Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:58:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Can someone explain what EDM means?

Started by Icehaven, March 17, 2019, 10:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

Quote from: popcorn on March 23, 2019, 11:24:15 PM
I can, for the record, do anything and rap at the same time. I'm rapping as I type this post.
On Christmas Eve, you should rap as you wrap presents.

Rapping squared.

a duncandisorderly

I did a little re-wiring job for a mate of a mate- some custom electronics he'd built for a major-label act who were embarking on a european tour, & he'd forgotten to make these boxes work on 220V instead of 110V. so they end up in my (then) g/f's kitchen, lids off, & I do the necessary & take pictures of the guts & of voltmeter readings, then someone from the tour-manager's office sends a car to collect them. being a broadcast engineer, & being versed in music technology & sound-engineering, I recognised the boxes as being the components of an A-B changeover system for 24 channels of audio, that is to say 24 channels into one side, 24 into the other side, & a load of relays to swap from one set to the other.
he explained, when I sent him the pics, that this was to sit between a master & slave pro-tools rig, & that the band relied heavily on this for their stage show.

"so they're miming, pretty much?"
"couldn't possibly comment!"

black-eyed peas, that was. but I suppose at least with this tech they could replace the pro-tools track(s) with whatever they felt like doing live (vocals, for the most part, I'd imagine) & do a different mix each night, to suit the venue. I've seen acts in my own genre who bring one synth & noodle around over an actual undisguised CD player, right there on the stage. this is disappointing, as most fans of 'berlin school' electronica expect to see a massive moog modular system, or at least a gesture in that particular arms-race. since our first trip to the US, which necessitated it, we've prided ourselves on getting the most out of a very small set-up, but we haven't used a backing tape since 1994, & that was for one gig when we knew we hadn't room for anything but a revox (1/4" tape deck) & two keyboards. & when we finished our playback piece, we were asked to carry on for another hour with just the two keyboards.

I can see the logic, with some artists, & at a certain audience size... fuck-ups would be uninsurable. but it's disappointing all the same. I saw madonna at wembley in 1990 (for professional reasons) & she was singing roughly half of the set, when her dance moves permitted. it was seamless. I don't know if anybody even notices these days. & with EDM, I'd reckon it's almost impossible to tell... even when tom jenkinson busts out a real bass, how many people can tell if he's really playing?

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 31, 2019, 02:15:22 PM
jesus fucking christ that's poor.

I know, I bet it's not even the real Col. Sanders.

a duncandisorderly

Viero_Berlotti