Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:38:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hippy bullshit, without all the hippy bullshit

Started by Keebleman, March 15, 2019, 09:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: ToneLa on March 17, 2019, 01:03:50 PM
Aye ceremonies can do one.

Robes though, indispensable.
Does a dressing gown count?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on March 17, 2019, 11:48:30 AM

There was a post on here a while back from someone who was growing all sorts of stuff himself.

< consults user dossier   >

will lick anything- kane jones

Ah, here it is will take any drug- zoysa sorris

thugler

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 17, 2019, 12:24:21 PM
It it involves a ceremony, then it's definitely hippy bullshit.

Perhaps so, but I think the ceremony aspect really is just a way of trying to ensure 'set and setting' remains positive isn't it?

The thought that I was being drugged up by a bunch of mystic woo tossers would put me right on edge.

pancreas

A friend of mine did one of these. Apparently the experience started with standing around in a circle making random noises and then they had to pass a sharing stick around, a thick branch entwined with ivy, while they unburdened themselves and explained why they were going on the journey. I reckon I'd be throwing up long before the ayahuasca ever touched my stomach.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Keebleman on March 15, 2019, 09:20:43 PM
A large section of the book is about the history of psychedelics, and having read it it's hard to conclude anything other than that Timothy Leary et al, with their egos and recklessness, their delight in scaring the 'straights', held back scientific research by decades.

I think you're right, but when you have had the experience, I reckon you will understand why it was so significant to those people.

Regarding the retreat, I'm not sure following someone else's idea of how to take psychedelics is going to give you your best experience. For me, strange music is essential, as well as having people around who I trust implicitly to understand that winding up trippers is not on.

hermitical

Quote from: thugler on March 17, 2019, 01:36:19 PM
Perhaps so, but I think the ceremony aspect really is just a way of trying to ensure 'set and setting' remains positive isn't it?

Yeah, set and setting is very much part of it, also there is generally quite a big thing about honoring the spiritual/cultural side of it, what with it being an indigenous spiritual practice, and, as I understand it, some feel that that side of things are integral, and extracting the 'medicine' from its roots is problematic (much like there is a debate about mindfulness being divorced from Buddhism). Of course, it's pretty out there doing something like that in the UK and I struggled with some of the hippyness of those few days.

One of the speakers at Breaking Convention was a Dutch (I think) psychotherapist whom I imagine was in her late 60s, possibly older. She'd been using LSD in her practice since the 60s - as of course it was back then.

hermitical

Quote from: pancreas on March 17, 2019, 03:10:35 PM
A friend of mine did one of these. Apparently the experience started with standing around in a circle making random noises and then they had to pass a sharing stick around, a thick branch entwined with ivy, while they unburdened themselves and explained why they were going on the journey. I reckon I'd be throwing up long before the ayahuasca ever touched my stomach.

Yikes, I got off very lightly then.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Foggy Buntwhistle on March 16, 2019, 09:33:54 AM
I've tried quite a few things. I would say they can definitely bring about positive results but that they're certainly no panacea. It's also worth taking into account that dependant on your own inherent psychology they can also seriously fuck your shit up.

My only real advice would be to start small and work your way up, dip your toes in, see how your body and mind react to the substances and if you feel you want more intense experiences then start to ramp it up.

It's possibly to have the most beautiful, profound and even mystical experiences on psychedelics. It's also possible to send your "self" into some pretty scary places.

Set and setting is common sense really, as someone above said a lab for me wouldn't really be the ideal situation but if you feel more comfortable doing it there then go for it ay.

I'm rambling a bit now but for me one of the most rewarding aspects of pouring funny chemicals into my brain pipes was the relief of coming back down to baseline, an appreciation of everyday human consciousness, the ability to make a cup of tea or take a piss without questioning the very nature of your existence or what a cup of tea even is etc.

At the same time when you're being brain fucked in the nether realms by morphing fractal crystalline dmt insecto-snakes as your whole being vibrates that can be quite something too.

If you are feeling the calling to try these things I would proceed, but with a bit of caution. Some psychedelic experiences are intense as all fuck mate. Don't know the details but that retreat thing could well be a good introduction.

And to echo gib up there, trees and sky and friends are all good things as well. Now that I think about it so are comfy sofas and warm rooms. Each experience is different.

