Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:26:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Important information re: the phrase "hot take".

Started by madhair60, March 18, 2019, 02:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
By royal decree, all instances of "hot take" must be IMMEDIATELY replaced with "spicy meatball"

Cerys

Twed

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 19, 2019, 04:14:35 PM
Nobody ever says 'precum' out loud do they?

Imagine if you were a 16 year old boy making your first forays into sexual relationships and upstairs in your partner's bedroom when fooling around they suddenly announced to nobody in general "precum!" and then got up and shouted down the landing, "precum!" and then their mother responded in quite a jolly way, "precum!" and then outside you could hear the two spooky little The Shining twin sisters skipping rope, exclaiming "precum!" with every jump. And then that sort of died down for a bit and you ignored it, until after dinner with their family the father took you aside, shook your hand and gave you manly embrace and conspiratorially whispered "precum" to you, before fixing your gaze and nodding. All of this happening to you, a boy, in Newmarket perhaps.

This has and never will occur, but I hope this exercise will help you come to terms with the idea of people saying precum out loud. It's important to be prepared.

JesusAndYourBush

Never heard of hot take.  In what context is it used?

Twed

Space ghost

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 20, 2019, 01:44:07 AM
Never heard of hot take.  In what context is it used?

It's a trump card or veto that you can use when someone makes an argument that you don't agree with.
You just say "hot take" and it's instantly discredited. It's absolutely devastating.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I laughed at the above Twed posts on this page

Icehaven

Can we add 'red flag' to cancelled phrases too please? I keep seeing it on here (two different threads today alone) and on news sites and it even turned up in a documentary I watched last night. I mean it's a perfectly valid, useful term, I'm just getting bored of it.

pancreas

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 19, 2019, 04:14:35 PM
Nobody ever says 'precum' out loud do they?

You mean like 'Mmm, this precum is a veritable epicurean delight!'? I don't suppose anyone says that out loud, no.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Space ghost on March 20, 2019, 02:36:16 AM
It's a trump card or veto that you can use when someone makes an argument that you don't agree with.
You just say "hot take" and it's instantly discredited. It's absolutely devastating.

There's a little more to it than that; it's when you disagree with someone's opinion but it's an opinion which is echoed by a lot of people, a lot of the time.  'Hot take', as in sarcastically saying 'wow, what an original sentiment!'.  None the less, it's a stupid thing to say and so I am glad that its usage is now officially banned for the rest of time.

For me tribalistic jargon is probably the most hateful element of the human race, its relly obnoxious and reduces the personality and individuality of a living being to a binary intellectual or moral code some1 else come up with . When people at work say someone is being a bit naughty when they've done something unprofessional or negligent or hateful or stupid or whatever it may be, I am inclined to fire them for the use of the word naughty and give a bonus to the person who actually stabbed someone in a meeting. When people parrot absolutely bullshit terminology that they are only using to seek entry to a particular group or to align them self blindly to someone else's world view I just think finish yourself. Your not fighting the good fight, you're an amoeba

It's intellectual and spirotually dishonest, it's an abandonment of self, it's anathema to progress . It's fuck all more than the console wars of identity politics..

Danger Man

Twed

Every time someone else says that I lose respect that they can't come up with their own phrase sorry to say

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 20, 2019, 07:15:19 PM
For me tribalistic jargon is probably the most hateful element of the human race, its relly obnoxious and reduces the personality and individuality of a living being to a binary intellectual or moral code some1 else come up with . When people at work say someone is being a bit naughty when they've done something unprofessional or negligent or hateful or stupid or whatever it may be, I am inclined to fire them for the use of the word naughty and give a bonus to the person who actually stabbed someone in a meeting. When people parrot absolutely bullshit terminology that they are only using to seek entry to a particular group or to align them self blindly to someone else's world view I just think finish yourself. Your not fighting the good fight, you're an amoeba

It's intellectual and spirotually dishonest, it's an abandonment of self, it's anathema to progress . It's fuck all more than the console wars of identity politics..

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 20, 2019, 07:40:29 PM
Every time someone else says that I lose respect that they can't come up with their own phrase sorry to say

I agree on the whole but I do think that the lingo of a specific forum, such as Cook'd and Bomb'd, is an exception.  It's more akin to an in-joke between close friends.

McFlymo

Twed