Author Topic: Love, Death + Robots (Netflix Animated Adult Sci-Fi Shorts)  (Read 346 times)

Love, Death + Robots (Netflix Animated Adult Sci-Fi Shorts)
« on: March 15, 2019, 09:56:03 PM »
Second Netflix thang produced by David Fincher.  Only watched the first few so far, but it seems really promising so far. It's got the feel of flicking through an old Metal Hurlant or 2000AD comic, just like how you'd be likely to read a heavy Dredd or Strontium Dog adventure then move straight onto Alan Moore's sci-fi teen comedy spoof D.R. and Quinch, the first two episodes have a visceral alien deathmatch being followed by one about three quippy robots perusing through a dead world and misunderstanding what they see.  Animation's alright for 3D shite (always thought 3D animation looked like the world as seen through the eyes of a demented plastic surgeon).  It's pleasantly surreal and niche stuff from the 'flix.  Give it a go.

https://www.wired.com/story/love-death-and-robots-review/

Blue Jam

• St. Bastard's in Knucklesford
Re: Love, Death + Robots (Netflix Animated Adult Sci-Fi Shorts)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 10:32:37 PM »
Just watched the first four. It's very influenced by video game design isn't it? I felt like I was watching a series of cutscenes, waiting until my controller started responding again and I could finally play...

Found it a mixed bag so far. The first episode had some lovely character design but a bit too much gratuitous British swearing (just like video games with British characters going "bloody" and "bugger" and "bollocks" all the time). Episode 2 had a nice Wall-E feel to it and more lovely character design, great script and performances too, my favourite so far. 3 was a little bit Deus Ex but also a bit Wipeout, the design felt a little dated. 4 was a bit cartoonish and Fallout 4, I struggled to stay with that one.

I'm sucked in though, will stay with it.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 10:35:31 PM »
I half liked the first one, some of the dialogue is dodgy and there's some pretty average acting going on but it was interesting enough to keep me watching for a while.

Just watched the first four. It's very influenced by video game design isn't it? I felt like I was watching a series of cutscenes, waiting until my controller started responding again and I could finally play...

I thought that too, the animation was okay but it wasn't anything amazing.

Blue Jam

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 10:41:27 PM »
I thought that too, the animation was okay but it wasn't anything amazing.

The first one looked a bit Dishonored 2 at first, with the posh eccentric with the cane, and a bit Titanfall 2 with the sweary Cockney woman pilot. Nice design of the Pacific Rim kaiju-type characters (they were a bit Dead Space too) but as you say, nothing amazing.

The way these episodes keep reminding me of specific games is distracting but also quite interesting to note, so I'll keep watching.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 10:48:00 PM »
They literally got a bunch of different game studios to do the cut-scenes (Dishonored 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Overwatch, Destiny 2 etc.).  I hope they write one for Oddworld Inhabitants in s2.

Blue Jam

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 10:52:30 PM »
They literally got a bunch of different game studios to do the cut-scenes (Dishonored 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Overwatch, Destiny 2 etc.).

Arkane (Lyon) did the first one? I thought I recognised their stamp on it...

Blue Jam

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 10:56:18 PM »
On episode 5 now. Not really into this one. The big creature with the nob just reminds me of Crazy Frog.

Blue Jam

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 11:03:45 PM »
I hope they write one for Oddworld Inhabitants in s2.

Rupture Farms would be a great setting, that would be ace.

Just watched the yogurt one. Nicely "False Teeth From Beyond The Stars" but it just fizzled out, and they missed a trick there- "What if it goes... off?"

For all my criticism this is all very short and sweet and watchable.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 09:28:13 AM »
One thing is I think we should be referring to specific eps by name, as they don't play in the same order for everyone. Or if it's the same order it's a random starting point or... something.

Saw 3 robots, the Witness, Sonnie's Edge and Alternate Histories so far. I'll definitely keep going. Some of the visuals are stunning, but I don'tt know if I can handle so many different takes on Edgy Cyberpunk Future Grit in quick succession without it wearing out its welcome, so will try and spread them a bit.

Tag: The AniNetflix

surreal

• The monkey and the plywood violin
    • toosurreal.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 09:37:04 AM »
The stories are mostly from famous SF writers I think - the first one is from a Peter F Hamilton collection, there are a couple of Alistair Reynolds in there also, John Scalzi, Joe Lansdale, Ken Liu.

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 12:01:58 PM »
I knew they’re a couple of Reynolds in there not that there are some based on other writers’ stories. Netflix would be a good place for a proper SF anthology series based on short stories as there are some great ones out there.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 09:46:56 PM »

I watched the 2 Joe Lansdale ones, Fish Something and the other one about a junkyard.

SteveDave

• My LPs are still for sale in all good record shops
    • BUY BUY BUY
« Reply #12 on: Today at 01:36:41 PM »
My wife was watching one of these when I came in last night. Something about a fat man turning women into robots.

It just strengthened my belief that anime is for perverts and should be banned.