Long rambly post soz.

LOVE & LIGHT BROTHER! ;)

This is a good post.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: pancreas on March 16, 2019, 02:33:35 PM
I've had to come to accept that psychedelics are a Bad Thing for me in anything like serious dosages. As soon as I notice the time-dilation, I try to monitor it, find it all flinging out of control and my mind bent into knots in the meantime. I'm then stuck in a loop in which everything is the same, and similarity is difference, and the whole thing just rolls around and around for ever in tedious fractal-like complexity, all amplified by my unwillingly doing maths on it.

e.g. \Lim_{x\to \infty} 1/x=0 is the source of much horror.

The thing is, it's a blast when you surrender to it. I like wondering what the time is, looking at the clock and realising I've no real idea what the time I'm reading off it means.

Quote from: hermitical on March 17, 2019, 03:24:14 PM
there is generally quite a big thing about honouring the spiritual/cultural side of it, what with it being an indigenous spiritual practice hippy bullshit.

hermitical

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 17, 2019, 03:32:10 PM
there is generally quite a big thing about honouring the spiritual/cultural side of it, what with it being an indigenous spiritual practice hippy bullshit.

"It's just sitting there with what feels like a lead weight of evil menace in my stomach"

Not exactly crystals and kaftans....

Johnny Yesno

It's a long time since I've seen it, but this episode of Extreme Celebrity Detox had Tony Wilson taking Ayahuasca:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/extreme-celebrity-detox/on-demand/38511-003

IIRC, the shaman hinted that the spiritual side of things was bullshit.

Quote from: hermitical on March 17, 2019, 08:12:57 PM
"It's just sitting there with what feels like a lead weight of evil menace in my stomach"
Just like the time I took part in a chilli eating contest.

ZoyzaSorris

Looks like we've got a Rational WIKI editing guerrilla skeptic in our midst who could do with a good propelling through a cosmic orifice or infinity + 1.

Yes, as Dex alludes to, a real interest of mine. Was terrified of psychedelics after a couple of absolutely existentially apocalyptic bad trips as a youngster courtesy of LSD (as well as some mildly disturbing mushroom experiences). But then a few years alter I had a life-changingly positive couple of brushes with ayahuasca (it's not a drug - it's a drink) in the middle of the Ecuadorian rainforest - a long time before it was popular I would hasten to add, ya ya. Felt it healed a lot of gaping psychological wounds from a traumatic adolescence.

I didn't touch such things again for many years (except for some minor recreational mucking around for the brief summer of love when it was legal to buy fresh psilocybe cubensis from guarana bars and the like) until tragedy hit my life again with a vengeance and I started looking into it all again. Now it was easy to buy your own on the net and didn't have to travel to Ecuador. DMT offered all the reset effect of psychedelics without the lengthy duration, so even if it goes horrific you at least won't be trapped something very difficult for half an eternity (it might just seem like it). I made my own ayahuasca, which turned out to be much stronger than anything I had in Ecuador, and was downright terrifying. Felt decent afterwards though, maybe just relieved that I was still alive.

Basically, as has been suggested already, with psychedelics, set and setting are crucial - hence the difference between my guided ayahuasca ceremony and doing it on my own in a front room in London. Both gave me a nice lengthy afterglow but one was a much more troublesome psychological experience than the other, because I had noone to guide me. The whole thing is about getting your brain into receptive and malleable states after all. 

I wouldn't do a strong long-lived psychedelic experience on my own, I don't think. DMT (because it is so short) and microdosing, yes.

The guidance or therapy is the main event really, the psychedelics just offer the gateway to the often inaccessible frontiers of the brain where the work needs to be done.

I am quite excited to be joining a study into psilocybin therapy soon!

hermitical

Is that the Carhart-Davis one?
I hope it goes well :)

thugler

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on March 18, 2019, 08:59:40 AM
Looks like we've got a Rational WIKI editing guerrilla skeptic in our midst who could do with a good propelling through a cosmic orifice or infinity + 1.

