Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:40:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the most excruciatingly boring prolonged period you've endured?

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, March 17, 2019, 10:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 27, 2019, 11:40:26 PM
A resort in Cork? Fucking hell. It's a very nice city from what I saw, ruined by a dickhead workaholic boss when I was sent there, but pretty regardless. The only sensible thing to do in a resort there would be to leave and take in the city. Any more than a long weekend would be pushing it though, it's pretty not massive.

I didn't even see the city. It was a holiday village on the outskirts. Luckily the thing only lasted about three days but it was still incredibly dull with nobody there making the slightest attempt to make me feel welcome. I'm still not sure how I ended up as the only journalist on it anyway. Even the shittest press trip on offer usually attracts several hacks wanting to get away from the office/family life for a few days.

Mind you it doesn't compare to the sheer horror of the one to Holland where I took my girlfriend at the time just at the point when we genuinely couldn't bear being in each other's presence and she deliberately set out to fuck the entire thing up not only for me but everyone else on the trip. But that's another story.

thenoise

Work is proper gay. Basically getting paid to be bored all day? Who voted for this shit and how do we get out of it? Fuck Brexit this is far more important.

bollocks

second year at uni. lost all the friends i had in the city i moved to in on fell swoop because my brother had just had a very messy breakup with one of them. start of second semester, student finance made an admin error and revoked my tuition fees. suspended from uni for 4 months while i repeatedly complain, by which point i had missed all assessments. had to spend the summer teaching myself everything i missed in time for resits.

would also nominate insomnia

Bazooka

I've just started a new job yesterday, I'm sitting here with nothing to do, too many people around though to go and hide and sleep. Also day 2, can't rock the boat yet.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Bazooka on April 12, 2019, 09:38:40 AM
I've just started a new job yesterday, I'm sitting here with nothing to do, too many people around though to go and hide and sleep. Also day 2, can't rock the boat yet.

I hate this limbo. You can't do anything because you don't know enough basic day-to-day stuff to be able to apply your guesswork and experience, you don't want to pester people too much and often they're too busy to help you and you also don't want to just sit there doing nothing. It usually lasts at least a fortnight as well.

thenoise

At my parents' house I was basically forced to listen to a whole episode of the Archers, in silence, and without my phone to fiddle with.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thenoise on April 12, 2019, 10:02:34 AM
At my parents' house I was basically forced to listen to a whole episode of the Archers, in silence, and without my phone to fiddle with.

I used to get packed off to my grandparents for the weekend semi-regularly in the early 90's. They had no VCR.

Daytime weekend telly was shit in them days, either football or rugby on at least one channel and a piss poor western. Grandad would fall asleep to the rugby then wake up and kick off if you changed the channel. The evenings were worse as they used to watch ITV bollocks like Strike it Lucky and Blind Date. I used to stare at pages of the Argos catalogue.

Bazooka

Always a western on in the afternoon, no other genre got a look in, despised having to endure them as a youth, wouldn't mind now.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Bazooka on April 12, 2019, 10:24:37 AM
Always a western on in the afternoon, no other genre got a look in, despised having to endure them as a youth, wouldn't mind now.

Yeah I think that's my stance as well. When I channel hop now it seems worse, apart from when Columbo's on.

Quote from: Bazooka on April 12, 2019, 10:24:37 AM

My feelings too. After spending my entire youth not following the western my dad would inevitably be watching, I'd actually like to see a couple of them now. I wonder if many of them will ever be shown again? Must've been thousands in the vaults.

Rizla

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on April 12, 2019, 01:34:49 PM
My feelings too. After spending my entire youth not following the western my dad would inevitably be watching, I'd actually like to see a couple of them now. I wonder if many of them will ever be shown again? Must've been thousands in the vaults.
TCM is wall-to-wall westerns during the day, proper ones like Shane and How the West Was Won. Film4 will do you some Sergio now and then.

MidnightShambler

There's is still always a western on, somewhere. My dad is recently retired (at 76, fair play to him) and when he gets his telly time after Loose Women it's straight to The Old West. It's usually a B-picture on Movies4Men with an minor actor like Barry Sullivan or Richard Boone. He loves them though, I quite like it actually, it probably reminds him of being a kid. He grew up in Bootle in the 1940s which was absolutely flattened so he had fuck all to appreciate other than bomb-sites. Going to the pictures and seeing the American plains must have been like being on another planet for a bit.

Not that my mum is arsed about childhood escapism, she just stands by the door now and again asking him when he's going to get off his arse and do some jobs round the house until he snaps.

shh

Being taken as a child one Sunday morning to a mass said in Irish (in SE London). The horror.

Ferris

Quote from: shh on April 12, 2019, 08:55:10 PM
Being taken as a child one Sunday morning to a mass said in Irish (in SE London). The horror.

Mrs Ferris dragged me to Easter mass when we were visiting Montréal, because she told her mum we would go. Each line of a full mass in French, then in English, then in Latin. With a hangover. As a fairly stringent atheist. On holiday.

petril

Bazooka

Quote from: MidnightShambler on April 12, 2019, 08:42:26 PM
There's is still always a western on, somewhere. My dad is recently retired (at 76, fair play to him) and when he gets his telly time after Loose Women it's straight to The Old West. It's usually a B-picture on Movies4Men with an minor actor like Barry Sullivan or Richard Boone. He loves them though, I quite like it actually, it probably reminds him of being a kid. He grew up in Bootle in the 1940s which was absolutely flattened so he had fuck all to appreciate other than bomb-sites. Going to the pictures and seeing the American plains must have been like being on another planet for a bit.

Not that my mum is arsed about childhood escapism, she just stands by the door now and again asking him when he's going to get off his arse and do some jobs round the house until he snaps.

My Dad also retired loves Loose Women (I bet he does etc)