Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:34:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the most excruciatingly boring prolonged period you've endured?

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, March 17, 2019, 10:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epic Bisto

Jockice

thraxx

Quote from: MidnightShambler on March 23, 2019, 02:05:03 PM
I used to play football on a Sunday morning and be back home for about 1pm. The only things on the 4 channels were omnibuses, politics, God-bothering and Little House On The Fucking Prairie, which was kind of a mix of the other three I suppose. Honestly, until the Italian football came along a few years later there was just fuck all to do and nowhere to go, as you say with the Sunday openings being what they were you couldn't even go to the pictures.

Christ, what a backward fucking country we were. Thing is, nobody was happy being like that, so why did it take so long to change? Typical British procrastination I suppose but even so it took fucking ages. I hate sounding all old fashioned but people who have never known the world without the internet don't know how lucky they are, it was absolutely shit.

There was loads to do even in surburbia back then if you tried: bin diving round the back of Bejams, throwing bricks at the cunts in the rowing club; Chuck a trolley of the multi-storey car park; 'playing' I.e. pressing buttons randomly on the very basic public information (sort of ceefax) computer on the town hall; hiding in the small void under the bridge and shouting 'monkey lips' at those passing over you. If you stayed inside you were screwed but there was a whole world of mischief out there and people to annoy.

Sebastian Cobb

Skint between uni summers. Moved into a house with no broadband. Mates were back home and the few still around were working as much as possible to have some cash or pay off overspends. Didn't feel like doing anything constructive like reading. I think I bought a cracker but x set. That bit was alright actually.

José

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 17, 2019, 10:18:03 PM
Back in my forces days I was posted to a new base with 2 others and moved into a 4 man room in an accommodation block with them on a Friday. We had no TV, no radio, no reading materials, no money to get a taxi anywhere (the base was 6 miles from the nearest town: Yeovil) and this was 22 years ago so no smartphones. It was the most incredibly taxing 48+ hours of my life and even with the company it was maddeningly dull.

Someone from Milton Keynes will be posting the entirety of their life in this thread no doubt.

christ. there's only so many times you can play soggy biscuit before you start spaffing blood.

Paul Calf

The high point of "'Western' 'culture'" was between 1994-ish and 2000-ish. We had the internet but it had not yet turned the entire world into a boring cuntfight.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: thraxx on March 25, 2019, 11:22:05 AM
There was loads to do even in surburbia back then if you tried: bin diving round the back of Bejams, throwing bricks at the cunts in the rowing club; Chuck a trolley of the multi-storey car park; 'playing' I.e. pressing buttons randomly on the very basic public information (sort of ceefax) computer on the town hall; hiding in the small void under the bridge and shouting 'monkey lips' at those passing over you. If you stayed inside you were screwed but there was a whole world of mischief out there and people to annoy.

Fucking hell, rowing clubs and multi-storey car parks?? You grew up in a very different place to me mate!

I'll concede that there was a lot of mischief to be had if you wanted it, phoning an operator from the phone box (was it 192 you rang? 100 maybe?) and saying 'operator operator tell me quick, how many hairs have you got on your dick' passed the time on many a weekend afternoon.  I can't remember the one about how many hairs has she got on her fanny, which is a shame.

Endicott

thraxx

Quote from: MidnightShambler on March 25, 2019, 12:17:29 PM
Fucking hell, rowing clubs and multi-storey car parks?? You grew up in a very different place to me mate!

I'll concede that there was a lot of mischief to be had if you wanted it, phoning an operator from the phone box (was it 192 you rang? 100 maybe?) and saying 'operator operator tell me quick, how many hairs have you got on your dick' passed the time on many a weekend afternoon.  I can't remember the one about how many hairs has she got on her fanny, which is a shame.

