Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:42:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Remember lads, subscribe to PewDiePie or Christchurch Mosques Shooting

Started by Urinal Cake, March 15, 2019, 03:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Brendan O'Liddle piece on how this is nothing to do with the right but the fault of the Liberal Elites in 3..2..1..

canadagoose

Quote from: pcsjwgm on March 15, 2019, 08:13:41 AM
Fraser Anning (who attended a far-right rally with neo-Nazis) is by far the worst person in Australian politics, which says a fucking lot when George Christensen, Bob Katter, and bloody Pauline Hanson are still around.
I'd never even heard of him before today, but he's going on my list of biggest arsewipes from now on. What an absolute, solid-gold grade A cunt.

buzby

Quote from: Crisps? on March 15, 2019, 06:43:05 AM
Despite its reputation and popularity for being Middle Earth, NZ is even more gunloon than Australia (the USA of the Southern Hemisphere), with one gun for every four people, and:

"guns with slightly different features but virtually the same function [as "military-style semi-automatic" weapons] can fall outside of stricter regulations. Both police and firearms enthusiasts noted that a rifle could be transformed into a "MSSA" simply by adding a larger-capacity ammunition magazine. [...] Purchase of high-capacity magazines is unregulated and does not require a firearms license". (Guardian)

MSSAs can only be owned in New Zealand if you have a Category E endosement on your firearms licence which requires extra vetting and security checks. MSSAs can be sold as hunting/target rifles (which fall into the standard licence Category A) by using magazines that carry with less than 10 rounds, removal of bayonet lugs and flash hiders and for those based on assault rilfles like AK47/74 and AR15s replacing the free-standing pistol grip and/or folding stock with a non-folding thumb hole stock.

Category E and the restrictions on MSSAs were introduced after the Aramoana massacre in 1990. The restrictions on what categorises an MSSA and the workarounds the manufacturers use to continue selling them under Category A are very similar to the current gun laws regarding 'black rifles' in California and what was in place across the US during the 1994-2004 Federal Assault Weapons Ban.

From the still on the Buzzfeed page, he was using a Hera CQR, which is a German-manufactured derivation of the AR15 fitted with a Category A-compliant thumb-hole stock. Exactly the same model is sold in California:

However, his was fitted with a 40-round extended magazine, which is illegal to purchase on a Category A licence in NZ.

samadriel

Quote from: pcsjwgm on March 15, 2019, 08:13:41 AM
Fraser Anning (who attended a far-right rally with neo-Nazis) is by far the worst person in Australian politics, which says a fucking lot when George Christensen, Bob Katter, and bloody Pauline Hanson are still around.

Don't forget Lleyoncjunt!

Blue Jam

Quote from: Cloud on March 15, 2019, 07:49:48 AM
Fucking hell

Perhaps it's a good idea now to stop dismissing the alt right as a bunch of internet edgelords and see them as the danger that they are. Would be a good idea for alt right figureheads to do what they keep asking Muslims to do and condemn the actions of others of their kind.

Quote from: jobotic on March 15, 2019, 07:52:01 AM
Nothing to do with us. Freedom of speech!

Yep, this will be like MRAs trying to distance themselves from Elliot Rodger at the time of the shootings (before the incels started holding him up as a hero).

I've already seen plenty of Reddit posts expressing sympathy for PewDiePie, along the lines of "I can't begin to imagine how he'll be feeling about this when he wakes up." It's depressing but not surprising that his fans thought of how he might feel before considering how, you know, the loved ones of the 49 people (so far) who have died might feel.

Would it be an overreaction to suggest YouTube pull his channel? I don't know much about him beyond the sad "battle" with T Series and him being one of those screechy gaming vloggers who somehow can't help saying racist things during a "heated gaming moment", but reading other posts here about people being recommended loads of Alt-right stuff has made me wonder if, and how, YouTube can take some responsibility. As we've seen with Milo and Katie Hopkins, deplatforming does work.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Mobius on March 15, 2019, 05:22:48 AM
Anyone who posts on 4chan or whatever is clearly a piece of shit

I don't want to come across like a grandad but I agree

The ramping up of edgy meme schtick comes home to roost. Just horrific stuff all round.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Blinder Data on March 15, 2019, 09:10:20 AM

I still have a Reddit account for cute dog pics, snooker and gaming stuff, but I've been considering deleting it and after today I think I probably will. Every good subreddit on there seems to turn to Alt-right shit eventually or keep getting brigaded by Alt-right types, the dog subs have a bizarre level of drama (though I've seen that in Facebook doggo groups too) and CaB is better for snooker and gaming stuff. The sheer hatred of women so many people there exhibit is frightening too. And the endless transphobia...

biggytitbo

I wonder if in this country we will reflect on the toxic levels of Islamophobia that is normalised and accepted at the very highest level of politics and the media that undoubtedly helps fuel stuff like this, the next time we are creating a massive fuss that someone was a bit rude to Margaret Hodge, or said something badly worded about Palestinian rights?

