Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:48:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dads Army Remake

Started by Tony Tony Tony, March 17, 2019, 04:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

imitationleather

I wonder if we will see a repeat of the curse of Dad's Army and they will all die within the next hundred years.

Twed

If you squint that's quite realistic.

Glebe

Twed

Eldon's the one who breaks the illusion if anything.

Replies From View

Quote from: Twed on March 17, 2019, 06:51:26 PM
Eldon's the one who breaks the illusion if anything.

He does.  He forever bursts out of everything he's doing.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Replies From View on March 17, 2019, 06:54:56 PM
He does.  He forever bursts out of everything he's doing.

Except his George Martin impression, for some reason.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 17, 2019, 07:00:39 PM
Except his George Martin impression, for some reason.

Yes, and to such an extent that he doesn't look anything like Kevin Eldon at all during that sketch. A remarkable transformation.

Alberon

Traditional tag for Dad's Army remake threads <tag>Do you think that's wise, sir?</tag> But having said that this will be using the orignal scripts so it should fare better than the recent film.

Re: Kevin Eldon, I suppose we look out for him more than most, that's why he sticks out. I'll be interested to see how well he does in the role, though.

finnquark

Fuck me that's grim. I'd imagine there'll be an upsurge in footfall at the fantastic museum in Thetford.

Replies From View

Are there recordings of the audio for these episodes out there, or are they fully lost apart from the scripts?

Lost, but they did recreate them for the Dads Army Radio series which were re-recordings.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Replies From View on March 17, 2019, 09:42:01 PM
Are there recordings of the audio for these episodes out there, or are they fully lost apart from the scripts?

There's audio for one of them, and it was recreated as animation, but is only available when buying the series on download. It's floating around.

Harry Badger

I thought Bernard Cribbins was playing Godfrey?

Alberon

Quote from: Harry Badger on March 18, 2019, 12:44:33 AM
I thought Bernard Cribbins was playing Godfrey?

He had to step down due to 'personal reasons'.

Jittlebags

Hope that doesn't mean he's been 'cancelled'.

Bad Ambassador

More likely the 90-year-old wasn't up to the long periods of standing up without his stick. He's been looking a little wobbly for a few years now. Maybe he thought it was going to a be a radio version where he could do it all sitting down.

Timothy West looks absolutely spot on as Godfrey. I can't imagine Cribbins as him at all.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on March 17, 2019, 09:52:08 PM
Lost, but they did recreate them for the Dads Army Radio series which were re-recordings.

The radio adaptions did differ a fair bit from the television series, particularly with the cast - Lowe, Le Mesurier and Dunn were the mainstays, but other platoon members varied. One consequence is that lines from the TV version were said by different characters. Some supporting characters were played by difference actors (and I was listening to one episode the other night and would swear Lavender was playing another character in addition to Pike; which also happened in It Sticks Out Half A Mile) so lines can be performed noticeably different. Plus, there's three different takes on Walker.

There were changes to the script, which I feel were more marked than other radio adaptations of sitcoms. There was some stuff about script alterations on the recent Gold documentary, such a two television episodes were combined to make one radio episode.

Jittlebags

Awesome stuff there from I_S. Is there a 'secondary' cast of vicar, verger and ARP warden?

koeman

I've always liked to think Colin Bean was at all the radio recordings, standing in the background not saying anything.

Quote from: koeman on March 19, 2019, 04:19:27 AM
I've always liked to think Colin Bean was at all the radio recordings, standing in the background not saying anything.

Is there anyway I can 'like' this.

One of my favourite things about Dads' Army is the second and third rows. Sometimes, rarely, they corpse but most of the time, they are absolute pros. You get the same faces from the middle of the series onwards.

RIP Private Desmond, we barely knew ye

Norton Canes

Bah... thought this was BBC, and it might pave the way for Doctor Who missing episode remakes.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: A Hat Like That on March 19, 2019, 09:06:30 AM
Is there anyway I can 'like' this.

One of my favourite things about Dads' Army is the second and third rows. Sometimes, rarely, they corpse but most of the time, they are absolute pros. You get the same faces from the middle of the series onwards.

RIP Private Desmond, we barely knew ye

My eye is always drawn by the extremely bald man in the second row, the who seems to repulse even the concept of hair.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 19, 2019, 09:50:51 AM
Bah... thought this was BBC, and it might pave the way for Doctor Who missing episode remakes.

Without the original audio for such Doctor Who remakes would it still feel right?

Norton Canes

If I had to choose between the original audios for a missing story existing and someone making a live-action remake then I'd go for the audio every time. But given that we do have all the audios, I don't see any harm in making studio versions too.

This goes for any series, not just Who.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 19, 2019, 01:07:52 PM
If I had to choose between the original audios for a missing story existing and someone making a live-action remake then I'd go for the audio every time. But given that we do have all the audios, I don't see any harm in making studio versions too.

This goes for any series, not just Who.

So basically you love remakes of stuff.

NurseNugent

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 19, 2019, 11:10:08 AM
My eye is always drawn by the extremely bald man in the second row, the who seems to repulse even the concept of hair.

That'll be Hugh Cecil who turned up in lots of things, he's one of The Transylvanians in Rocky Horror and he's in a Young One episode as well.

Quote from: NurseNugent on March 19, 2019, 07:13:02 PM
That'll be Hugh Cecil who turned up in lots of things, he's one of The Transylvanians in Rocky Horror and he's in a Young One episode as well.

Blake's 7 (TV Series)
- Ultraworld (1980) ... Menial (uncredited)

that made me lol.

metaltax

Quote from: NurseNugent on March 19, 2019, 07:13:02 PM

And, of course, The Armando Iannucci Show as well!