Yeah, but there was two pikey houses round where I lived and I lived in one. Rowing club just needs a river you know and a couple of aspirational people and they had to put up with frequent attacks from the likes of us for their hobby. I'd forgotten about 100! The other thing you could do was pick up those green phone cards and see if they had any credit on, they had tiny ridges on that kept the count, and do proper funny phone calls. The pleasure of getting one with a few minutes and randomly phoning and saying rude words down the phone to them.

nero

The trans-Mongolian train journey from Ulanbaator to Moscow.
I haven't told anyone else this. According to social media the journey was 'life-changing' and I really 'found myself.'

Nola Carveth

Now is pretty excruciating. Never-ending monotony. Waiting. Not in control of my own timescale. Constant headaches. Constant fractured sleep and tossing and turning. Restless legs. Feeling like I'm on the tail-end of an acid trip 24/7 (ie: when all of the best part has finished and you're left feeling irritable and dirty).

I could go on, but whinging becomes excitingly boring very quickly.

samadriel

Quote from: Z on March 17, 2019, 11:30:39 PM
For several months as kids we had to visit an old spinster aunt after her cohabiting spinster sister died every Saturday.

To die once is unfortunate; to die every Saturday smacks of carelessness.

thenoise

Quote from: nero on March 27, 2019, 01:20:41 AM
I haven't told anyone else this. According to social media the journey was 'life-changing' and I really 'found myself.'

Going on holiday 'travelling' alone really is excruciating. Those people that love it are either exceptionally sociable or they are lying. I mean, over 50% of 'travelling' is waiting about isn't it? Unless you have the right company that's going to send you fucking nuts, and it won't take long either.

Just spend the summer playing video games, copy someone else's gap yah story on your CV.

Alberon

I had a summer once when my ZX Spectrum was broken. It took several weeks to get it repaired and I'd wait anxiously for my Mum to get home each day hoping against hope that when she'd been to the shop it was fixed.

28 I was!

Actually the most boring period was 2004 to 2012.

Most tedious eight minutes of my life.

Jockice

Quote from: thenoise on March 27, 2019, 08:11:35 AM
Going on holiday 'travelling' alone really is excruciating. Those people that love it are either exceptionally sociable or they are lying. I mean, over 50% of 'travelling' is waiting about isn't it? Unless you have the right company that's going to send you fucking nuts, and it won't take long either.

Just spend the summer playing video games, copy someone else's gap yah story on your CV.

I've travelled (well been on holiday really but I didn't stay in the same place) on my own several times and really enjoyed it. Now video games are something I really do find incredibly boring.

Each to their own and all that. But I am right.

Kalabi

I think one of the worst for sheer time dilation was being stuck in a car park at the Download festival, waiting for a mini bus for four hours with a a group of twenty somethings who talked about nothing but Pokemon, including presumably hilarious Pokemon related jokes.

Made me realise I was not as nerdy as I thought I was though.

Cuellar

Spending a hungover day in Cong, Ireland, after a wedding, waiting for our early evening flight home.

Fuck all to do, nowhere to just lie down which is all I wanted to do. Endless purgatory. Then, mercifully, it ended.

Jockice

Quote from: Cuellar on March 27, 2019, 10:17:01 AM
Spending a hungover day in Cong, Ireland, after a wedding, waiting for our early evening flight home.

Fuck all to do, nowhere to just lie down which is all I wanted to do. Endless purgatory. Then, mercifully, it ended.

Talking or Ireland, one of the perks of my old job were press trips/freebies where you'd get taken away somewhere with a load of other journalists, shown around and then you had to write an article about it. They varied in quality but were usually worth going on. And that includes the one in which several people - including the organiser - pulled out at short notice and I (along with a very gay, very stroppy fellow journalist) ended up being shown round people's gardens in France (as the other journo said: 'My mum's garden is better') by a 19-year-old intern who had never done that sort of thing before. Luckily we all saw the funny side. Eventually.

