Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:01:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - Episode Four

Started by TJ, March 04, 2005, 03:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of this episode?

Great
41 (24.3%)
Good
44 (26%)
OK
45 (26.6%)
Poor
27 (16%)
Terrible
12 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Voting closed: March 11, 2005, 03:31:19 PM

alan strang

Quote from: "arqarqa"Personally I'd've been more worried about who chose the Floyd track.  Maybe that worked for you?

No, I'm just wondering why all these Nathan Barley discussions keep leading back to Roger Waters.

QuoteDon't quote me though.

Oops, just have. Sorry.

Edit: Better joke...

j00t

I enjoyed it.  However I had someone with me tonight who knows a bit about direction and they were very much not impressed (they felt it was the weak point).   I laughed at the cat and the selfish cunts parody, didn't find Nathan's dance too Brentish 'cause he was half good, but I  missed Jonatton Yeah?.  Laughed quite a lot.  Nathan's hair only worked because it had paint tin lids in it.  Felt the Japanese TV bit was borderline, it's so much more acceptable to take the piss out of Scandinavians or the Welsh these days. In summary: Could be better but far from shit.   I look forward to the next episode.

no_offenc

There's lurkers in the slsk room wondering why we all call each other cunts, apparently.  Lovely!

A bit boring, but I liked Pingu having a laugh at Nathan's expense. And you thick cunts comparing this to The Office. Are you gonna see 9/11 piss-taking in Gervais's next pile of crap 'comedy'? Stick to the Daily Telegraph, or the Nationalist, you mainstream fuckwits.

Purple Tentacle

Or the Daily Mail, conformists!

Darrell

The bank scene was identical to the Angus Deayton-cameoing bank scene in If You See God Tell Him, albeit with all the jokes taken out.

Utter, utter, utter piss. Had I not been simultaneously murdering 'I'm Looking Through You' on the guitar, I may have lost the will to live.

Actually, thinking about it, that's a bloody appropriate song!

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "arqarqa"Personally I'd've been more worried about who chose the Floyd track.  Maybe that worked for you?

No, I'm just wondering why all these Nathan Barley discussions keep leading back to Roger Waters.

I'll have a think about it.  An ex SAS guy with big muscles usually advises to take the longest path when I hear trickling though.  He's also my paperboy.  You're probably reading far more into this than was intended.

EDIT: common sense

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

So where were these 'details' Alkarim Jivani promised us?

V

I was a bit disappointed that the ending led to NB being taken as a style-god in Japan. I was expecting it to be just a couple of people videoing him talking Nonce Sense and then exposing him, leaving him feeling even lower.

mayer

The "9-11 pisstaking" really offended me. You never got stuff like that in The Office or The Good Life. I watched it and my gut wrenched. I thought it too close to the bone and very daring,

Disgusted,

Tunbridge etc.

It was alright. I laughed out loud at the cat bit, and the "no" for the clippers. That was it though.

Dusty Gozongas

Laughing is yesterday.  Folded arms is the new whatever needs to complement the po face.

Rise of the idiots?  Hmmmm... Mire of the last people to get the joke more like.

Try a different chair or the neighbour's telly or sommat if you don't see it yet.  

yet

yet

yet

yet

JesusAndYourBush

I said it last week and I'll say it again -  It just gets better every week.
I watched the whole episode with a smile on my face.

Oh, anyone got a screencap of the Japanese writing on the end bit.  It all went too fast for me to really take notice of it and I wanna see if there was any interesting messages when it's translated.

alan strang

Quote from: "arqarqa"I'll have a think about it.  An ex SAS guy with big muscles usually advises to take the longest path when I hear trickling though.  He's also my paperboy.  You're probably reading far more into this than was intended.

I'm not reading anything at all into anything you say ever.

Following on from the "I'd love a Babysham" amusements two weeks ago, I reckon Dan Ashcroft should have left the hairdressers under the caption "Time for a sharp exit? Time for a cool sharp Harp."

thatmuch

Vapid predictable farce. Run of the mill comedy of errors. I suppose it's more popular than previous episodes because it's got 'jokes', though not very good ones.
The American woman character wasn't bad and was quite well acted - otherwise I don't believe in any of the characters, given the absence of Jonaton Yeah?
How many people watching would have heard of 'Selfish Cunt' (I hadn't)?

Qunt

if this wasn't a Chris Morris project, everyone would be saying, "wow, this is refreshing, it's pretty well fucked up and out there". Ultimately it is funny in some bits, and it is well shot, and it's certainly better and more original than anything else that's been on channel 4 for the last few years.

I've got to say, after a rough road in, I now quite like it, and can appreciate the work that's been put into it. Yes, I know, it's not Brass Eye, but then what is, how can you get to that level again? If you've alreay produced stuff like that in your twenties, you aint gonna improve, so best just deal with it and try and improve channel 4's inevitably weak schedule.

For me it's a good effort, better than Jam, which was weak, being kind. It's a kind of colourful, intrigueing, slightly odd end to the week, and I know it's the same for most of you. You think, it's Nathan Barley time again.....I'm not sure it'll be fucking hilarious or great, but I know I'll watch it, it'll be a bit odd and ultimately it'll keep me entertained for half an hour in a kind of brightly-coloured, weird car-crash way.