Soup Dogg

There's a good article by Robert Evans from October about the role played by  4chan, youtube, reddit, meme culture, Milos, Molyneauxs, Sargons etc in radicalizing (or 'redpilling') the contemporary far-right. It's crazy how totally fucking lame these fuckers are. Like the sheer shittiness of their jokes and the eye-rolling, limp-dicked machismo of their rhetoric is incredibly distracting when you're trying to take them seriously as the threats they are.

pancreas

Quote from: Blinder Data on March 15, 2019, 09:10:20 AM

The ramping up of edgy meme schtick comes home to roost. Just horrific stuff all round.

This is what they said about violence in video games and I tend to think there's more to it than that. If it just stayed as a 4Chan fantasy, it might be okay. Probably echoing what Biggy just said, I suggest the normalising of it in public life is more serious. The MSM effectively celebrates or at least ignores white supremacy all over the world. Trump, Netanyahu, Boris, Bolsonaro ... more-or-less taken as a fact of life by the RW media, who spend all their time in a frightful panic about the 'Hard Left'. The 'centrist' Guardian/BBC don't mount a campaign against fascism—they mount a campaign against Corbyn and Maduro.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Soup Dogg on March 15, 2019, 09:35:42 AM
There's a good article by Robert Evans from October about the role played by  4chan, youtube, reddit, meme culture, Milos, Molyneauxs, Sargons etc in radicalizing (or 'redpilling') the contemporary far-right. It's crazy how totally fucking lame these fuckers are. Like the sheer shittiness of their jokes and the eye-rolling, limp-dicked machismo of their rhetoric is incredibly distracting when you're trying to take them seriously as the threats they are.

Brings to mind the Chris Morris quote when he was doing PR for Four Lions - something along the lines of: "Terrorism is about ideology, but it's also about berks."

The wannabe-edgelord scrawlings on the chans read so pathetically but take on a very ominous and disturbing tone when they play out in the real world thanks to someone fuckheaded enough not to get the "joke".

Buelligan

Quote from: Zetetic on March 15, 2019, 07:33:51 AM
I suggest there's also something quite fundamental about dignity thats relevant when considering watching people at the worst point in their lives, shortly before they end, without a robust reason to do so.

Quote from: Moribunderast on March 15, 2019, 06:45:45 AM
It's so sad. The details coming out are distressing and disturbing in equal measure. Shitposting about it on the chans, being egged on and supported... there's a lot to say for the online culture we've created and the excess of trolling and triggering and out-edgying in certain sections of the internet - devaluing empathy and compassion until someone can do something like this while still effectively shitposting via meme during his livestream. It's incredibly depressing.

Absolutely these things.  The Anning thing too.  And the chans and reddit.  We need to turn our backs and stop watching, pull out the plug, go home.  This circus is disgusting and we are contributing if we provide an audience.  Stand up at every opportunity for compassion, even if it costs us something.  The price, if we don't, is beyond all of us.

Blue Jam

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 15, 2019, 09:33:45 AM
I wonder if in this country we will reflect on the toxic levels of Islamophobia that is normalised and accepted at the very highest level of politics and the media that undoubtedly helps fuel stuff like this, the next time we are creating a massive fuss that someone was a bit rude to Margaret Hodge, or said something badly worded about Palestinian rights?

It's amazing that our media is so frightened of a Corbyn government that they're prepared to blow up a massive antisemitism scandal out of nothing, while Boris Johnson still hasn't apologised for his "letterboxes" comment.

Buelligan

In some ways though, this is a distraction. Let's blame this shit on some figureheads we're already comfortably opposed to.  This isn't about Johnson's letterbox-pissing, that's just a symptom, it's about all of us nodding through the idea that some people aren't real.  That it's OK to laugh at terrible things or entertain ourselves with them.  That you can't make an omelette.  It's on all of us.  The time has passed for pointing and looking elsewhere.

Opposed as I am by the antisemitism smear factory, seeing this as an opportunity to whatabout really is fucking depressing.

Crisps?

I don't know how Facebook streaming works, but who are the viewers of crimes that people broadcast live? Is there a page of current live streams that people can randomly click on, or is it just to a particular private group, or to contacts or friends, or what?

If someone is planning to commit an act of violence and people are inciting and urging them on, the latter is an offence even in the US. All I read is Facebook removed his account, and messages/comments from him and others, to what, no other penalty for the posters?

Anyone who incited and/or encouraged his attack (or any other streamed crime) should end up doing time.

Blinder Data

MailOnline is hosting the killer's manifesto as a downloadable document and the Sun has made bloody GIFs from the video

Media orgs can cry me a river, they need regulated to fuck

Cuellar

bgmnts

Some choice comments from a Turkish person I sometimes talk to about this.

