Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:46:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad food you miss

Started by madhair60, March 18, 2019, 01:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

There's a potential sequel to this thread when everyone runs out and buys the missed foods (well the still extant ones anyway) then comes back to report how rank they now find them. I did this with those microwave Chicagotown pizzas recently. They were a treat when I was at uni as they were pricey but boy did I love them, then had one a few months ago, sodding vile they are.

Had a similar experience with Ice Cream Chewitts when they brought them back on a limited run in B&M stores up north. My girlfriend loved them when she was a kid back in Latvia so we bought a ton of them in the B&M in Barrow In Furness during a Lake District holiday.

Absolutely disgusting. Chucked most of them away.

Buelligan

Applewood smoked cheddar.  Chips.  I don't miss them, as such, but you've made me think of them now.

idunnosomename

They made great ant traps. Made one at home during an ant invasion at school (bit weird in retrospect they used us kids in some sort of craft competition instead of pest control but there you go) with an old ice-cream tub with pipe-cleaner ladders and Ice-cream chewits and golden syrup and mine was like a ant death camp.

Horrific.

I was became death, destroyer of ants

bgmnts

Chips, I suppose. Chippy chips, specifically.

Especially the chips in the chippy just one village down.

Best chips i've had in my life, to this day.

Loaded with grease and probably gross to most people but I love em.

Buelligan

Yeah, there was a chippy like that in my life.  Late at night when it's raining and you're a bit sick from empty-stomach drinking, taking the chip cure.  Nothing to beat it.

bgmnts

Fuuuuuck me.

It's my own personal 'Adrian Lewis Meat Feast' moment.

Beagle 2

All day breakfast in a tin. Beans, sausage, um, matter, another bit of matter. Fry an egg and slop that over the top. Serve with 9p Asda white sliced bread and lucozade. Sure, I failed my degree but I ate like a little slug.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 18, 2019, 03:38:52 PM
All day breakfast in a tin. Beans, sausage, um, matter, another bit of matter. Fry an egg and slop that over the top. Serve with 9p Asda white sliced bread and lucozade. Sure, I failed my degree but I ate like a little slug.

I remember when I was at uni I discovered value beans with sausages were cheaper than value beans.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on March 18, 2019, 03:15:23 PM
There's a potential sequel to this thread when everyone runs out and buys the missed foods (well the still extant ones anyway) then comes back to report how rank they now find them. I did this with those microwave Chicagotown pizzas recently. They were a treat when I was at uni as they were pricey but boy did I love them, then had one a few months ago, sodding vile they are.

I had one of them recently, the chippy/kebab shops had shut but tescos havent. Just tasted of tomato puree really.

I also bought 'fries to go' which are like microchips but every chip is wrapped in some metal stuff that gets hot. They were better than I anticipated.

jobotic

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 18, 2019, 03:21:07 PM
Had a similar experience with Ice Cream Chewitts when they brought them back on a limited run in B&M stores up north. My girlfriend loved them when she was a kid back in Latvia so we bought a ton of them in the B&M in Barrow In Furness during a Lake District holiday.

Absolutely disgusting. Chucked most of them away.

As a youth and during my brief university attempt I drank nothing but Newcastle Brown. Then i discovered the joys of cold lager and never looked back. At about the age of 30 I thought I'd try a Newcastle Brown for old times sake etc. Fucking revolting. I spent summer afternoons drinking that when I could have been on the Kronenberg.

Anyway you used to see it everywhere, even down here in wait for it Kent, but not so much now.

poo

Goblin Hamburgers in Gravy.

thenoise

Remember that weird curry you used to get in cheap pubs and school dinners, that was bright yellow, weirdly sweet and a bit sicky-smelling, and came with chicken veg and sultanas in it? I mean, I don't exactly miss it, but I wonder what it would taste like now my taste buds have experienced 'proper' Indian curry etc.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Buelligan on March 18, 2019, 03:25:24 PM
Applewood smoked cheddar.  Chips.  I don't miss them, as such, but you've made me think of them now.
These are not bad foods at all. Why, smoked cheese is one of the best things there is.

seepage

eons ago, Wimpy changed their very savoury & moreish burger mayo to some awful sweet nonsense. Probably for the best, really.

school Spam fritters (like jobotic). I could make some in the kitchen I suppose, if I had a kitchen.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Wankern™ Salad - German salad made of rectum, lettuce and cum
Grittelmünder® - stick the actual ground in your mouth and fuck off mmmmmmm, loved it. Can't beat ground.
Eddie Stobart's Pathfinder '98 - Vacuum packed roadkill - doesn't get fresher than run over - my favourite was dog. Limited edition so as usual it was all over too soon.

Buelligan

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 18, 2019, 03:57:38 PM
These are not bad foods at all. Why, smoked cheese is one of the best things there is.

I agree.  The cheese I mean, I remember it from British supermarkets, was covered in a weird orange greasy powder, it may well have been healthfood and I am doing it a disservice.

No smoked cheese to be had here (wholesome or pure fat rolled in chemicals).   I often toy with the idea of building my own smoker.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI also bought 'fries to go' which are like microchips but every chip is wrapped in some metal stuff that gets hot. They were better than I anticipated.

God knows what you thought they'd be like then because they make McCains Micro Chips taste like sex on a plate (in a good way)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thenoise on March 18, 2019, 03:56:54 PM
Remember that weird curry you used to get in cheap pubs and school dinners, that was bright yellow, weirdly sweet and a bit sicky-smelling, and came with chicken veg and sultanas in it? I mean, I don't exactly miss it, but I wonder what it would taste like now my taste buds have experienced 'proper' Indian curry etc.