It's a tough call, but it does feel like everything's in slightly brighter contrast when Chris Morris is involved.

imitationleather

The next episode looks a bit depressing.

Rev

Quote from: "Qunt"if this wasn't a Chris Morris project, everyone would be saying, "wow, this is refreshing, it's pretty well fucked up and out there".

Bollocks.  Absolute horse-puckey.  If it wasn't a Chris Morris project, I doubt that many of us would have bothered watching it after the second episode  Even if the credits were blanked out, it would still be a poor series.

I did enjoy the cat, though.

TJ

Quote from: "alan strang"That was 'Breathe In The Air' by Pink Floyd wasn't it?

No DVD release, then...

Qunt

Quote from: "Rev"
Quote from: "Qunt"if this wasn't a Chris Morris project, everyone would be saying, "wow, this is refreshing, it's pretty well fucked up and out there".

Bollocks.  Absolute horse-puckey.  If it wasn't a Chris Morris project, I doubt that many of us would have bothered watching it after the second episode  Even if the credits were blanked out, it would still be a poor series.

I did enjoy the cat, though.

two things I love about your post, it takes my quote out of context, given what I wrote after that, and you've done the usual cop out of saying "but I liked....though"

what's horse puckey?

Quote from: "Rev"If it wasn't a Chris Morris project, I doubt that many of us would have bothered watching it after the second episode

I completely disagree because if you were to view this series without the Chris Morris cloud hanging over it, you would think it was pretty fucked up. I didn't say it was necessarily amazingly funny, and I'm not sure it's aiming to be. I also didn't say it was amazing generally, I just said it was different/refreshing to see something like it, and that is true, I've not seen anything of a similar ilk coming out of channel 4 lately. Like I said, it's moments like the barber shop scene that I watch it for. A great little stand-alone sketch which is fucking hilarious, and I'm glad i watched it for that alone.

Given the recent record of channel 4 maybe I've come to expect less, I dunno. All I'm saying is compare this to something like Max & Paddy or The Friday Night Project and you start to see where I'm coming from. Which would you rather watch?

NobodyGetsOutAlive

A couple of good bits tonight making it the best episode so far, but still not a great one by any means, sadly. The whole plot seemed so thin and it still had that typical way of ending where you feel a bit cheated that not more has happened. The barber scene and the shop scene made me laugfh a fair bit though.

It's growing on me.

Enjoying the depicted fragility of cool (dependent on the suspension of belief): nicely mirrors the critical wrestling on this board ("it's genius", "it's crap", "it's genius because it's crap that people think is genius", "it's crap because it thinks it's genius because it's crap that people think is genius", "meh").

Liked that the bag-on-head look was accepted as high-chic, whereas the geek-pie (sans arrogant self-belief) elicited such exaggerated ridicule. Cat-scissors interaction and clippers-refusal seemed funnier for seeming out of place (non-satirical).

I'm used to coming on here on a saturday to face a thread twice this length, are we even getting bored of saying its shit now? (I missed it again, will tape the repeat though)

The Duck Man

No doubt this was "the joke" (didn't make me laugh) but Nathan's hair looked far better without bag than with it.

Hmmm...

Still, a bit out of all-out dislike towards Nathan by Dan and Pingu, which is progression, I suppose...

jutl

Three laughs for me - ignored nervous breakdowns, cat, terrorist song. The rest of it was still unaccountably lazy and under-written, with the spasmic direction trying to fill the gaps in the plot. I mean, why does Nathan have to explain the haircut to the guy who, he thinks, invented it? How much script consultancy does it take to knit together a fucking ridiculous hole like that?

Anyway, this one was good enough to look like the worst episode of some quite good series, instead of the best episode so far of the series in question.

Good show, definitely a programme worth watching.

The cat bit made me laugh, didn't understand why a handbag on the head was acceptable but then the geek-pie caused total humiliation (I thought the geek pie was a pretty cool hairdo)? 'Peace and fucking' is my new catchphrase.

Also loved the spoof "puma" ads that seemlessly slipped into the commercial break.

poor fool

it was brilliant again.

c'mon - who's with me?

Qunt

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Qunt"

Given the recent record of channel 4 maybe I've come to expect less, I dunno. All I'm saying is compare this to something like Max & Paddy or The Friday Night Project and you start to see where I'm coming from. Which would you rather watch?

I'd rather watch something genuinely good.

I don't understand why everyone in the cinema laughed at Nathan's hair when, comapred to all the other shit that goes on in Hosegate, it wasn't especially ridiculous.

But anyway, one good joke about an impaled cat is enough for the whole series to be re-evaluated apparently.

I had another Nathan Barley dream last night. Chris Morris was holding auditions for the final scene in the series - people had to come in and pitch their idea. My suggestion was that a deranged Dan could chase Nathan in a combine harvester screaming 'Ha ha, I'm reaping the Barley!'. Morris grinned and said 'Nice one - well Wanda.'

rjd2

Quote from: "mayer"
It was alright. I laughed out loud at the cat bit, and the "no" for the clippers. That was it though.

I agree the best episode so far but still quite weak that that it only only contained two half funny moments.