Quoteİf these muslims wouldnt die,they would kill the other's as a ISID member at future...
U dont know muslims at all...

And

QuoteI think all muslims are terorist,because they always support anti-humanist ideas. I understand that u dont understand, bc u havent 21 years in muslim country..

Crisps?

At least the Mail and Sun are calling it (in their headlines/front pages) white supremacist (or Australian) terrorism, while at the BBC - next to a small sidebar title about the NZ PM stating "this can only be described as a terrorist attack" - it's still "Mosque shootings" and at the Guardian "Christchurch shooting".

Buelligan

Quote from: Cuellar on March 15, 2019, 10:06:55 AM
PewDiePie fans worried he might be taken off youtube :(

If he has any sense, he'll use his platform to absolutely and unequivocally decry every aspect of this thing and pull the plug himself.

Cuellar

Quote from: Buelligan on March 15, 2019, 10:09:20 AM
If he has and sense, he'll use his platform to absolutely and unequivocally decry every aspect of this thing and pull the plug himself.

Maybe he could pay some people in a third world country $5 to hold a sign saying 'I am sorry :('

madhair60

He should livestream his suicide so I can spam Laugh Reacts when the noose goes taut.

Urinal Cake

In Australia with an election in a few months this is going to change things. The governing conservative party has always dog whistled to racists but now I think -for now- they're going to have to preach inclusivity.
The illusion that Conservatives were morally superior has fallen apart. The first warning was after former conservative Prime Ministers as well as commentators supported convicted pedophile Cardinal Pell and the Catholic Church. Now that we've exported a local redneck to carry out right-wing terrorism a lot of people are going to have to assess who the threat really is.

In that vein I think people who defended Pewds racism or lol ironic racist jokes are going to have to admit that their acceptance of his behaviour -while it did not cause this terror- ignored the very real feelings, issues and consequences minorities are faced with.

idunnosomename

This is like the most terrorist thing imaginable. It's supposed to have maximum exposure and effect. I think this is the turning point where people stop thinking of Islamist terrorism as the "default"

up_the_hampipe

I never really got on board with the argument that comedians and the like should be more responsible for the things they say, in case they are interpreted the wrong way by the wrong people. But PewDiePie recently had to pay damages for one of his fans defacing a war memorial, and now this. It's not his fault, but he's part of this story, so it's time to really rethink the content you put out. He's a personification of 4chan edgelord culture. I've seen a thumbnail of one of his videos where it's Amy Schumer being photoshopped to look really fat, what type of person do you think a video like that is going to attract?

idunnosomename

I mean I don't know enough about pewdiepie beyond how to pronounce his name to argue anything about his content but hopefully he'll shape up a bit after thinking about this. either that or he'll just get worse

Cloud

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 15, 2019, 09:07:29 AMWould it be an overreaction to suggest YouTube pull his channel? I don't know much about him beyond the sad "battle" with T Series and him being one of those screechy gaming vloggers who somehow can't help saying racist things during a "heated gaming moment", but reading other posts here about people being recommended loads of Alt-right stuff has made me wonder if, and how, YouTube can take some responsibility. As we've seen with Milo and Katie Hopkins, deplatforming does work.

I don't know, as yes he's said racist things but even he won't be behind this or endorsed it I wouldn't have thought (unless proven otherwise), the shooter was stirring shit by mentioning him.  I can understand the desire, but to take down his channel over this would 100% make him a martyr IMO and fully ramp up the narrative about the intolerant establishment shutting down 'innocent' people over a shooting they weren't part of.

However, some of the comments on reddit (albeit neg karma ones) are playing the "stirring shit" card to say that we shouldn't criticise sites like 8chan for enabling them because "They(TM) are just trying to sow division between us".  Not having that.  Fucking cretins

biggytitbo

Yes its fun to have an autoplay video of the first part of a massacre on your front page isn't it? Good for clicks.

I'm trying to remember at what point things pivoted, because I'm sure during the George Bush, war on terror era, the kind of right wing we're talking about here, the 'alt-right' I suppose, and 9/11 truthers like Alex Jones, were very defensive of Muslims and were at the forefront of the argument that they were been scapegoated to pursue middle east wars etc. But at some point during the last 10 years or so this has totally changed 180 degrees, for reasons I can't discern.

Pdine

It would be funny if Pewdiepie full-throatedly endorsed this.

Cloud

The alt right are something different entirely,  mostly born from Gamergate in 2014. A bunch of lost, forgotten NEETs angry at the world and thinking Muslims and SJWs are to blame for them being utter losers basically

As much as we cringe at JP (because why not drag another controversial name into it) I'm sort of feeling he may have a purpose when it comes to giving these people an alternative that involves personal responsibility rather than blaming everyone else