Yes, as Dex alludes to, a real interest of mine. Was terrified of psychedelics after a couple of absolutely existentially apocalyptic bad trips as a youngster courtesy of LSD (as well as some mildly disturbing mushroom experiences). But then a few years alter I had a life-changingly positive couple of brushes with ayahuasca (it's not a drug - it's a drink) in the middle of the Ecuadorian rainforest - a long time before it was popular I would hasten to add, ya ya. Felt it healed a lot of gaping psychological wounds from a traumatic adolescence.

I didn't touch such things again for many years (except for some minor recreational mucking around for the brief summer of love when it was legal to buy fresh psilocybe cubensis from guarana bars and the like) until tragedy hit my life again with a vengeance and I started looking into it all again. Now it was easy to buy your own on the net and didn't have to travel to Ecuador. DMT offered all the reset effect of psychedelics without the lengthy duration, so even if it goes horrific you at least won't be trapped something very difficult for half an eternity (it might just seem like it). I made my own ayahuasca, which turned out to be much stronger than anything I had in Ecuador, and was downright terrifying. Felt decent afterwards though, maybe just relieved that I was still alive.

Basically, as has been suggested already, with psychedelics, set and setting are crucial - hence the difference between my guided ayahuasca ceremony and doing it on my own in a front room in London. Both gave me a nice lengthy afterglow but one was a much more troublesome psychological experience than the other, because I had noone to guide me. The whole thing is about getting your brain into receptive and malleable states after all. 

I wouldn't do a strong long-lived psychedelic experience on my own, I don't think. DMT (because it is so short) and microdosing, yes.

The guidance or therapy is the main event really, the psychedelics just offer the gateway to the often inaccessible frontiers of the brain where the work needs to be done.

I am quite excited to be joining a study into psilocybin therapy soon!

Could you compare your experiences on dmt to the ayouasca you made? Is it more/the same  intensity just with a shorter length?

I always think 'one day...'

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on March 18, 2019, 08:59:40 AM

I'm glad it worked for you as a therapy. However, I have to emphatically disagree about therapy being the main event of consuming psychedelics. In my experience, LSD and psilocybin are fine as a recreational experience. They will change your understanding of your perception irrespective of whether you are unwell. Not everything has to be given the veneer of respectability offered by medicalisation.

José

Psilocybe Tampanensis truffles aka philosopher's stones, 10-15 grams. chop them up finely and fold them into an (already cooked, still warm) omlette (should mask the bitter taste) consume then go out into nature (on a nice day preferably) with someone you trust.

there's a knack to avoiding a bad trip and that's to surrender yourself entirely to the flow, bend with it. don't allow yourself to become stuck in place. if you're thinking becomes circular find a distraction (nature's full of them, that's why you're outside). if things become overwhelming remember the peak will pass sooner than you think and the tail end of the trip is much more manageable (kinda like being nicely stoned).

or you could have LSD injected into your eyeballs in a flourescent lit academic setting like some kind of frankensteinian autismatron i guess?
though i can't imagine that having much therapeutic value beyond becoming a "russian sleep experiment" style creepypasta to scare away a case of the hiccups.

assuming of course you're not put in the control group and given a placebo.

Twed

Quote from: José on March 20, 2019, 09:13:44 AM
Psilocybe Tampanensis truffles aka philosopher's stones, 10-15 grams. chop them up finely and fold them into an (already cooked, still warm) omlette (should mask the bitter taste) consume then go out into nature (on a nice day preferably) with someone you trust.
Heat kills psilocybin. You don't want to incorporate them into cooking (even 'warm'), just eat the tiny things. They taste like mushrooms.

Quote from: José on March 20, 2019, 09:13:44 AMthere's a knack to avoiding a bad trip and that's to surrender yourself entirely to the flow, bend with it. don't allow yourself to become stuck in place. if you're thinking becomes circular find a distraction (nature's full of them, that's why you're outside). if things become overwhelming remember the peak will pass sooner than you think and the tail end of the trip is much more manageable (kinda like being nicely stoned).
This is why I stopped after three intense trips. Similarly to pancreas, I can't let go or stop analysing the flow of time or accept that I haven't fucked my brain permanently. I am so glad I did all that stuff though, and glad I took the really high dosages that I did. Incredible euphoric highs, punishing lows, and effects that would sound like they were made up for a dumb movie if I described them.

There's a bit by the fool Terrence McKenna where he describes a standard trip, and how he could freeze his vision and turn it into the style of any painting he liked just by thinking about it. That happened for me, except I could also do it in four dimensions.

