Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,399
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:58:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's your cut-off point?

Started by Jockice, March 15, 2019, 07:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

If, like me, you usually use the 'show new replies to your posts' function at what point do you stop reading them? With me it's the 'when did The Simpsons jump the shark?' one. I must have commented on it at some point but I really can't remember what I said and I've probably seen about three episodes of The Simpsons in the last decade, a long time any vicious predator fish were leapt. I'm just not interested.

So anything that ends up below that one ends up unread, even if (as happens in some cases) it's a thread I've recently commented on. I may be missing out on some interesting conversations here but I have to draw the line somewhere. And rules are rules.

poo

No idea what you're on about sorry.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Donald Brexit / Jeremy Trump / Theresa Corbyn and all that. Already well aware it's all fucked.

Ferris

The brexit threads are a gong show - deffo not worth a post.

The worst is dropping in a funny joke (or at least... I thought it was funny at the time...) and you end up with that thread all up in your shit, forever.

The Simpsons thread is a good example. One pissed up post in there and it's on you like herpes, forever (though I'm sure the actual content is great - I just don't read it usually).

the

'Show new replies to your posts' just lists threads that you've posted in (at any time) that have new posts. The suggestion that those new posts are necessarily 'replies to your posts' is a bit wrong.

I think it's just meant to help you keep on top of new activity in multiple threads that you may have a recent interest in. Unfortunately it also shows the same for threads that you contributed to ages ago.

Ferris

Quote from: the on March 15, 2019, 10:31:29 AM
'Show new replies to your posts' just lists threads that you've posted in (at any time) that have new posts. The suggestion that those new posts are necessarily 'replies to your posts' is a bit wrong.

I think it's just meant to help you keep on top of new activity in multiple threads that you may have a recent interest in. Unfortunately it also shows the same for threads that you contributed to ages ago.

Ideally there'd be a thread mute button, but tbh I get so much decent stuff out of CaB (especially now I spend my life staying up and feeding a small infant with a phone in my hand) it seems churlish to complain.

the

If the list was based on an account-based set of preferences then there could be a function to dismiss threads in that list that you're not interested in. But it's not, it's just compiled by the database from a list of contributors to each thread.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: Jockice on March 15, 2019, 07:51:46 AM
If, like me, you usually use the 'show new replies to your posts' function
I have no idea what this is.

Also, I have just noticed there is a PRINT option at the bottom of threads.

Who the fuck is using that.

And SEND THIS TOPIC.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

the

I have pondered that it would be possible (with different board software) to have things like custom feeds and favourites lists.

But TBH that would just propel CaB even more towards being digested like social media, which has already had a deleterious effect on the level of engagement with this place. Plenty of times people just post to threads without reading them (so you get the same point/joke made multiple times), and there is the issue of discussion vs. just listing things/posting a link/picture. People are decreasingly arsed.

the

Quote from: Morrison Lard on March 15, 2019, 10:37:47 AMAlso, I have just noticed there is a PRINT option at the bottom of threads.

Funnily enough I clicked on that for the first time the other day too. Applies a print-friendly stylesheet to the content. (Could be handy if you want to make CaB look like a string of e-mails in an emergency.)

olliebean

If you use the Unread Topics list (Recent or All) and uBlock Origin, you can use the element picker to select the title of a thread you want to ignore and it hides the thread title in the list. If you're ignoring a lot of threads it makes it a lot easier to scroll through the list and pick out the ones you're not ignoring.

I think it'll work in "Show new replies to your posts" as well.

Normally when Biggytitbo starts posting in the thread.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Morrison Lard on March 15, 2019, 10:37:47 AM
I have no idea what this is.

Also, I have just noticed there is a PRINT option at the bottom of threads.

Who the fuck is using that.

And SEND THIS TOPIC.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
please dont get rid of this neil. I get my secretary to print out CaB in the morning for me to read through before luncheon.

Cloud

Depends on how much time I have to kill, but usually go for the 'show unread posts' link.  I come and go from the Brexit threads, depends if there's anything actually going on (such as the past few days) or if it's just page after page after page of people engaged in circular arguments with biggy.

Don't think I've ever bothered with the Corbyn threads - no idea how people can churn out so many posts about him

alan nagsworth

My cut-off point is usually around the same length as the casual dangle of my genitals. Any higher up than that and you're basically wearing denim underpants.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Cloud on March 15, 2019, 12:49:59 PM
Depends on how much time I have to kill, but usually go for the 'show unread posts' link.  I come and go from the Brexit threads, depends if there's anything actually going on (such as the past few days) or if it's just page after page after page of people engaged in circular arguments with biggy.

Don't think I've ever bothered with the Corbyn threads - no idea how people can churn out so many posts about him

They don't as 99% of them are just

Quotepage after page after page of people engaged in circular arguments with biggy

How the same bunch of twerps keep this up over the years is beyond me, any sane person would just accept him and his views and just move on/ignore.

Icehaven

I completely misunderstood this and thought you meant how long would a thread you might be interested in but hadn't yet read have to be before you decided it was too late and you couldn't be bothered. It's about 5 pages for me, unless it sounds really good in which case I'll mix an Old Fashioned, hunker down and slog through it.
Now having answered a completely different question I'll leave.

Mr_Simnock

For me it depends on how interesting the thread is, that one form a few years ago about trying to track down who created an anonymous looking 7 inch single with 'up yaws' on one side was amazing and even if it was 200 pages I would read the lot.

alan nagsworth

Did they ever solve that mystery? That thread was brilliant.

Mr_Simnock

Yes, it was basically Gary Numans backing band that did it (the song is we think about Newman) although I need to go back into the thread when i have time and confirm that.

alan nagsworth

Do it you awwkkwaaard baasstaarddd

Nah I should do it myself really but it's not as easy on my phone at work!

Mr_Simnock

This was as near an admittance as we are ever likely to get

Quote from: Goldentony on October 13, 2010, 05:32:05 PM
Oh hey there everyone - Rrussell Bell of Dramatis/Gary Numan fame upon being asked about Up Yaws a few minutes ago -

QuoteI believe I may have been involved in that particular opus.

Hopefully get a follow up and a bit more info soon.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote'show new replies to your posts' function

Unfortunately the true function of that is "show all posts made after that one of yours"

Dex Sawash

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 15, 2019, 12:47:22 PM
please dont get rid of this neil. I get my secretary to print out CaB in the morning for me to read through before luncheon.

-DJT

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 15, 2019, 03:56:35 PM
Yes, it was basically Gary Numans backing band that did it (the song is we think about Newman)

Did Wayne Knight feel flattered or insulted ?

Absorb the anus burn

Tangerine Dream: Poland......... All great until then.

the

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 15, 2019, 05:27:38 PM
Unfortunately the true function of that is "show all posts made after that one of yours"

Quote from: the on March 15, 2019, 10:31:29 AM

Quote from: the on March 15, 2019, 10:45:43 AMPlenty of times people just post to threads without reading them (so you get the same point/joke made multiple times)

Bryan Cocks

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 15, 2019, 10:30:43 AM
The brexit threads are a gong show - deffo not worth a post

The Brexit thread is still hanging on but the Corbyn threads are a horror show. Just a handful of sanctimonious turds mutually affirming each other and pouring scorn on anyone who disagrees, often quite nastily. Some of them can be entertaining posters elsewhere, but for some reason they disappear up their rear ends when it comes to politics, Corbyn particularly. Definitely the sewer of CaB.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on March 15, 2019, 07:08:44 PM
Tangerine Dream: Poland......... All great until then.

I'm out after 'force majeure'.