Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:17:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad food you miss

Started by madhair60, March 18, 2019, 01:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Just got a flash of craving for the awful cheese pizza they used to do at my secondary school canteen. Have you ever desperately wanted something that isn't even that good?

Sebastian Cobb

Chicken Kievs.
Mr Brains Pork Faggots.

Icehaven

metaltax

Quote from: icehaven on March 18, 2019, 01:47:28 PM
Crapsy Pancakes.

You can still get original Crispy Pancakes in Asda. Don't be fobbed off by those new things in Sainsburys; they're foul.

Twed

Quote from: madhair60 on March 18, 2019, 01:46:47 PM
Just got a flash of craving for the awful cheese pizza they used to do at my secondary school canteen. Have you ever desperately wanted something that isn't even that good?
Also school pizza. There was a special kind with a special kind of hot dog on that seems to only be supplied to 90s secondary school caterers.

The chicken soup was really good too, with crumbly bits of weird brown chicken in it. Ball-shaped. I used to dip my fries (they were not chips) in the soup which contributed to me appearing a bit odd. I knew I shouldn't do it but it was too delicious to resist.

Looking at the menus of my old schools now it's a health food bonanza. Poor bastards.

Quote from: icehaven on March 18, 2019, 01:47:28 PM
Crapsy Pancakes.
This is what came to mind when I saw the topic title.

Chollis

Icehaven

Quote from: metaltax on March 18, 2019, 01:54:29 PM
You can still get original Crispy Pancakes in Asda.

Know where I'm going on the way home from work. Has to be the minced beef and onions ones too, and I must burn my mouth on the filling.

Clownbaby

There's some crappy little maize puffs called Happy Snax which I really like and can't seem to get at the usual newsagents that had them. They are at the Jaybees tat shop in Silloth but I'm not going all the way to Silloth every time I fancy Happy Snax

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 18, 2019, 01:47:19 PM
Mr Brains Pork Faggots.

To this day I still miss the beef faggots.  They never did bring them back after the BSE business, despite promises that they would.  The pork ones are still available, though, and I see that a lot of butchers have started doing their own again as well.

Findus cheddar cheese Crispy Pancakes.  The three cheese one that replaced them years ago was never as good, and the generic "cheese" flavour from the the relaunch a couple of years ago was even worse.

The pre-sweetener UK full-fat Dr Pepper.  In fact that goes for all soft drinks I liked that now no longer have a full-fat full-sugar choice.

The Knorr Thai green curry recipe kit.  Fuck me, I was addicted to those for the best part of a year and probably had at least one a week.  But they were about a million calories per serving, which is the main reason they stopped doing them.

Clownbaby

I swear I saw Mr Brains beef faggots in Carlisle Morrisons just last Friday.  Is it a regional thing or something? I am 99% sure they still exist. It could have been the pork ones though

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Chollis on March 18, 2019, 01:56:38 PM
you can still buy chicken kievs

nobody stipulated the food needed to be discontinued did they?

the

Quote from: metaltax on March 18, 2019, 01:54:29 PMYou can still get original Crispy Pancakes in Asda.
Quote from: Chollis on March 18, 2019, 01:56:38 PMyou can still buy chicken kievs

People are saying that they crave these things, not implying that they're no longer available.

Edit: as above

Clownbaby

I think people are just thinking cause it says "bad food you miss" that it implies the food is hard to get hold of/discontinued and that's why they miss it

pancreas

Can you still get alphabites? I can't remember if I liked them or not.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Roy of the Rovers/Irn Bru bars. You could actually see the crystals of citric acid impregnated into each bar, and almost feel the microns of tooth enamel dissolving with every bite. Wonderful stuff.

Sebastian Cobb

^ Wham bars too.

I went through a lazy phase of making burritos with a tin or two of Stag chilli and some tortillas. They were ok.

Every so often I have to talk myself out of buying a Fray Bentos.

Clownbaby

In the Woolworths sweet bit there were some little pink nougat bars with a see through wrapper that had a really distinctive texture and sugary coconut taste. I think about them a lot. Haven't found anything like them since. I smashed the fuck out of those when I was 5.