Sounds like a vesta curry.

seepage

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 18, 2019, 03:57:38 PM

No. I did once develop a Partridge/Toblerone addiction to the German processed stuff, but Applewood smoked is definitely bad.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

When I was really hard up I got a few economy curries (60p for a meal, nae bad), and they were in the vesta mould. Stained everything with that turmeric glow, just try not to imagine the effect on your stomach. Stopped me from dying though so cheers cheap curries an that mate. The chicken was exactly the same flavour, texture and apparent quality that you get in a Waitrose/M&S curry.

seepage

Quote from: Buelligan on March 18, 2019, 04:04:13 PM
No smoked cheese to be had here (wholesome or pure fat rolled in chemicals). 

there's good reason for that. Also, it doesn't go with wine but, then again, neither does omelette aux fines herbes

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: seepage on March 18, 2019, 04:06:22 PM
Applewood smoked is definitely bad.
I smoke cheddar over applewood and it's delicious - especially with some sort of sweet chutney or pickle. Your gob must be wrong.
Quote from: Buelligan on March 18, 2019, 04:04:13 PMI often toy with the idea of building my own smoker.
Do.
Quote from: jobotic on March 18, 2019, 03:44:01 PMAs a youth and during my brief university attempt I drank nothing but Newcastle Brown. Then i discovered the joys of cold lager and never looked back. At about the age of 30 I thought I'd try a Newcastle Brown for old times sake etc. Fucking revolting. I spent summer afternoons drinking that when I could have been on the Kronenberg.
I had the same experience, but with cider. It's so acidic and even the dry stuff is horribly cloying.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Kronenbourg epiphany, now that is fucking desolate

madhair60

Ice cold lager is nice you piss golem.

Edit: Oh wait, it's Kronie specifically. Yeah, desolation sorry

Hemulen

I'm a sucker for off-kilter cheese flavour crisps, and those bastards (perhaps understandably) never seem to last. Here's just a few choice examples.

Cream n' Cheesy Nik Naks. Truly vile name, fucking transcendent crisp. Rather than the usual pungent orange Wotsit cheese flavour, these had a subtle buttery quality and were even a touch herby. Unique, irreplaceable. Not seen them in well over a decade.

Cheez-Ums flavour Pringles. A violently cheesy crisp that was not for the faint hearted. The corner shop opposite a house I spent just a single term in at uni (it was so cold and damp and inhospitable that it made my friend seriously ill) was the last place I saw them. The nacho cheese tortilla style Pringles aren't a million miles away, but the cardboardy corn variant is no match for a proper potato-based Pringle caked in honking cheese dust.

Speaking of tortilla chips, McCoys seem to have launched a probably flash-in-the-pan product called Muchos. They're very odd - puffy little tortilla-styled semicircles perforated into three segments. I've had their nacho cheese variant precisely once, and it was pure joy. Not only was it cheesy as fuck, but it had a gentle spicy warmth to it. They were reduced in the co-op and now seem to be nowhere locally. I'm toying with doing an online Asda shop just to get my fix.

Finally, not discontinued, just unavailable this side of the pond - Cheez-Its. The closest comparison to these would be those little cheesy crackers you get at buffets, but those don't hold a candle. America may have it's fair share of socio-economic woes, but my god they have nailed the art of small cheese flavoured crackers.

jobotic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 18, 2019, 04:12:04 PM
Kronenbourg epiphany, now that is fucking desolate

Not now, I drink better lager than that now. That's what i would have drunk back then, instead of Newcastle Brown.  In 1991.

Used to get these in Woolworths pick'n'mix - kind of milky-tasting nougat with rice crispies and a chocolate coating. My extensive online research suggests that they disappeared in the early 2000s.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Hemulen on March 18, 2019, 05:13:50 PM
I'm a sucker for off-kilter cheese flavour crisps, and those bastards (perhaps understandably) never seem to last. Here's just a few choice examples.

Cream n' Cheesy Nik Naks. Truly vile name, fucking transcendent crisp. Rather than the usual pungent orange Wotsit cheese flavour, these had a subtle buttery quality and were even a touch herby. Unique, irreplaceable. Not seen them in well over a decade.

Cheez-Ums flavour Pringles. A violently cheesy crisp that was not for the faint hearted. The corner shop opposite a house I spent just a single term in at uni (it was so cold and damp and inhospitable that it made my friend seriously ill) was the last place I saw them. The nacho cheese tortilla style Pringles aren't a million miles away, but the cardboardy corn variant is no match for a proper potato-based Pringle caked in honking cheese dust.

Speaking of tortilla chips, McCoys seem to have launched a probably flash-in-the-pan product called Muchos. They're very odd - puffy little tortilla-styled semicircles perforated into three segments. I've had their nacho cheese variant precisely once, and it was pure joy. Not only was it cheesy as fuck, but it had a gentle spicy warmth to it. They were reduced in the co-op and now seem to be nowhere locally. I'm toying with doing an online Asda shop just to get my fix.

Finally, not discontinued, just unavailable this side of the pond - Cheez-Its. The closest comparison to these would be those little cheesy crackers you get at buffets, but those don't hold a candle. America may have it's fair share of socio-economic woes, but my god they have nailed the art of small cheese flavoured crackers.

What's your stance on Cheese Moments? One has to draw the line somewhere.

thenoise

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 18, 2019, 04:05:14 PM
Sounds like a vesta curry.

That looks truly dreadful, although the ones I am thinking of were semi-homemade - think frozen veg mix, sultanas and chip shop curry sauce.  Come to think of it, maybe that's how they were made?

My Nan wouldn't dream of making curry without the all-important sultanas in, my Mum on the other hand was fond of adding sliced banana to her curry.  SToP GETTING CURRY WRoNG!