But I once got offered one to a newish holiday place in Cork. Within a few minutes of meeting at the airport I realised that I was the only journalist in the group. The rest of them worked for the company that owned the resort, most of them knew each other, they were there for a jolly and didn't want anything to do with a regional press hack. I spent most of that trip either sitting in my room or wandering around on my own. I didn't write a particularly good review.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: nero on March 27, 2019, 01:20:41 AM

I waited at Vilnius station for 4 hours for a train to Minsk, only to be told in no uncertain terms (well, broken English/Russian/Belarusian) by a guard when it arrived that if I got on it and made it to to my destination I'd be put in a Soviet nick for at least a week, fined a grand and then deported. You can only get a visa if you fly in, apparently. So I didn't bother.

But I'd been updating Facebook all day about how great Minsk was going to be and how much fun I was having being behind the iron curtain in winter with a pittance in the bank. I lied every day straight for a month.

What's Ulanbaator like by the way?

JesusAndYourBush

Icehaven

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 17, 2019, 11:13:02 PM

And: Might not sound bad but once I was a bbq where everyone was talking about their mortgages and interest rates for an entire hour, while I sat there thinking about all the ways I'd like to kill myself.

Oh that reminds me of the wonderful night I spent in Leeds visiting a friend who'd moved there from Birmingham about 6 months before so now had a whole new social circle I didn't know. About 5 of them came over to his for drinks and they literally spent the entire night talking about a few holidays they'd all been on together, making it impossible for me to participate in the conversation. My friend hadn't been on these holidays either but they were his friends so he had a rapport and in-jokes and so on with them so he could still talk to them, and he was busy hosting anyway so was flitting in and out of the kitchen and topping up drinks. They weren't even making any effort to make it interesting or funny either, it was just literally ''Ohhhh, remember when Max fell in the pool and then he...'' ''Oh yeah the inflatable penis! And then remember the next day we had those cocktails'' ''OH Yeah!!'' and so on for like 4 fucking hours. I don't think they were being deliberately rude, just totally inconsiderate, and by the sounds of it a few shared holidays are all they had in common with each other anyway if that's all they've got to talk about. Still, it was incredibly dull.

Jockice

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 17, 2019, 11:13:02 PM
And: Might not sound bad but once I was a bbq where everyone was talking about their mortgages and interest rates for an entire hour, while I sat there thinking about all the ways I'd like to kill myself.

A very middle-class and a few years older than me friend once invited me to her housewarming do at which the entire conversation among the guests was about whether the living room ceiling was straight or slightly tilted. I didn't even bother taking my coat off.

QDRPHNC

Being at a party where everyone except you owns a dog they just talk about dogs.

QDRPHNC

Cuellar

Oh yeah, boxing day lunch with brother's girlfriend's family. Christ fuck. Too much boozing pre Xmas led to a heightened tolerance/distaste for drinking so couldn't even get ratted to get through it.

And going to work every day. That's been going on for YEARS.

maett

A train ride from Gorakhpur to Bombay. It took over 2 days and a fuckwitted friend had only bought seat tickets despite being told to buy bed/sleepers(this also meant no meals)  by myself and the another mate. Two old Indian blokes entered the cabin before the train departed and immediately stripped down to vests and pants and started to eat boiled eggs. It was them that broke the news that we didn't have beds and were going to be sitting up for 50 odd hours. Of course the boiled eggs kicked in later, they got off after a day. The carriage had a shared squat toilet that was in a terrible state after a few hours.
The 3 of us had already been travelling together for a month and had little to share during what was without doubt the most unpleasant and boring period of my life.
Same train ride is now only one day and 6 hours. Flying to Perth Australia was a fucking breeze compared to that shit.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jockice on March 27, 2019, 10:35:52 AM
But I once got offered one to a newish holiday place in Cork. Within a few minutes of meeting at the airport I realised that I was the only journalist in the group. The rest of them worked for the company that owned the resort, most of them knew each other, they were there for a jolly and didn't want anything to do with a regional press hack. I spent most of that trip either sitting in my room or wandering around on my own. I didn't write a particularly good review.

A resort in Cork? Fucking hell. It's a very nice city from what I saw, ruined by a dickhead workaholic boss when I was sent there, but pretty regardless. The only sensible thing to do in a resort there would be to leave and take in the city. Any more than a long weekend would be pushing it though, it's pretty not massive.