Chollis

Quote from: Clownbaby on March 18, 2019, 02:10:17 PM
I think people are just thinking cause it says "bad food you miss" that it implies the food is hard to get hold of/discontinued and that's why they miss it

that, yeah

Emma Raducanu

Vesta chicken supreme. There was nothing more comforting then mother lovingly warning one of these in the microwave for me and enjoying it in front of Ken and Deidre.

riotinlagos

Quote from: Clownbaby on March 18, 2019, 02:04:03 PM
There's some crappy little maize puffs called Happy Snax which I really like and can't seem to get at the usual newsagents that had them. They are at the Jaybees tat shop in Silloth but I'm not going all the way to Silloth every time I fancy Happy Snax

Love these too but so elusive. They've appeared once in the pound shop up here but never again. It's also potluck how many bags of each flavour you'll get (my order of preference for your records: Spicy Tomato, Onion, Cheese, Salt and Vinegar).

Quote from: pancreas on March 18, 2019, 02:11:30 PM
Can you still get alphabites? I can't remember if I liked them or not.

Birdseye brought them back quite recently, wish they'd do the same with the fritters they used to do an'aw.

I remember Golden Wonder's Cheese and Onion used to be amazing until around the mid-90s when they changed the flavour and ruined them, likely because they were trying to make them taste more like Walkers to compete.

Chicken McNuggets tasted better when they had the dark meat in them as well.

Icehaven

Quote from: Chollis on March 18, 2019, 01:56:38 PM
you can still buy chicken kievs

Can you still get Bernard Matthews Mini Kievs? They're another one for me, haven't had them in about 20 years, apart from cold at buffets and that's NOT THE SAME.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Clownbaby on March 18, 2019, 02:07:34 PM
I swear I saw Mr Brains beef faggots in Carlisle Morrisons just last Friday.  Is it a regional thing or something? I am 99% sure they still exist. It could have been the pork ones though

According to their own website (which I see no longer exists), no.

The beef ones were in the all-red packaging, the pork ones have always been in the yellow-morphing-into-orange packaging.

Maybe buzby will know the full ins and outs - he's a a bit of an amazing Rain Man when it comes to these (and many many other) things.

Fruit Toffo. I get constant cravings for them, even though they haven't made them for about 15 years now. Mouth's watering just thinking about them. Bastards.

Shit Good Nose

Ooh - the Daloon catering veggie and minced lamb curry spring rolls (only available in yer cash and carries, but now available nowhere).  The ones you can buy in the general supermarkets are completely different (oven cook for a start, whereas the catering ones were deep fry).  They were absolutely terrible for you - everything on the nutrition graphic well into the red - but by god were they tasty.

Not sure if you can still source them direct from Daloon, but they don't appear to have an online shop or anything.

jobotic

You can still buy Wham bars, they're just half the size. (That's not a joke about George Michaels's demise, they really are).

Spam Fritters

Not really, fucking rank.

Chollis

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 18, 2019, 02:36:57 PM
Fruit Toffo. I get constant cravings for them, even though they haven't made them for about 15 years now. Mouth's watering just thinking about them. Bastards.

Good shout. Underrated, were Toffos, at least by my circle of cunt friends as a 7 year old.

Fruit ones have disappeared off the face of the earth, but it looks like the Gulf states are still lapping up the original, the bloody nutters!

http://www.nestle-family.com/toffo/english/products/toffo_992374.aspx

Rizla

When they changed the Irn Bru recipe due to the sugar tax and folk went mental (stockpiling "full fat" Irn Bru, selling crates on ebay etc), I though what a load of S4C. Because what annoyed me was that all the other Barr products had suffered the same fate years before, replacing sugar with aspartame to save money at the expense of drinkability, to no fanfare whatsoever. Only Irn Bru and Barr Cola were still all-sugar, yet Limeade, Red Kola, American Cream Soda, all the fun ones, were fucked in the ground and no cunt noticed but me. Fuck off, Barrs.

bgmnts

Quote from: madhair60 on March 18, 2019, 01:46:47 PM

That was just cardboard with melted cheddar on it if I remember.

I miss Freddos. Out of my price range nowadays

Quote from: Chollis on March 18, 2019, 02:48:30 PM
Good shout. Underrated, were Toffos, at least by my circle of cunt friends as a 7 year old.

They were proper unfashionable with the kids. They kept the Mackintosh branding right up to the end which suggests their core market demographic was pensioners.

Dex Sawash

I quit eating meat a year ago and I miss dashing in to a fast food place and coming back out 90 seconds later with a bag full of cheeseburgers for a few dollars. Don't miss cheeseburgers so much as I miss warm, fast, cheap, convenient and not entirely carbohydrate food.