Obviously it's just my brain telling itself it can do that, but wow it was good.

José

Quote from: Twed on March 20, 2019, 04:52:06 PM
Heat kills psilocybin. You don't want to incorporate them into cooking (even 'warm'), just eat the tiny things. They taste like mushrooms.

yeah "heat" not warmth, you're not going to nerf your trip by holding them in your hand or eating them in summer. your mouth, esophagus and stomach are also warm btw, assuming you're alive.

Quote from: Twed on March 20, 2019, 04:52:06 PM
They taste like mushrooms.

nah thai cubensis, liberty caps and truffles all taste like shit and chewing/choking them down is a chore. infact even raw siitake or portabellos don't taste that great. remember we're talking about a "normal" person here not some hugh fearnley whittenstal looking vegan prick who subsists on rat turds he finds by the riverbank.

oh yeah and you'll fart like a fucking beast. nobody ever warns you about the shroom farts.

ToneLa

Ah make truffle tea. It is super, duper effective. Aye, you don't boil, you warm a pan with them in water. Decant to mug, teabag. No milk, no sugar, but honey. Have wanted to boak with dry truffles and this is a nice way around it.

Robbed this off that Internet. Can't be arsed grinding though.

QuoteGrind the dried mushrooms until they achieve a powdery consistency. Set aside.
Put water into a pot. Place the pot on top of a low flame and wait until it simmers.
Remove the pot from the flame.
Add the powdered mushrooms and let it steep for 5-10 minutes. Strain the contents and transfer the shroom water to a teacup.
At this point, the mushroom tea is ready to drink but you can throw in a teabag to enhance the flavor.
Stir the tea gently.
Your shroom/truffle tea is now ready! You can add some sugar or honey to taste.

NoSleep

Adding them to citrus juice should do the trick, too. I've mixed them with oranges/lemons/lime into a smoothie. Leave to stand for half hour and the psilocybin is broken down to psilocin (which is what your body does anyway). This should speed up the peak and intensity.

José

you want to be careful mixing psychoactive substances with orange juice. my brother did this once and now he thinks he's a glass of orange juice. i also think he's a glass of orange juice. i have two glasses of orange juice sitting here and one of them is my brother and the other (if drank) will likely turn me into a glass of orange juice also. making *counts on fingers* two glasses of orange juice and one empty glass. there's also the very real possibility i choose poorly and drink my brother.

like i said, be very careful.

NoSleep

The odd weather (hot February followed by recent heavy rain) seems to have started mushroom season early. Just out the front of my place I've spotted a couple of Panaeolus Cinctilus today (not the ones below but looking similar).

bgmnts

Eat them.

Eat them raw.

Film yourself eating them raw.

NoSleep

Sadly I could find no more but they will make a nice little microdose and I'm fan-drying them for later on (after maybe a few more pop up).

Keebleman

My Magical Mystery Tour has been put on hold.  I should be on the bus to Amsterdam right now, but I've had a stomach bug for over a week and the retreat recommended that I postpone my, er, trip to some time later in the year.

Don't think I've posted this before, but here is a 30 minute documentary about the very place where I'll be going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHNP-vXuo4Q&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2emv1XMrmY2n3uDV8E9UjBX975dAZPB8IL-kAPsee1WVbcFP3k5gE2dOM

There's a lot of hippie posturing in it, a lot of incense and hugging, but I was pleased, and relieved, to see that the facilitators' attitude is grounded pretty firmly in reality.  They are careful not to make any unequivocal statements about the potential benefits of psilocybin, nor do they downplay the dangers.  The varying responses of the participants, filmed two weeks afterwards, are very interesting.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 19, 2019, 06:59:18 AM
I'm glad it worked for you as a therapy. However, I have to emphatically disagree about therapy being the main event of consuming psychedelics. In my experience, LSD and psilocybin are fine as a recreational experience. They will change your understanding of your perception irrespective of whether you are unwell. Not everything has to be given the veneer of respectability offered by medicalisation.

No, absolutely, I'm sure they can be fully worth doing for their own effects alone, I was purely talking in a medical sense, that in that context they are a means - a tool to open up the hidden workings of the mind and allow ingrained paths to be examined and reset - rather than an end in itself