo and scored a massive own-goal by making a series of tweets linking this to the Brexit/Facebook drama she investigates, tagging Andrew Neil and Owen Jones in to say 'this is the same as the Brexit crimes you ignore'. Not a good look. Lot of scorn coming her way. What on earth was she thinking. I'm focusing on the daftness of this because I'm too knackered and angry to focus on the awful horrible thing that's happened or it will all spill out in a shit incomprehensible paragraph like the one above.

biggytitbo

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 15, 2019, 06:47:11 PM
But I'm going to steep myself in irony and hypocrisy here because I just wanted to point out that Carole Cadwalladr has done a big fucking boo-boo and scored a massive own-goal by making a series of tweets linking this to the Brexit/Facebook drama she investigates, tagging Andrew Neil and Owen Jones in to say 'this is the same as the Brexit crimes you ignore'. Not a good look. Lot of scorn coming her way. What on earth was she thinking.

Yes I saw that, and she is by no means the only one trying to attach their cause to the tragedy, or worse still just looking for retweets.

buzby

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 15, 2019, 05:27:39 PM
Just saw that when I googled. The term originally seems to refer to shooting quick shots in two succession, but I definitely saw people using it today to refer to going round and finishing victims off. Wiki also mentions:
The term is most closely associated with the training of special forces like the SAS and US Navy SEALs as a method of ensuring a 'kill' instead of just injuring the enemy. The fetishization of special forces in tactical FPS games like CoD and Rainbow Six has led it to be widely used, but I can remember it being a thing s far back as the media wanking itself into a froth over 'are boys' in the SAS ending the seige of the Iranian Embassy back in 1980 and the 1988 'Death On The Rcck'  executions in Gibraltar.

Regarding the NZ gun laws, as I posted earlier in the thread they are similar to California's, which is one of the more restrictive States in the US. A semi auto AR15 clone like this fucker used is actually legal n the UK (if chambered in .22LR instead of 5.56mm - basically the same size bullet but in a less powerful cartridge) if you have a firearms licence. We don't even have a restriction on magazine capacity for semi auto rifles, unlike California and under Category A in NZ.

jobotic

I was right about Brendan O'Neil, not that it's hard to be.

It's not the far-right or "right wing commentators" like himself to blame, it's identity politics.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Also one - extremely isolated - incident isn't itself sufficient evidence of whether New Zealand's existing laws were robust enough or not. It's not like America where mass shootings are so common you can securely make the judgement they are a clear result (with many other supporting factors of course) of widespread accessibility to guns and an alarming cultural normalisation around actually using them ever in any situation.

Cloud

For a time,  early on, I think most of that kind of shit on 4chan was genuinely "edgy ironic racism and hatred for the lulz" but Poe's Law took effect and affected the participants just as much as the onlookers.  I.e. so that even they weren't sure any more if they were joking or genuinely cunts.   There's no doubt about the way it's gone though, and it's awful.  The phrase "you are what you pretend to be" comes to mind, in a rather chilling way.

Crisps?

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 15, 2019, 05:15:08 PM
I think the focus needs to be a lot motherfucking broader than some YouTuber who was invoked as a meme.

I don't really want to talk about him either, and don't think he's an important factor in this crime, but what do you have to do for a white-supremacist to invoke a meme about you before committing a mass murder?

I'm far more bothered by the people who incited and encouraged this guy to do it. I hope people who posted positively and encouragingly before and during the attack are tracked down and severely punished for it, wherever possible. As well as deserving it, hopefully it might wake up other idiots that depraved online behaviour has real life consequences.

I don't frequent the places this cunt was playing up to, and in the past I've just written them off as hot air, but with stuff like this, taking things to real life to this extreme, the communities that breed this kind of shit need to get severely fucked.

Left wing news outlets are disturbingly gleeful about this massacre because it suits their 'White man bad / Muslim good' narrative. ISIS are threatening to retaliate by committing a similar atrocity in the west. It's as if different groups don't mix and forced diversity leads to conflict.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on March 15, 2019, 07:14:28 PM
Left wing news outlets are disturbingly gleeful about this massacre because it suits their 'White man bad / Muslim good' narrative. ISIS are threatening to retaliate by committing a similar atrocity in the west. It's as if different groups don't mix and forced diversity leads to conflict.

