Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:47:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Turn Up Charlie

Started by Custard, March 16, 2019, 11:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

So this new "comedy" series just landed on Netflix, in 8 episodes.

Mrs Custard is, seemingly like most women, a fan of Idris Elba, who is the star, so we thought we'd give it a fair go.

It's excruciating stuff. Possibly the worst sitcom I've seen in years. Terrible dialogue, half arsed performances, really unlikeable characters, and worse still, amazingly unfunny. I think we have averaged one half hearted laugh per episode so far, and we're five in (it's been a slow night)

Here's the bunf:

Turn Up Charlie (2019)

"Charlie, a struggling DJ and eternal bachelor is given a final chance at success when he reluctantly becomes a manny to his famous best friend's problem-child daughter."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8304498/

It all comes across as a massive vanity project for Elba, who likes to let everyone know he's a DJ and really quite musical all the time in his real life, so he's like a pig in shit here.

He can't do comedy. He's not even very good at the acting bits. And everyone else is so terrible it's amazing Netflix didn't tell them to stop fannying about and go back and do the real show.

There's a bit where Idris has a shag, and then makes sure she goes on about how huge his willy is afterwards. No attempt at a joke. He's just got a massive ding dong everyone

It's proper car crash stuff, and I highly recommend it.

PlanktonSideburns

Watched the trailer. Wife said 'that looks bad. Looks very noisy'

Custard

It's very noisy, and obnoxious. And really stilted. You can almost see the actors reading the lines. Really stunningly bad

One of the 3 Non Blondes (remember them?) plays his Auntie Lydia, and the character is one of the laziest stereotypes of an African woman I've seen on TV

He was in The Wire!

magval

A fucking manny, is it now?

Twed

McFlymo

Feels like an ITV thing.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

It's not right, is it ?

Also: " Manny". Fuck Off.

Custard

A woman in it adds him to her phone as "Sexy Manny"

How we laughed!

petril

magval

Exactly, Manny already has a comedy meaning.

jsgibble

This was a bit disappointing having loved In the long run, but thankfully there's going to be a second series of the latter