Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:17:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you use emojis in text messages?

Started by Barry Admin, March 18, 2019, 03:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

I started to use these stupid little bastards last year, reluctantly. What about you?

It just felt a bit weird not to, at some point. Like even my Mum started using them, and I wasn't sure what certain ones meant, or felt a bit of a stick in the mud not to be using them.

They're shit though, and I think words are still the best form of expression going. I hate reaction gifs, those are canceraids and can get to fuck.

momatt

They cost money in an SMS, so no!
They used to count as picture messages anyway.

Buelligan

I don't send text messages but if I did, they'd probably contain the best emojis in the world.  ;D

bgmnts

Did they used to be called emoticons or is that something I made up?

canadagoose

Quote from: momatt on March 18, 2019, 03:30:44 PM
They cost money in an SMS, so no!
They used to count as picture messages anyway.
They certainly shouldn't cost money. What phone do you have?

I do use them, yes. Never really used to but after getting WhatsApp a few years ago I ended up putting them in places. I don't know why; I just like how it looks, I suppose.

idunnosomename

I hate it when I do a nice retro smiley (":)" ":*(" "8:::::::::D") for ironic purposes and the oh-so-clever kit you have turns it into one of those stupid yellow faced cunty cartoons and makes me look like a prick.

Blumf

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Sebastian Cobb

Not if I can help it.

I've started using them in slack at work though. Mostly just default shrug 🤷 and facepalm 🤦 though.

FredNurke

No.

It took me a little while to realise that the two boxes that kept showing up in messages were supposed to be emojis.

thenoise

Use a smiley face to mean 'only joking' or 'I am being friendly here' or 'I am flirting with you', depending on context. Never really found any use for the others.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Blumf on March 18, 2019, 03:34:38 PM
🍆
What was the purpose of this one, before people started using it to refer to willies?

momatt

Quote from: canadagoose on March 18, 2019, 03:32:18 PM
They certainly shouldn't cost money. What phone do you have?

Oh, just heard that they cost money, so I got scared.

Blumf

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 18, 2019, 03:59:34 PM
What was the purpose of this one, before people started using it to refer to willies?

I think it was just one of many food items
https://emojipedia.org/food-drink/

Interestingly, dreaming of an Egg Plant on new years is good luck in Japan, which may explain why that particular fruit is listed 🤔:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatsuyume

Chollis

I wonder if anyone on CaB has ever used the crying-laughter emoji. I hope not. I'd think less of the place.

Barry Admin

canadagoose

Quote from: Chollis on March 18, 2019, 04:23:44 PM
I wonder if anyone on CaB has ever used the crying-laughter emoji. I hope not. I'd think less of the place.
Disgusting! I'd never do such a thing.

Quote from: canadagoose on January 09, 2019, 09:18:56 PM

Well, maybe sometimes.

St_Eddie

Never.  I refuse, even when it would be easier for me to use one to better convey friendliness or a deadpan joke.  Once you go down that path, it's a slippery slope.  You'll never find an emoji within a text or Internet post by me (unless I'm using it ironically), nor will you find any 'txt spk' (except for just then, when I used it in order to demonstrate what I'm referring to).  All of my texts are grammatically correct, which results in some very long text messages (and some mildly irritated friends, I shouldn't wonder).

up_the_hampipe

I use them ironically to retain my image of coolness, but secretly I just like using them.

paruses

Pretty much what St Eddie said. I use smiley faces in places where I don't really trust the other person to work out that something is dry humour or just patently absurd

One thing I like about CAB is the lack of emojis/emoticons and the faith in its readership, you bald bastards.

chveik

Quote from: paruses on March 18, 2019, 08:57:44 PM
One thing I like about CAB is the lack of emojis/emoticons and the faith in its readership, you bald bastards.

:)

alan nagsworth

Emojis are fucking great. They certainly aren't the language of tomorrow but for now they are the language of today. I reckon they'll become stale in a couple of years when there's an emoji for absolutely everything and people remember there's just a regular English language way of communicating and sack it off entirely.

But for now, emojis are ace.

Large Noise

I only really use the thumbs up.

I find it's a pleasant way to indicate that I won't be contributing further to the exchange.

zomgmouse

kittens

i don't really get it. like i get some of it, smiley face (I'm happy), unhappy face (I'm sad), being sick face (I am unwell), but most of the time when it is not a face expressing an emotion i fail to see the point. i went to the sea (picture of water) and saw a octopus (picture of octopus) and had a slice of pizza (picture of a slice of pizza) (picture of sunglasses man). i just don't do it as that is easier for me

Jumblegraws

Quote from: bgmnts on March 18, 2019, 03:32:01 PM
Did they used to be called emoticons or is that something I made up?
Emojis are actual pictures, emoticons are typographs :) the confusion comes from when messenger services started automatically replacing emoticons with an appropriate emoji

St_Eddie

Quote from: Jumblegraws on March 19, 2019, 12:13:50 AM
Emojis are actual pictures, emoticons are typographs :) the confusion comes from when messenger services started automatically replacing emoticons with an appropriate emoji

They're all emojis by the time etc.

Brian Freeze

More than twenty years ago I used to draw smileys at the end of handwritten letters.

Did I invent emojis? Am I owed some royalties here?

zomgmouse