Complete your own argument then and get the fuck off this forum you cunt

finnquark

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 15, 2019, 06:29:07 PM
I'm sure you're aware I'm referring to the wars between the same nations in Europe over that period. Also misses the point which is not that wars were gentlemanly or chivalrous but there was some well intentioned theory that they ought to be (between the European powers anyway). All I was saying was World War II ended those notions permanently, and despite the Geneva Convention, forever, and that was down to the Nazis having no bottom of how low they were prepared to go, and also forcing all their enemies to obliterate them rather than surrender, inevitably involving large civilian loss as a consequence.

The British strategy in both the French Wars and WWI rested to a large degree on the starvation of French/German civilians through naval blockade. The French invasion of Spain and Portugal in the Peninsular War saw civilians directly targeted. Vlad the Impaler. Various European powers used the chevauchee against each other in the 14th and 15th centuries. These were seen as legitimate strategic approaches. I always emphasise the technological developments in my interpretation of the point you're making. From what I've seen of this story, and I don't want to know much, the livestreaming of it is particularly grotesque and interesting from this point of view. Sorry if that's off topic, just thought it was an interesting point of discussion.

QDRPHNC

That's like looking at the Troubles and saying "Catholics and Protestants don't mix."

Most Catholics and Protestants mix just fine, it's the small number of arseholes who muck it up for everyone.

Actually yeah, just fuck off.

TrenterPercenter

Shed a few tears over this today, dunno not usual thing for me but after reading the stuff about that COWARDLY CUNT shooting a child and then running her over it just got to me in a big way.

What a fucking despicable cowardly cunt of cunt, such a fucking big hard man gunning down a child ffs!  Just because of some money making scheme by right-wing internet fantasists going on about some bullshit great replacement.

TrenterPercenter

Fuck off.

garbed_attic

oh fuck right off

idunnosomename

I've not seen any left-wing outlet gleeful about this and if I did I'd tell them to fuck off

bgmnts

Cunt post of the day.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Cloud on March 15, 2019, 07:13:55 PM
For a time,  early on, I think most of that kind of shit on 4chan was genuinely "edgy ironic racism and hatred for the lulz" but Poe's Law took effect and affected the participants just as much as the onlookers.  I.e. so that even they weren't sure any more if they were joking or genuinely cunts.   There's no doubt about the way it's gone though, and it's awful.  The phrase "you are what you pretend to be" comes to mind, in a rather chilling way.

The thing is, from the start it was a bunch of nerdy white guys throwing around racist and misogynistic slurs. It operated in a weird time on the internet in the early 2000s when people seemed to act like racism was no longer a thing, and so ironic racism could never be mistaken for real racism - because we all knew nobody was actually racist anymore. But no matter what, it was a website that punched out at black people, at women. Even if purportedly as a joke, it didn't stop it being just a fucking cesspit of bigoted shit. It was the start of an internet culture that's seeped out and become an enormous part of real-world culture, where it's cool to act with no empathy, and totally coincidentally that energy is almost entirely directed at non-white, non-straight, non-male people.

I'm not even sure what I'm saying. Fuck me.

idunnosomename

I know there's the whole "don't watch it" thing going round but I'm sorry I need to see what Nazis are doing so I can fucking destroy them so I did. god the worst part is, as you say, but let me spoiler it anyway when he goes back in and shoots the piles of dead bodies for anyone pretending to be dead. That he learnt this from a video game is horrific but not going into the culture war he wants. There's one guy who launches him the first time round and very nearly takes the gun off him but fails, what a hero. Another bona fide trigger warning because this is particularly horribleone woman in the gutter crying for help but he shoots her in the head then runs his car over her Apparently he did drive to the second mosque across town, but Facebook cut his account during his "Gas Gas Gas" drive. And there apparently someone in the mosque managed to get hold one of his firearms and see him off.

NAZI PUNKS FUCK OFF

Urinal Cake

I'll keep my remarks on Pewds etc. short as I too am getting sick of his defenders and detractors. As commentators and intelligence analysts have pointed out ironic racism has been used as an endorsement and cover respectively for violent racists. So far the authorities had no clue on what the attackers were planning apart from some ironic/jokes comments on the internet with the benefit of hindsight. Unless some PKD telepath technology gets developed sensible people are going to have to think carefully of what they say. After all the racist shit Pewds and most of his fans have shown they aren't sensible people. 8chan is not sensible

I'm not sure if this is a war but propaganda has always advocated war from poems, painting, books etc. It only really changed when people saw the devastation in Vietnam and it didn't suit the narrative. That's why I'm wary of people like Ben Shapiro asking people not to watch the video maybe some people should see the video to get a fucking reality check.