Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:13:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Love, Death + Robots (Netflix Animated Adult Sci-Fi Shorts)

Started by Sin Agog, March 15, 2019, 09:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: Mister Six on March 27, 2019, 05:24:56 PM
To save you the trouble: the two characters are caught in some kind of time loop; the woman he kills at the start is the same woman who sees him through her window. When she kills him, she looks outside and sees him watching her commit a killing. The implication is that there will then me another chase that mirrors the first, ending in him killing her - and looking out of the window to see her again, resulting in it starting all over again.

The main difference being that he manages to keep his clothes on throughout the thing.

Sin Agog

Netflix creators get the same memo as everyone at HBO: "Either put some nudity in the first five minutes, or eff off to Amazon." It did make watching The Little Prince with my nephew more awkward than it should be.

Mister Six

Quote from: olliebean on March 27, 2019, 05:32:21 PM
The main difference being that he manages to keep his clothes on throughout the thing.

Oh yeah, the nudity and the (weirdly mild, given the clothing) S&M stuff is ridiculous and unnecessary, and I suspect probably down to the spods who made this thing wanting to render some CGI muff for the first time in their careers.

Dex Sawash

To save you the trouble: the two characters .

Figured I just missed recognizing a face due to looking for spunk stains and bare nipples

Gregory Torso

I just watched all of these today. It was a bit liquid TV, wasn't it, a bit tharg's future shocks. I suppose that I'm not the target demographic, some of this was like watching someone else play a boring computer game. I hate the ones that look almost real, the uncanny valley ones, where don't quite blink quick enough and move their arms a bit weird around.

I liked the more abstract ones, like the prehistoric fish acid trip, and the one where the artist bloke turns himself into a roomba.
I really hated the one in the cave with the monster - that had some exruciating dialogue in particular and looked like it had been drawn by a child. The other one I thought was rubbish was the lucky spaceship, what was point.
The others were just forgettable, although some nice visuals. Good lord, the dicks and tits swinging around everywhere, though.

Anyway, reckon I'm too old and too disinterested in computer games to really be into this, although I do like anthology stuff and I am glad Netflix is putting stuff like this out. 14 year old me would have loved this, I think.

Alberon

Considering they've adapted some short stories by some of the leading lights of modern science fiction (such as Alastair Reynolds) I think they've come out pretty badly.

Zima Blue was the best and even that one felt rushed. A lot of the rest just felt puerile. A lot has happened since the Heavy Metal film.

Dr Syntax Head

To save you the trouble: the two characters are caught in some kind of time loop; the woman he kills at the start is the same woman who sees him through her window. When she kills him, she looks outside and sees him watching her commit a killing. The implication is that there will then me another chase that mirrors the first, ending in him killing her - and looking out of the window to see her again, resulting in it starting all over again.

Pretty much Triangle.

I liked the one where the spaceship goes through the wormhole and they end up in the wrong part of space and it goes a bit IT with a attractive old flame instead of clowne. Really nice to look at and the shots of the 'real' space ship in that big web type thing was genuinely creepy to me. Cosmic arachnophobia or something.

mothman

I've just watched the series over a few days and largely agree with what has been said so far. I didn't even recognise the title of the Peter F Hamilton one, it was only when I recognised the plot I realised what it was.

Conversely, I'm not sure I've read either of the two stories by Alastair Reynolds. I think they're both in an anthology of his called Zima Blue, but now I'm wondering if I ever actually read it. I'll have to put it on my Kindle and try it (again?).

But if it gets people interested in both writers, and Scalzi and Marko Kloos, with a view to adapting more of their stuff, then so much the better. I gather Scalzi's Old Man's War series was optioned but I've no idea what's happening with that.

The Kloos story ("Lucky 13")... it's one if only a few short story spin-offs from his Frontlines military SF series, which is actually really good. It's a shame this adaptation isn't all that, but then the original short story was a bit meh to begin with.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Gregory Torso on April 07, 2019, 09:05:37 PM
I just watched all of these today. It was a bit liquid TV, wasn't it, a bit tharg's future shocks. I suppose that I'm not the target demographic, some of this was like watching someone else play a boring computer game. I hate the ones that look almost real, the uncanny valley ones, where don't quite blink quick enough and move their arms a bit weird around.

I liked the more abstract ones, like the prehistoric fish acid trip, and the one where the artist bloke turns himself into a roomba.
I really hated the one in the cave with the monster - that had some exruciating dialogue in particular and looked like it had been drawn by a child. The other one I thought was rubbish was the lucky spaceship, what was point.
The others were just forgettable, although some nice visuals. Good lord, the dicks and tits swinging around everywhere, though.

Anyway, reckon I'm too old and too disinterested in computer games to really be into this, although I do like anthology stuff and I am glad Netflix is putting stuff like this out. 14 year old me would have loved this, I think.

I'm pretty cynical about this type of stuff. But I did enjoy many of these...the Secret War particularly for the atmosphere if not the cliched plot. Those 3 robot ones with its post-millennial observational "humour" can fuck off.